I just want to say one thing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I am literally less than 15 feet from the front door, if you are going to stand there and holler "Hello! Hello!" and ring the bell over and over and over again you better be on fire or something. I cannot be any closer and get there any faster. What the bloody
potty-mouth.gif
is wrong with people.
If I ever show up at your door and do that, you have my permission to throw a vase at my head.
pita.gif

Opposite problem.
I have an old fashioned (turn type) doorbell. It's right in the MIDDLE of the door. People just stand there, don't ring, don't knock. Apparently I am supposed to know they are there by osmosis. Sometimes I will see a shadow through the frosted glass and know there is someone there, sometimes the dogs will sense something and do a low growl. Or the guest will call and say "I am at your front door ...."

and another thing...one thing...one more thing...
I know some of you say you don't get many online bookings, but I will say HANDS DOWN it is the callers who end up PITAS, WITHOUT A DOUBT, EVERY FLIPPIN' TIME!
I am almost always quite happy with our online guests, rarely ever are they anything other than wonderful guests. I should keep a list of this, this could be a study or something...

I know some of you say you don't get many online bookings, but I will say HANDS DOWN it is the callers who end up PITAS, WITHOUT A DOUBT, EVERY FLIPPIN' TIME!
I am almost always quite happy with our online guests, rarely ever are they anything other than wonderful guests. I should keep a list of this, this could be a study or something....
We follow this trend 100% here. The callers are GIANT PITA's...they just need to be special.

I am almost always quite happy with our online guests, rarely ever are they anything other than wonderful guests. I should keep a list of this, this could be a study or something....
I find it is the ones who book online and THEN call who have the most issues.

We don't get this ever. The ones who book online will just reply back to their confirmation if they have a question. Also, our answering machine says for fastest response send an email, most do. Unlike the woman who left THREE messages on the machine last week wanting to put 4 people in a room and have someone "sleep on the floor or something"...NOT!

my neighbour has a sign "please be aware this is a large house it is unlikely I am stood behind the door so please only ring once and wait for me to get there" I love it! my trouble is my bell is on a speaker so they can't hear it. However the front door and back door are glass the middle ie clear so they can clearly see there isn't anyone stood waiting so why do they think I am going to be there in 10 seconds? next to the back door is a side door to the kitchen extension ive seen them trying that sometimes idiots. Im bruising to be in a bad mood as I have a wedding part in who when I took them they sounded older on the phone ie 50 plus ie aunts and grans etc but they arnt. Booked early check in at 12 arrived at 11 (what a shocker!) came back between wedding and reception to get ready made a ton of noise banging in and out and all looking at each others rooms. Came up warned them all there were other guests and that they should be quiet all promised they would be but I doubt it and one of the room is above my bedroom so i will be furious if they wake me up!

my neighbour has a sign "please be aware this is a large house it is unlikely I am stood behind the door so please only ring once and wait for me to get there" I love it! my trouble is my bell is on a speaker so they can't hear it. However the front door and back door are glass the middle ie clear so they can clearly see there isn't anyone stood waiting so why do they think I am going to be there in 10 seconds? next to the back door is a side door to the kitchen extension ive seen them trying that sometimes idiots. Im bruising to be in a bad mood as I have a wedding part in who when I took them they sounded older on the phone ie 50 plus ie aunts and grans etc but they arnt. Booked early check in at 12 arrived at 11 (what a shocker!) came back between wedding and reception to get ready made a ton of noise banging in and out and all looking at each others rooms. Came up warned them all there were other guests and that they should be quiet all promised they would be but I doubt it and one of the room is above my bedroom so i will be furious if they wake me up!.
This is why we don't do weddings. I was a church organist in a former life, and I have had quite enough, thank you, with psychotic brides and their insane mothers.
BTW, love your "exploding toilets" tag.
Tom

my neighbour has a sign "please be aware this is a large house it is unlikely I am stood behind the door so please only ring once and wait for me to get there" I love it! my trouble is my bell is on a speaker so they can't hear it. However the front door and back door are glass the middle ie clear so they can clearly see there isn't anyone stood waiting so why do they think I am going to be there in 10 seconds? next to the back door is a side door to the kitchen extension ive seen them trying that sometimes idiots. Im bruising to be in a bad mood as I have a wedding part in who when I took them they sounded older on the phone ie 50 plus ie aunts and grans etc but they arnt. Booked early check in at 12 arrived at 11 (what a shocker!) came back between wedding and reception to get ready made a ton of noise banging in and out and all looking at each others rooms. Came up warned them all there were other guests and that they should be quiet all promised they would be but I doubt it and one of the room is above my bedroom so i will be furious if they wake me up!.
my neighbour has a sign "please be aware this is a large house it is unlikely I am stood behind the door so please only ring once and wait for me to get there"
Perfect! Just had someone ring the doorbell, walk inside, and ring the little dingy bell...all in about 3 seconds. Geesh people, we cannot apparate ala Harry Potter (totally wish I could though...)!!!!!

and I want to say one more thing...
A business route in a major city takes you through the business of the major city. I have NO IDEA why no one understands this. Do not GET OFF THE ONLY HIGHWAY I TOLD YOU TO TAKE FOR 25 miles. If you get off after the 2nd mile, then maybe you shouldn't. I am just sayin'...again, it is the innkeepers fault.
But hey I have only been up since 6am, bring it! I need to be here longer so direct you in.
"No one ever said to take a business route" let's add that to our tshirt.

