I love my new cleaning person, but not the way she dresses.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was (is) a restaurant downtown that wanted to expand its concept in the metropolitan area. One high-profile location came complete with a mid-price chain hotel, so the restaurant company became a restaurant-and-hotel company. The hotel was always treated as an after-thought by management, so the housekeeper unilaterally expanded her job description as she saw fit. Her "hobby" was antiquing, and she convinced the owners that to be really successful, they should replace all the standard-issue same-old-same-old hotel furniture with antiques, and make each room unique. Like a Victorian bed and breakfast, without the breakfast, unless you wanted to eat in the expensive restaurant conveniently located in the lobby.
Anyway, as part of her grand scheme, she also redesigned the maids' uniforms to this, complete with caps. The plan, of course, completely fell apart before the boys' uniform could be figured out.
If you get resistance on the more modest attire, you could just let it be known that you are considering a uniform "more in keeping with the style and age of the house.".
We have a cafe in town called Bettys and it is run in the traditional victorian style and that is exactly what they wear! Looks nice though! I have no clue how they launder the stuff though.
I spent a week in York last November after I joined my husband who was over there working in Knaresborough for 2 weeks. Went to Betty's, but I really enjoyed some of the smaller tea rooms that the locals favored.
Thats cool I personally think Betty's is a bit over rated as I am not going to que for a cup of tea (I think their gift range of tea and coffee is excellent though) I live about 5 mins drive from Knaresborough! I live in Harrogate just up the road!
Yes....my dh took the train from York every day to Knaresborough and walked 1.5 miles to the office with a work colleague. They never got to leave the building to explore anything around them. :-( I know the next stop on the train was Harrogate.
The company put them up in York, which worked out great for me after I joined him. I could leave the hotel and walk and explore the City Centre. No car, so I couldn't explore more of Yorkshire though. :-( We still enjoyed it very much and I definitely want to go back. Loved all the outdoor markets. There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK. :)
We had been to the UK quite awhile before this...1982!!
There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK.I don't know if it tastes better there, but UK tea definitely tastes better here!!! One charming British couple brought me a huge (I mean huge) box of Yorkshire tea last fall and I still believe that tea kept me from freezing this past winter.
I'll have to send you out a box they make Yorkshire tea in my town.
The brand I have is Taylors of Harrogate...that's where you live isn't it. Oh, wonderful tea....

There was (is) a restaurant downtown that wanted to expand its concept in the metropolitan area. One high-profile location came complete with a mid-price chain hotel, so the restaurant company became a restaurant-and-hotel company. The hotel was always treated as an after-thought by management, so the housekeeper unilaterally expanded her job description as she saw fit. Her "hobby" was antiquing, and she convinced the owners that to be really successful, they should replace all the standard-issue same-old-same-old hotel furniture with antiques, and make each room unique. Like a Victorian bed and breakfast, without the breakfast, unless you wanted to eat in the expensive restaurant conveniently located in the lobby.
Anyway, as part of her grand scheme, she also redesigned the maids' uniforms to this, complete with caps. The plan, of course, completely fell apart before the boys' uniform could be figured out.
If you get resistance on the more modest attire, you could just let it be known that you are considering a uniform "more in keeping with the style and age of the house.".
We have a cafe in town called Bettys and it is run in the traditional victorian style and that is exactly what they wear! Looks nice though! I have no clue how they launder the stuff though.
I spent a week in York last November after I joined my husband who was over there working in Knaresborough for 2 weeks. Went to Betty's, but I really enjoyed some of the smaller tea rooms that the locals favored.
Thats cool I personally think Betty's is a bit over rated as I am not going to que for a cup of tea (I think their gift range of tea and coffee is excellent though) I live about 5 mins drive from Knaresborough! I live in Harrogate just up the road!
Yes....my dh took the train from York every day to Knaresborough and walked 1.5 miles to the office with a work colleague. They never got to leave the building to explore anything around them. :-( I know the next stop on the train was Harrogate.
The company put them up in York, which worked out great for me after I joined him. I could leave the hotel and walk and explore the City Centre. No car, so I couldn't explore more of Yorkshire though. :-( We still enjoyed it very much and I definitely want to go back. Loved all the outdoor markets. There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK. :)
We had been to the UK quite awhile before this...1982!!
There's something about tea that tastes better in the UK.I don't know if it tastes better there, but UK tea definitely tastes better here!!! One charming British couple brought me a huge (I mean huge) box of Yorkshire tea last fall and I still believe that tea kept me from freezing this past winter.
I'll have to send you out a box they make Yorkshire tea in my town.
regular_smile.gif
We have shortbread biscuits in the cupboard. I need to go back to Yorkshire!

