I love my new cleaning person, but not the way she dresses.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have a new cleaning person. She is very nice, very fast and thorough. I hired her just to clean and nothing else. She has no guest interaction what so ever.
That said, I hate the way she dresses. I don't know if I should say anything because she has nothing to do with the guests. Should I just thank my lucky stars I have a good cleaning person and be done with it?
Just for clarification, she tends to wear too short shorts for her matronly physique and goes braless. My guess is she was a hippie chick in the 60's....just to paint the picture for you.
What would you do?

You should most definitely speak with her. Her appearance reflects upon you and your inn and it's important that she maintain some decorum.
I know it's never easy to speak with an employee about their appearance. But you really can't avoid it. If you do, you'll grow resentful and whenever guests are around you'll be embarrassed. Don't let it get that far.
Be sure to tell her how much you like her and her work but that there are some basics about dress that each employee must adhere to. Then list those things and get her agreement that she'll adhere to them.

If guests will see her and she doesn't reflect your 'look' then you need to speak with her. Explain you would prefer she wore clothing more in line with your inn's look including shorts to the knee and a bra.
That said, we had one who wore Salvation Army clothing in multiple layers and dreadlocks. She looked like a rag bag all the time. I would never have her help at breakfast but we're not a really posh place, she got good tips, so I don't think anyone found her amiss. But, we did draw the line at the short shorts and halters for another housekeeper. Just told her her work was wonderful but we didn't want guests falling down the stairs because she happened to walk by. (She was 20, so she looked good in what she wore it just wasn't appropriate.)
This year's housekeeper ASKED what was appropriate. We told her just don't show up like you're going to the beach. She was actually embarrassed by that and said she never goes to the beach!
I guess the thing is to be as diplomatic as possible, don't cast aspersions on her choice of attire, just say it doesn't fit her place of employment. She can still be cool in longer shorts and at least a tank or cami with a built-in bra. Sweating while cleaning without a bra on is not comfortable at all.

Give her a company polo shirt AND an apron..
Joey Bloggs said:
Give her a company polo shirt AND an apron.
Just one reason why it's always great to have some imprinted shirts on hand.
And the apron is a brilliant solution for the, well, loose appearance.
Will still need some longer shorts, though...

She is your employee and you should have discussed what approriate attire was for the job when she was hired. If you did not, then now is the time. I like the idea of providing her with the Logo Shirt...makes her part of the team..and then suggest longer shorts or jeans would be more appropriate.

I guess this means a little sheet for each new hire with APPROPRIATE WORK APPAREL listed on it now.
This is why we are control freaks...really, we don't try to be!!
I hired a gal and gave her a printed shirt and she wore it OUTSIDE the B&B (it was too nice to work in)and was the most wonderful advertisement at the pubs...NOT! No biggee really, she only last a couple days here.

FD btw you always have fun threads, just wanted to let you know.
cheers.gif
Now I have to go find that bra and shoes for check in, dang it, thought I would get away with it today. (LOL)

i don't think you can force an employee to wear a bra. but you CAN provide shirt and apron as JB said. that is exactly what i had to do ... girls showing up in shorts or pants that hung way low, shirts showing cleavage and belly. some were heavy, some were thin ... the point was, that was not the image i wanted for my place.
they were already working here and i presented it as .....
'hurray! the work clothes are here! now your nice clothes won't get spoiled while you are working (bleach, cleaning aids, etc)' i explained that we all had to be easily identifiable as employees, that we have to project a professional image, blahblahblah. some liked it, some did not. and i understood the pulling off of the apron because they were hot.
one girl kept on wearing her pants that showed her thong underwear. gross. i told her 'we mostly have older guests who aren't used to pretty girls in beach wear ... so we need to cover you up ... modest attire' blahblahblah i didn't think she looked pretty, alluring, or anything like that but she did.
i bought BIG teeshirts with the name of the place imprinted on them. i do mean BIG. and i kept them AT the b&b ... laundered them myself. why? no excuses ... 'oh, i just came from sleeping over my gf's house and i didn't have my work shirt with me'
i had them change when they got to me and leave the soiled stuff behind ... as in 'i will take care of laundering the staff clothes'
no interaction with guests? how is that possible? they will see her cleaning at some point, surely. that's interaction enough.
you are walking a fine line here. really, tell her you're waiting on the staff uniforms that you've ordered and you LOVE how great she is at her job. be sure to be effusive with the compliments, you don't want to lose her.
good luck!

I would go with a uniform idea my cleaning lady luckily dresses appropriately (polo type t-shirt and plain black jogging bottoms) but I would quite like her to be recognisable as staff so am having some vista print t-shirts done to have a look at. Had one done for my mum as a laugh and she really likes it. But if she is as good as you say then it needs to be handled diplomatically. For example where I used to work one of the girls turned up to work on her first day in high heeled sandles to work in the restaurant. I knew she would be crippled and you can't wear open toe as it is against health and safety but she seemed nice so didn't want to play it heavy handed so just said oh gosh you are going to be crippled in those shoes and that you want something with toes just in case you splil anything or drop anything. She was out of those sandles in 3 hours and took my advice she was and is excellent with customers in the restaurant and is still working there now. I might leave it a little bit till you know one another better and can tell how she will take it and what to say.

Give her a company polo shirt AND an apron..
Joey Bloggs said:
I would but we are not a logo apparel kind of place. We may not be a posh place either, but a bra is a given!
wow.gif

The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I would but we are not a logo apparel kind of place. We may not be a posh place either, but a bra is a given!
wow.gif
No, it's obvious a bra is not a given. To avoid that sinkhole of a conversation, the aprons might work. Polos won't hide anything.

It would be worth your while - if she is a good housekeeper - to go to the mall or T-shrt place and have a couple shirts made with your inn's name printed on them. Does not have to be a logo. Definitely make them polo shirts because they look nicer. Even DH wears his GH polo shirts when guests are here - and I don't even have to ask him to because they do look nice. If you get aprons that have pockets across the front, she will find they are handy for carrying things so wearing the apron will not be a biggie. Maybe.

i don't wear polo shirts ... i don't like them on me.
seashanty aka problem child

Polo shirt and apron are for braless housekeepers. :).
Forget the Logo'd stuff...you just want her to be presentable. Tell her what you expect and stick to it. You are the BOSS!...unless she really doesn't ever see anyone...and you love her work...then let her be.,

Back