I love my new cleaning person, but not the way she dresses.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't wear polo shirts ... i don't like them on me.
seashanty aka problem child.
seashanty said:
seashanty aka problem child
Not just you...I look like a sack of potatoes in them.
Morticia said:
seashanty said:
Truthfully, polos only look good on trim/slender/svelte people -- i.e. the models in the catalogs. Of course, if you buy them, you will automatically look just like the models in the catalogs, right?
Can I get an AMEN here? ;)

seashanty said:
Me too. We got some and my husband is wearing them. HE looks great in them, the rat!

seashanty said:
Morticia said:
seashanty said:
Truthfully, polos only look good on trim/slender/svelte people -- i.e. the models in the catalogs. Of course, if you buy them, you will automatically look just like the models in the catalogs, right?
Can I get an AMEN here? ;)
Look good? Os that in the equation? I am fat and dumpy, but it is polo and aprons with me.

I had a great part-time cleaning person who showed up in all kinds of themed tee shirts in various states of wear, along with jeans. She works as a housekeeper for a lot of folks and that's her "uniform". When she started work for me, I just told her that although she probably wouldn't have much guest contact, she might, so I wanted her to represent the B&B by wearing our special tee shirt and jeans. I ordered just a few inexpensive tee shirts from Vistaprint. Some were long-sleeved and some were short sleeved.
She wore them for about 3 weeks and then went back to wearing whatever.
When I asked what happened to her tees, she said she could never find them. So I kept some here for her to change into if there were guests in the house. Otherwise I didn't care what kind of tee she wore.
Some people are just not like us....

When I worked for a very large inn, I worked in several capacities. When I had my breakfast service/housekeeper hat on, we were expected to wear blue jeans and a white shirt of some kind. They had logo'd aprons for the staff to wear that we just picked up in the laundry room. The aprons were great because they had pockets and offered some protection from cleaning agents. The aprons in the best shape were used to serve breakfast and then some of the gently used ones were good for cleaning rooms. I appreciated having those available to me to prevent ruining my clothes.

Samster said "Some people are just not like us...."
Why did you bust my bubble!!!
cry_smile.gif

Yes, bras are important. There are not many places a person can work that would not require a bra (unless there is nothing there to matter). Was she wearing a bra when you interviewed her? If so, she IS aware that it is important in a place of employment. If she does not want to wear a bra - send her to the neighborhood H00Ters where she may fit in.
The most important thing is the fact that even if guests would not have contact, they may see her come and go. It is important that all guests feel that their things are safe in their rooms. And even though she may be as honest as the day is long, people may not preceive that by her appearance. (It is hard for me to see past the full body tattos, nose and facial piercings, etc. either.)

cry_smile.gif

Yes, bras are important. There are not many places a person can work that would not require a bra (unless there is nothing there to matter). Was she wearing a bra when you interviewed her? If so, she IS aware that it is important in a place of employment. If she does not want to wear a bra - send her to the neighborhood H00Ters where she may fit in.
The most important thing is the fact that even if guests would not have contact, they may see her come and go. It is important that all guests feel that their things are safe in their rooms. And even though she may be as honest as the day is long, people may not preceive that by her appearance. (It is hard for me to see past the full body tattos, nose and facial piercings, etc. either.).
This reminds me of the e-mail I got recently about the generation gap.
Young granddaughter comes down the stairs to go to the mall wearing a see-through blouse and nothing under it. Grandma has a fit. Granddaughter says, "get with it Grandma, gotta let my rosebuds show. next day, Grandma is sitting in the hall topless. Granddaughter is horrified because her friends are comig over. Grandma says, "If you can show your rosebuds, I can show my hanging baskets."

Had my own cleaning business where I worked right along with my gals.
In younger days, I wore shorts and sleeveless top which was comfortable for me and allowed mobility to reach fans and cabinet tops etc. However, I always wore a bra and when bending over, nothing was exposed (didn't want to scare the family pet. lol)
As years went by, it was sleeveless top and jeans.
In a country inn or B&B, cover up. I'm not too thrilled about the apron though. But you are the boss.

cry_smile.gif

The most important thing is the fact that even if guests would not have contact, they may see her come and go. It is important that all guests feel that their things are safe in their rooms. And even though she may be as honest as the day is long, people may not preceive that by her appearance. (It is hard for me to see past the full body tattos, nose and facial piercings, etc. either.).
This reminds me of the e-mail I got recently about the generation gap.
Young granddaughter comes down the stairs to go to the mall wearing a see-through blouse and nothing under it. Grandma has a fit. Granddaughter says, "get with it Grandma, gotta let my rosebuds show. next day, Grandma is sitting in the hall topless. Granddaughter is horrified because her friends are comig over. Grandma says, "If you can show your rosebuds, I can show my hanging baskets."
LOL You go, grandma. The cougar of all cougars.