We have uniforms here, or at least a pretty good dress code. I have learned some good things on this subject from the megayacht folks where appearance is everything (from formal marine crew wear to everyone wearing khaki from head to toe in order to blend in with the decking when owners don't want to have to "see" their crew - good grief - but that happens when you have owners who are "too good to be around the common people"). Granted, everyone working here as crew will have some guest interaction. We wear khaki shorts (shorts or skorts for the ladies with skorts being preferred), and a white polo shirt with the yacht and her name embroidered on the left. Simple, uniform and clean. On something more formal in nature such as a wedding or a spreading of ashes off shore, we may wear black shorts/skorts with the white shirts - whatever we do, we all wear the same color combination.
When chartering rather than bed-and-breakfasting, the captain will wear a captain's shirt with bars and khaki shorts. I learned that you never, never, never want to show your armpit which is why, no matter how hot it gets, we never wear tank tops. Exception - if we are doing some sort of water activity that requires a modest bathing suit - scuba diving would be an example guiding guests on a snorkeling tour.
Tee-shirts are just too casual looking - it's fine for the guy washing/waxing the yacht back at the dock (that's usually me, too!), but guests aren't on board then.
A friend of mine has encountered crew wearing white biking shorts, a red thong underneath, and a tank top while catering to an older upscale crowd. Oh my....
I've never encountered the "no bra" problem. I think I'd have to say something about that, even as much as I like to go braless myself, but never when guests are on board.

I cannot imagine going braless! Hanging loose - they HURT! Of course I never was the rosebud - the baskets have been hanging forever!

Just as a side point I had ordered a Free tee shirt with Head Housekeeper on it and a flower from Vistaprint for my chamber maid and she loves it (came yesterday and is wearing it today) and asked if I would order more so she can wear them all the time! I think people quite like a uniform as it saves making clothing decisions and especially housekeeping as it trashes your clothes. (I ordered a white one because of the bleach)

I cannot imagine going braless! Hanging loose - they HURT! Of course I never was the rosebud - the baskets have been hanging forever!.
Mom once told me I would fill out, but at 57 I am beginning to doubt this.....

Just as a side point I had ordered a Free tee shirt with Head Housekeeper on it and a flower from Vistaprint for my chamber maid and she loves it (came yesterday and is wearing it today) and asked if I would order more so she can wear them all the time! I think people quite like a uniform as it saves making clothing decisions and especially housekeeping as it trashes your clothes. (I ordered a white one because of the bleach).
Nice.

I have ordered shirts and aprons from Queensboro Shirt Company.
www.Queensboro.com/freeshipping - The great thing is they do embroidery without a minimum purchase and don't charge for set up.
So you can order 4 shirts for $10 and not have to pay a hefty set up fee.
I like their aprons also. I have had a guest or 2 buy the aprons I had for sale when I purchased 4.

As a side bar had thought about aprons with a design on to wear to do breakfast with the B&B name on met a lady at a trade fair who made aprons and thought about it afterwards but never managed to find her again which is a shame. Thought tan couloured apron with dark blue "Camberley" on would look smart.

Just as a side point I had ordered a Free tee shirt with Head Housekeeper on it and a flower from Vistaprint for my chamber maid and she loves it (came yesterday and is wearing it today) and asked if I would order more so she can wear them all the time! I think people quite like a uniform as it saves making clothing decisions and especially housekeeping as it trashes your clothes. (I ordered a white one because of the bleach).
Small world alert from across the Pond....I think I ordered that same free tee for our housekeeper but with our inn name on it. :) My suggestion is to keep a couple at your place so if your housekeeper forgets to wear it one day, it's there for her to change into.

Small world alert from across the Pond....I think I ordered that same free tee for our housekeeper but with our inn name on it. :) My suggestion is to keep a couple at your place so if your housekeeper forgets to wear it one day, it's there for her to change into.
I am not worried about enforcing it as a uniform as she always dresses smartly (black jogging bottoms and a plain T-shirt or Polo Shirt) She just seemed super happy to have a title and a uniform so I am running with it. If something as little as that keeps a valued member of staff happy it is nothing is it?

I am not worried about enforcing it as a uniform as she always dresses smartly (black jogging bottoms and a plain T-shirt or Polo Shirt) She just seemed super happy to have a title and a uniform so I am running with it. If something as little as that keeps a valued member of staff happy it is nothing is it?
Absolutely! I always tried to do things to keep my housekeeper happy. Without her, I would have been sunk on many occasions!

Back