I learned something new today

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if guests are smokers as they get up bright and early and go out to the parking area. (I didn't think they were at check in) Or perhaps there is something in the car they need? But it happens ALOT. I never really gave it too much thought, but it happens here all the time.
Today the guest says good morning, we have small talk then he says he is going out to "check on the car."
AH HA! THAT IS IT!
It is extremely strange hearing that in this town where seldom doors are locked, let alone vehicles and people still - yes hard to swallow, leave them running to run in for a gallon of milk!
NOW I KNOW!

PART 2 Did you hear me gasp? or was that a choking sound? I wonder if my eyes gave me away when they widened?
Her hubby is out taking photos, she says "I might just set my purse down here, that's okay isn't it? Noone will steal it? I trust you all."
SHEESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
What do you have in there? How about us TRUSTING YOU with everything we have in this place? Non B&B people - they just never get it do they!!
I will try not to take this personal...I know it is how they live where they live. Just hard to take.
I am so funny, the sun is shining, the leaves are gorgeous, they just had a fantastic breakfast and hospitality…would seem that would be the LAST thing on their minds. But again, it is how they live where they live.

Makes you thankful you don't live that way, doesn't it? I'm like you...like to appreciate all the good things.

I have to laugh when I hear guests fiddling with the locks to get back into the room they locked behind them when they left. They have to turn the key and the door knob at the same time. Too difficult! Then there are those who just leave the door wide open!
This is also a town where people leave their doors unlocked and keys in the car. Come to think of it, I forgot to bring my purse in yesterday when we came home from the mall and forgot to bring it in after Chapel. It is still in the car. Will get it when the guests leave.

PART 2 Did you hear me gasp? or was that a choking sound? I wonder if my eyes gave me away when they widened?
Her hubby is out taking photos, she says "I might just set my purse down here, that's okay isn't it? Noone will steal it? I trust you all."
SHEESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
What do you have in there? How about us TRUSTING YOU with everything we have in this place? Non B&B people - they just never get it do they!!
I will try not to take this personal...I know it is how they live where they live. Just hard to take.
I am so funny, the sun is shining, the leaves are gorgeous, they just had a fantastic breakfast and hospitality…would seem that would be the LAST thing on their minds. But again, it is how they live where they live..
I'm amazed by the folks who come to brekiie with a purse. What do you need a purse for at brekkie? BUT, they've traveled and have been told to never leave your purse in your room, even at brekkie.
I think the comment to you (whoever all of 'you' were) was probably more out of needing to say 'something' rather than being snarky.
You could always prep yourself for the next one...'Sure, leave it right there. I promise I won't check YOUR bags for MY silverware, either!'
Personally, I do not want to be responsible for someone's purse. If they want to set it down to go outside and they ask me in advance about the safety of doing so, I usually say it would be better to put it in the room, rather than to leave it out.

SHEESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
I am so funny, the sun is shining, the leaves are gorgeous, they just had a fantastic breakfast and hospitality…would seem that would be the LAST thing on their minds. But again, it is how they live where they live..
I'm amazed by the folks who come to brekiie with a purse. What do you need a purse for at brekkie? BUT, they've traveled and have been told to never leave your purse in your room, even at brekkie.
I think the comment to you (whoever all of 'you' were) was probably more out of needing to say 'something' rather than being snarky.
You could always prep yourself for the next one...'Sure, leave it right there. I promise I won't check YOUR bags for MY silverware, either!'
Personally, I do not want to be responsible for someone's purse. If they want to set it down to go outside and they ask me in advance about the safety of doing so, I usually say it would be better to put it in the room, rather than to leave it out.
Bree said:
or toilet rolls! ha ha Seashanty gave us a good one for her last guest there!

i would rather NOT be responsible for someone's purse. better that they lock it in their room.
i wouldn't take it personal, i am thinking of the behavior of other guests. and i am thinking they are basically asking you to watch their purse because of others, not you. i'm behind a big wall cooking while a purse is sitting there unattended? could be tempting for someone. folks have left them here and nothing has happened but please don't ask me to watch it for you.
before anyone freaks about what i've said, let me say this.
1. i had a guest two summers ago who went ballistic thinking someone had entered her room and stolen her designer purse. turns out, she left it in a nearby restaurant.
2. my daughter had her wallet stolen from her purse at a party where everyone was supposedly a 'friend'. every guest was known to her ... she was in shock and very hurt. and what a nightmare to cancel credit cards, get a new license, the whole thing. worse, she had flown in for this party, so did not have her license (now required to fly) nor her plane ticket. tidy sum of cash, of course, gone. atm card gone. called 'mommy' pleading for help. what a nightmare. she never figured out who lifted the wallet, no one admitted seeing anything, no bogus charges were attempted on the cards. we figured whoever did it just took the cash and disposed of the wallet somewhere.

i would rather NOT be responsible for someone's purse. better that they lock it in their room.
i wouldn't take it personal, i am thinking of the behavior of other guests. and i am thinking they are basically asking you to watch their purse because of others, not you. i'm behind a big wall cooking while a purse is sitting there unattended? could be tempting for someone. folks have left them here and nothing has happened but please don't ask me to watch it for you.
1. i had a guest two summers ago who went ballistic thinking someone had entered her room and stolen her designer purse. turns out, she left it in a nearby restaurant.
2. my daughter had her wallet stolen from her purse at a party where everyone was supposedly a 'friend'. every guest was known to her ... she was in shock and very hurt. and what a nightmare to cancel credit cards, get a new license, the whole thing. worse, she had flown in for this party, so did not have her license (now required to fly) nor her plane ticket. tidy sum of cash, of course, gone. atm card gone. called 'mommy' pleading for help. what a nightmare. she never figured out who lifted the wallet, no one admitted seeing anything, no bogus charges were attempted on the cards. we figured whoever did it just took the cash and disposed of the wallet somewhere..
seashanty said:
2. my daughter had her wallet stolen from her purse at a party where everyone was supposedly a 'friend'. every guest was known to her ... she was in shock and very hurt. and what a nightmare to cancel credit cards, get a new license, the whole thing. worse, she had flown in for this party, so did not have her license (now required to fly) nor her plane ticket. tidy sum of cash, of course, gone. atm card gone. called 'mommy' pleading for help. what a nightmare. she never figured out who lifted the wallet, no one admitted seeing anything, no bogus charges were attempted on the cards. we figured whoever did it just took the cash and disposed of the wallet somewhere.
there was noone else here BUT ME! My kids were even sleeping in and I WAS IT. No other guests. I can't imagine telling her "bring your purse back upstairs" She was leaving and they went out to take photos. Like mentioned, the things we have are more valuable than what she has (I can assure you).
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
It is habit. I understand that. I HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD # lady!

I don't think the guests suspect us of anything but we have other guests in the house and you never know about anybody really. Just because someone is a bb host doesn't mean they might not be a thief. It's not likely but then who knows. In the case of cars it could be anybody in the town, on the street, driving by that could do something.
If I had a wad of money in my purse I might not bring my purse but I'd bring my money. Just being smart and maintaining a very good habit.
I've stayed at bbs that don't lock the outside door. Bad news! I want to ensure my guests are protected.

SHEESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Non B&B people - they just never get it do they!!
Do what I do. Greet guests carrying a shotgun. It quickly establishes your authority and earns their trust. I think I've only had to shoot one or two guests since I started to doing that. Oh, don't worry...they deserved it. It's really funny when they try to run.

Back