I know this is early but. . .

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do Christmas up big! I stick with a traditional Victorian theme. I use White, Gold and Burgandy. Lots and Lots of garland! Make it as thick as you can using various types of greenery. I mix them and twist them together. Since this is so much work and takes a very long time (I have made over 190 feet), you will want to use the immatation stuff and just add real branches into it. Also anything 'real' that you can add is nice, like pine cones, berries, nuts, etc. Even some fruit like, pears. We start very early so use only the freshest branches so they don't brown too quickly. I also make all my own centerpieces. We really love the smell of pine, and miss it here so much (they even spray paint the trees here to our horror! LOL. Last year we had our old Christmas tree farm from back home (WA) mail us a real wreath! Oh what a joy. All this can get very pricey so watch for christmas stuff at estate sales and auctions. some times you can get some of real good quality for a great price. We lost "ALL" our Christmas stuff in a fire and had to start all over. We got a lot of good stuff at estate sales.
I do have a question for all you though. Last year we had a tree in each room. Now two of those rooms are guest rooms, do you all put christmas trees up in your guest rooms? just wondering..
A small tree in each room. Decorated with the room colors. Example The Rose Room Dried roses, lace, very Victorian. The Berry Room has small Strawberries on it.

I do Christmas up big! I stick with a traditional Victorian theme. I use White, Gold and Burgandy. Lots and Lots of garland! Make it as thick as you can using various types of greenery. I mix them and twist them together. Since this is so much work and takes a very long time (I have made over 190 feet), you will want to use the immatation stuff and just add real branches into it. Also anything 'real' that you can add is nice, like pine cones, berries, nuts, etc. Even some fruit like, pears. We start very early so use only the freshest branches so they don't brown too quickly. I also make all my own centerpieces. We really love the smell of pine, and miss it here so much (they even spray paint the trees here to our horror! LOL. Last year we had our old Christmas tree farm from back home (WA) mail us a real wreath! Oh what a joy. All this can get very pricey so watch for christmas stuff at estate sales and auctions. some times you can get some of real good quality for a great price. We lost "ALL" our Christmas stuff in a fire and had to start all over. We got a lot of good stuff at estate sales.
I do have a question for all you though. Last year we had a tree in each room. Now two of those rooms are guest rooms, do you all put christmas trees up in your guest rooms? just wondering..
One more thing.. I am trying to put together a victorian tour / festival for our town.... any ideas? I want to include a home tour, and carriage rides. and victorian dressed carolers and perhaps some indoor venders selling items.
other thoughts?????
I am not doing this alone, btw.
Last year I was a part of a tour that supports JDRF " Juvenile Diabetes "
It includes 8 houses, is a wonderful event. The gals in charge of it find the houses, do the advertising etc.

I fill the outside pots with greens and red ribbons. Looks great and is not costly. I also bought personal lanterns like they have at the Christmas Tour at Mount Vernon. They are hung on Shephard's hooks with candles. The candles last all night. We have a huge iron pot in front also. In the summer it has flowers, in the winter it is full of greens and red ribbons, one lantern coming out of the center. Works great, but if I let it get too frozen, then I have to thaw the dirt to get the greens in place.

I fill the outside pots with greens and red ribbons. Looks great and is not costly. I also bought personal lanterns like they have at the Christmas Tour at Mount Vernon. They are hung on Shephard's hooks with candles. The candles last all night. We have a huge iron pot in front also. In the summer it has flowers, in the winter it is full of greens and red ribbons, one lantern coming out of the center. Works great, but if I let it get too frozen, then I have to thaw the dirt to get the greens in place.

You guys are a wealth of info! Thanks!
Well I made the calls and have our first 'planning' meeting scheduled for next Tuesday! yay! only two people couldn't make it. Thats pretty good for such short notice. So far I have one person from each of these, the Chamber of Comm, City council member (a real mover and shaker), Economic Development Director, Asst president of the historical society, a local merchant, The manager of the hotel that is three doors down, and a resident that is in the historical district. Thats a pretty good collection of folks to get this going I think!
One thing we ran into is we can't block off the street... I guess its a main hwy! yah, i forget that these little towns do that. :( boo hoo) I had the whole thing pictured in my head. But we can use a side street, it just won' t be the same as doing it on "main". Hopefully we will be able to get all the merchants to buy into the idea and they will all stay open and do up their shops big! The merchant who is on the planning committee, had in her shop a 'living' window last year. It was pretty awesome.
We have a big empty building on one of the corners with big windows (it used to be a JCPennys bldg). I was thinking since the library is out side of the down town area we could set up the Santa reading childrens stories there. It'd be kinda neat because everyone walking by would get to see in.

I couldn't get either one to work... boo hoo. But I love the idea. we have a town photog that may do this. I 'm sure my dh wouldn't want to.

They do not do this here yet, but if it is early DEC then photos are a great idea since people can use them as or in their Christmas cards. If it is an evening event and people are dressed up with hats and scarves, it works well. Sitting on a horse drawn buggy or with Santa etc.
This is the pic we took near our gate/buggy. It was a hot Indian Summer when we took this, the poor lady was sweltering under all those petty coats. I mixed it up a bit to be printable for the brochures.
xofv36.jpg

One more thing.. I am trying to put together a victorian tour / festival for our town.... any ideas? I want to include a home tour, and carriage rides. and victorian dressed carolers and perhaps some indoor venders selling items.
other thoughts?????
high street victorian said:
other thoughts?????
Your weather may dictate things done diff than here.
We have a "Come home to a Home Town Christmas" each Dec. Block off the main street downtown - at the end of our street, buggy rides, LLAMAS (diff nno profits get involved so kids can pet animals etc) carolers, chestnuts roasting, craft vendors, local groups sell food, the best part is walkign the street with it closed. All businesses are open - with specials. Music inside some of them and giving away spiced cider and hot cocoa. Library is open with Santa reading stories and caroles. All Victorian themed, so those INVOLVED are dressed this way.
Businesses all have WHITE LIGHTS for the event and tree decorating contests where people go and look and vote.
I had them come over here and take some pics for the flyers two years in a row all dressed in their gear.

Back