I LOVE my newest pancake recipe

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
I don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not really a big fan of pancakes, but I love, love, love these.
Carrot Cake Pancakes .... They are so flavorful, so moist, so rich - they look beautiful and they hold really well. I don't have an exact recipe, but it couldn't be simpler (especially ifI start with a generic pancake mix - shhh, don't tell)
I just add shredded carrots (lots of them), raisins, pecans, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar and then top them off with a vanilla / lemon cream cheese glaze.
Certainly not for everyone - DH HATES them, but he doesn't like ginger or nuts.

yikes! next time you make them, someone needs to get the recipe using 'the nana method' !
my mother's mother was an awesome baker, but she used handfuls, half handfuls, pinches and dashes ... followed by tasting ... literally. so, to get recipes, my mother would measure my nana's handful of flour, handful of sugar etc. to see how much that was in cups after she would toss 'a couple handfuls' in a bowl.

yikes! next time you make them, someone needs to get the recipe using 'the nana method' !
my mother's mother was an awesome baker, but she used handfuls, half handfuls, pinches and dashes ... followed by tasting ... literally. so, to get recipes, my mother would measure my nana's handful of flour, handful of sugar etc. to see how much that was in cups after she would toss 'a couple handfuls' in a bowl..
Actually, seashanty, I may be related to your nana...only I realized the pitfalls a while ago and actually measured what one of my handfuls is! Awhile ago, I got pretty good at measuring out teaspoons into my hand. There was an oooooold episode of the Frugal Gourmet where he was trying to make a point about how important it is to measure seasoning. He poured an amount into his hand and challenged whoever-it-was there to guess how much it was. It looked like A LOT...and then he deftly poured it all into a standard teaspoon measure. Anyway, it inspired me to learn what one of "my" handfuls, palmfuls, etc is so I have an objective notion of what I'm doing. Cause I hate it when something comes out great and I can't do it again.
Wait - I must be related to your nana - because that's how my mother measured everything.

my mother's mother was an awesome baker, but she used handfuls, half handfuls, pinches and dashes ... followed by tasting ... literally. so, to get recipes, my mother would measure my nana's handful of flour, handful of sugar etc. to see how much that was in cups after she would toss 'a couple handfuls' in a bowl..
Actually, seashanty, I may be related to your nana...only I realized the pitfalls a while ago and actually measured what one of my handfuls is! Awhile ago, I got pretty good at measuring out teaspoons into my hand. There was an oooooold episode of the Frugal Gourmet where he was trying to make a point about how important it is to measure seasoning. He poured an amount into his hand and challenged whoever-it-was there to guess how much it was. It looked like A LOT...and then he deftly poured it all into a standard teaspoon measure. Anyway, it inspired me to learn what one of "my" handfuls, palmfuls, etc is so I have an objective notion of what I'm doing. Cause I hate it when something comes out great and I can't do it again.
Wait - I must be related to your nana - because that's how my mother measured everything.
I'm guilty of this method of measure too--mainly when I do "creative" baking, trying to come up with something new. I fuss til it looks/tastes like what I have in mind. Then the problem is to replicate it! Getting smarter now I'm trying to jot things down as I go.
Made some really good blueberry/cream cheese sweet rolls --now to duplicate them!

I'm guilty of this method of measure too--mainly when I do "creative" baking, trying to come up with something new. I fuss til it looks/tastes like what I have in mind. Then the problem is to replicate it! Getting smarter now I'm trying to jot things down as I go.
Made some really good blueberry/cream cheese sweet rolls --now to duplicate them!
white pine said:
Part two to that statement should be "...and then post the recipe on innspiring.com so that all my friends can have them, too!" ;)

white pine said:
Part two to that statement should be "...and then post the recipe on innspiring.com so that all my friends can have them, too!" ;)
Will do. DH wants more. Maybe next week I will play again. P.S. check out the glazed lemon bread it is GOOD.

O.K. got us guessing--how many shreaded carrots are a lot? I love carrot cake, and these sound interesting. Just roughly how much do you put in relative to the mix (for how many)?

Back