We don't get this ever. The ones who book online will just reply back to their confirmation if they have a question. Also, our answering machine says for fastest response send an email, most do. Unlike the woman who left THREE messages on the machine last week wanting to put 4 people in a room and have someone "sleep on the floor or something"...NOT!
Why I say this is they are making sure they get their mitts on a room and THEN they start throwing stuff at us. Ex- room booked for tomorrow started of with what looked like 4 kids in it. No, I was told, 2 parents, 2 kids. NOW, after numerous back and forth emails and calls it is 2 parents, 2 kids AND 2 dogs. Give me strength.
They want to be sure I have sent the confirmation and then they start in with 'I need this and that...' because they know they have a confirmation.
Altho, seriously, wonderful guests so far this year. A few doozies, but nothing really bad. (And if the 2-2-2 does not work tomorrow, I will have a 'maximum number of breathing entities' policy.)

Why I say this is they are making sure they get their mitts on a room and THEN they start throwing stuff at us. Ex- room booked for tomorrow started of with what looked like 4 kids in it. No, I was told, 2 parents, 2 kids. NOW, after numerous back and forth emails and calls it is 2 parents, 2 kids AND 2 dogs. Give me strength.
They want to be sure I have sent the confirmation and then they start in with 'I need this and that...' because they know they have a confirmation.
Altho, seriously, wonderful guests so far this year. A few doozies, but nothing really bad. (And if the 2-2-2 does not work tomorrow, I will have a 'maximum number of breathing entities' policy.)
Nice...breathing entities! Watch out, they will then start bringing dead relatives with them..

A business route in a major city takes you through the business of the major city. I have NO IDEA why no one understands this. Do not GET OFF THE ONLY HIGHWAY I TOLD YOU TO TAKE FOR 25 miles. If you get off after the 2nd mile, then maybe you shouldn't. I am just sayin'...again, it is the innkeepers fault.
But hey I have only been up since 6am, bring it! I need to be here longer so direct you in.
"No one ever said to take a business route" let's add that to our tshirt..
Joey Bloggs said:
That shirt of yours will end up covering a small city by the time you are done adding to it! How about an innkeepers' quilt. I kind of like that idea.

Joey Bloggs said:
That shirt of yours will end up covering a small city by the time you are done adding to it! How about an innkeepers' quilt. I kind of like that idea.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It will be the ultimate curmudgeon apparel.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It will be the ultimate curmudgeon apparel.
wink_smile.gif

'Curmudgeon apparel'. I am all over that!

DH has a shirt that reads, "I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too promising, either."
I don't let him wear it infront of the guests.

DH has a shirt that reads, "I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too promising, either."
I don't let him wear it infront of the guests..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I don't let him wear it infront of the guests.
Funny. . . you sound like me!
teeth_smile.gif

In Annapolis I saw a quaint old-fashioned style wooden sign which read "Wait, let me drop everything and work on your problem!'. I desperately want to put that in my foyer!

We have the worse-aGHOST that rings the bell-im not joking! Its a house on a hill and you have to climb the stairs to the porch to even think about ringing the bell and running, yes we've looked at the damn thing and think maybe its a short-but then it would do it all the time and its not like we can't go at least look cause the wrap around porch sometimes obscures somebody by the door, so we have to go the length of the large house to the front door to see that no one is there. I've been watering the beds up front when my hubbie comes out and says: did you ring the doorbell? I said NO i did not, he did that three times a couple days ago...yea i know its disturbing.
But I get it the ghost we call him Willie rings it ONCE the guests that come ring and ring and ring, damn its a big house and it takes a little while to get up front, they are looking in the front window (door is glass) and they see me walking to the door and still THEY RING THAT DANG BELL-drives me more crazy than Willie doing it...

We have the worse-aGHOST that rings the bell-im not joking! Its a house on a hill and you have to climb the stairs to the porch to even think about ringing the bell and running, yes we've looked at the damn thing and think maybe its a short-but then it would do it all the time and its not like we can't go at least look cause the wrap around porch sometimes obscures somebody by the door, so we have to go the length of the large house to the front door to see that no one is there. I've been watering the beds up front when my hubbie comes out and says: did you ring the doorbell? I said NO i did not, he did that three times a couple days ago...yea i know its disturbing.
But I get it the ghost we call him Willie rings it ONCE the guests that come ring and ring and ring, damn its a big house and it takes a little while to get up front, they are looking in the front window (door is glass) and they see me walking to the door and still THEY RING THAT DANG BELL-drives me more crazy than Willie doing it....
It may be the humidity. It could also be a bug getting into the works. My smoke detector used to go off all the time in the humidity. (Until my son hit it with a frying pan.)
I noticed the other day that I cannot see in the glass door when I'm outside. So I have forgiven guests who have rung the bell as I am opening the door. Without pressing their noses against the glass, they can't see in. (And, I do have nose prints on the glass. Ugh.)

Back