There was (is) a restaurant downtown that wanted to expand its concept in the metropolitan area. One high-profile location came complete with a mid-price chain hotel, so the restaurant company became a restaurant-and-hotel company. The hotel was always treated as an after-thought by management, so the housekeeper unilaterally expanded her job description as she saw fit. Her "hobby" was antiquing, and she convinced the owners that to be really successful, they should replace all the standard-issue same-old-same-old hotel furniture with antiques, and make each room unique. Like a Victorian bed and breakfast, without the breakfast, unless you wanted to eat in the expensive restaurant conveniently located in the lobby.
Anyway, as part of her grand scheme, she also redesigned the maids' uniforms to this, complete with caps. The plan, of course, completely fell apart before the boys' uniform could be figured out.
If you get resistance on the more modest attire, you could just let it be known that you are considering a uniform "more in keeping with the style and age of the house."

There was (is) a restaurant downtown that wanted to expand its concept in the metropolitan area. One high-profile location came complete with a mid-price chain hotel, so the restaurant company became a restaurant-and-hotel company. The hotel was always treated as an after-thought by management, so the housekeeper unilaterally expanded her job description as she saw fit. Her "hobby" was antiquing, and she convinced the owners that to be really successful, they should replace all the standard-issue same-old-same-old hotel furniture with antiques, and make each room unique. Like a Victorian bed and breakfast, without the breakfast, unless you wanted to eat in the expensive restaurant conveniently located in the lobby.
Anyway, as part of her grand scheme, she also redesigned the maids' uniforms to this, complete with caps. The plan, of course, completely fell apart before the boys' uniform could be figured out.
If you get resistance on the more modest attire, you could just let it be known that you are considering a uniform "more in keeping with the style and age of the house.".
We have a cafe in town called Bettys and it is run in the traditional victorian style and that is exactly what they wear! Looks nice though! I have no clue how they launder the stuff though.

If you get resistance on the more modest attire, you could just let it be known that you are considering a uniform "more in keeping with the style and age of the house.".
We have a cafe in town called Bettys and it is run in the traditional victorian style and that is exactly what they wear! Looks nice though! I have no clue how they launder the stuff though.
I spent a week in York last November after I joined my husband who was over there working in Knaresborough for 2 weeks. Went to Betty's, but I really enjoyed some of the smaller tea rooms that the locals favored.

I spent a week in York last November after I joined my husband who was over there working in Knaresborough for 2 weeks. Went to Betty's, but I really enjoyed some of the smaller tea rooms that the locals favored.
Thats cool I personally think Betty's is a bit over rated as I am not going to que for a cup of tea (I think their gift range of tea and coffee is excellent though) I live about 5 mins drive from Knaresborough! I live in Harrogate just up the road!

Thats cool I personally think Betty's is a bit over rated as I am not going to que for a cup of tea (I think their gift range of tea and coffee is excellent though) I live about 5 mins drive from Knaresborough! I live in Harrogate just up the road!
Yes....my dh took the train from York every day to Knaresborough and walked 1.5 miles to the office with a work colleague. They never got to leave the building to explore anything around them. :-( I know the next stop on the train was Harrogate.
The company put them up in York, which worked out great for me after I joined him. I could leave the hotel and walk and explore the City Centre. No car, so I couldn't explore more of Yorkshire though. :-( We still enjoyed it very much and I definitely want to go back. Loved all the outdoor markets. There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK. :)
We had been to the UK quite awhile before this...1982!!

Yes....my dh took the train from York every day to Knaresborough and walked 1.5 miles to the office with a work colleague. They never got to leave the building to explore anything around them. :-( I know the next stop on the train was Harrogate.
The company put them up in York, which worked out great for me after I joined him. I could leave the hotel and walk and explore the City Centre. No car, so I couldn't explore more of Yorkshire though. :-( We still enjoyed it very much and I definitely want to go back. Loved all the outdoor markets. There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK. :)
There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK.I don't know if it tastes better there, but UK tea definitely tastes better here!!! One charming British couple brought me a huge (I mean huge) box of Yorkshire tea last fall and I still believe that tea kept me from freezing this past winter.

There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK.I don't know if it tastes better there, but UK tea definitely tastes better here!!! One charming British couple brought me a huge (I mean huge) box of Yorkshire tea last fall and I still believe that tea kept me from freezing this past winter.
Last time he was in the UK my #3 son sent me a box of Yorkshire tea and a guest sent me some Lifeboat tea. I also have rooibus from South Africa - from an inn-mate here in WV. Her husband is from there and she is from Zimbabwe.

I'm gonna stick to my original claim that it just tastes better over there!
regular_smile.gif
Probably part of the whole package of getting your own special pot of tea and sipping it while totally relaxed! haha....

I'm gonna stick to my original claim that it just tastes better over there!
regular_smile.gif
Probably part of the whole package of getting your own special pot of tea and sipping it while totally relaxed! haha....
The water is different, too. But it's really the idea you're on vacation that does it! How many times we've had guests rave about a perfectly commonplace breakfast is due to someone else serving them and being relaxed enough to enjoy it!

I'll have to send you out a box they make Yorkshire tea in my town.

Back