I may be done...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inncogneeto

Reaction score
with the special food requests.
angry_smile.gif

Request for gluten free this weekend, went out and got all the stuff, checked all the websites of the ingredients for the menu for the whole weekend, to make sure, house of 8 this weekend. 1 gluten-free person, but not wanting to make 2 of everything, i bought enough gluten free stuff to make for everyone.. And we all know this stuff costs 4 times as much as the regular, not including the cost of the gas to go to all the specialty stores to get it.
G-girl barely touches any of the food I made, including to die for brownies and the peanut butter cookies, and the kicker is, when she came down this morning as I am about to serve breakfast:
"I hope it's not too late, but I won't be staying for breakfast."
WHAT????!!!!
And not so much as a thank you for accommodating her diet for her stay...
No more! Bring your own food people!

You have my sympathies.
If I can make a suggestion...(I'll duck as you hurl the frying pan at the monitor)...when we have someone like that we do one of two things...offer the gluten person scrambled eggs or make them the same thing as everyone else except using gluten free products. Now, I know you said you didn't want to make 2 of everything, but we generally make a french toast or pancakes with the gluten free products if everyone else is having FT or pancakes. We cook the GF in a separate pan in case the allergy is severe.
As for snacks, I label everything 'contains gluten, contains wheat, contains nuts' whatever the allergy is. Unless it's a whole house of GF's or nut allergies, I don't go crazy with the snacks anymore. Those gluten free p-nut better cookies are great, or a bowl of fruit.

Yesterday they said they'd eat at 9. 10ish they ran past the dining room and out the door.
I feel your pain...
=)
Kk.

I had that this weekend too! To go so far out of their way to be sure you know what they can/can't eat, then not even to show up for breakfast, let alone have the courtesy to tell me you're not COMING to breakfast! I think this upsets me even more than the person who's been booked for 6 months but never bothered to read any of our policies or their confirmation and so doesn't tell you until they sit down for breakfast that they can't eat what you made...grrrr!
On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs.

I had that this weekend too! To go so far out of their way to be sure you know what they can/can't eat, then not even to show up for breakfast, let alone have the courtesy to tell me you're not COMING to breakfast! I think this upsets me even more than the person who's been booked for 6 months but never bothered to read any of our policies or their confirmation and so doesn't tell you until they sit down for breakfast that they can't eat what you made...grrrr!
On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs..
InnsiderInfo said:
On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs.
Those frozen waffles are great. We had a guest bring them and she left them here. We served them to another guest who loved them so we now keep a pkg in the freezer. I call them 'toaster waffles' when I ask if they would like to try them. (Rather than 'frozen waffles' which sounds like we're not even trying.) I don't want to imply that we made them from scratch, either.

You have my sympathies.
If I can make a suggestion...(I'll duck as you hurl the frying pan at the monitor)...when we have someone like that we do one of two things...offer the gluten person scrambled eggs or make them the same thing as everyone else except using gluten free products. Now, I know you said you didn't want to make 2 of everything, but we generally make a french toast or pancakes with the gluten free products if everyone else is having FT or pancakes. We cook the GF in a separate pan in case the allergy is severe.
As for snacks, I label everything 'contains gluten, contains wheat, contains nuts' whatever the allergy is. Unless it's a whole house of GF's or nut allergies, I don't go crazy with the snacks anymore. Those gluten free p-nut better cookies are great, or a bowl of fruit..
Almost all of my standards, baking powder, vanilla etc are gluten free anyway, but it's the specialty flours at 13 bucks a bag and specialty chocolate chips at 5 bucks a bag...etc...it's the having to check every little thing, the spices, your salt and sugar, because they may be processed in a place that also does wheat...
We did our normal pancakes and waffles, but with the special flours. She was told prior to arrival that we cook with wheat every day and that we cannot guarantee a wheat free environment, that we can prepare gluten free foods but only if her allergy was not severe, she said great!

On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs..
InnsiderInfo said:
Those frozen waffles are great. We had a guest bring them and she left them here. We served them to another guest who loved them so we now keep a pkg in the freezer. I call them 'toaster waffles' when I ask if they would like to try them. (Rather than 'frozen waffles' which sounds like we're not even trying.) I don't want to imply that we made them from scratch, either.
"Toaster Waffles"...love it! We are fairly rural here and I am so glad that our grocery store just did a renovation and added two big aisles of "organic" type things...found these waffles, along with some muffins and a nice selection of breads that are all gluten free.
Most people with special dietary needs are so considerate, they usually bring along their own "staples" because they don't want to be a bother...but all it takes is one PITA to give all the others a bad name!

Yes, but did you toast those waffles in the same toaster that you toast your wheat bread in? They could have a reaction from the waffle coming in contact with the residue in the toaster, that's a violation!
We would have to have a separate wheat free kitchen to accommodate these guests to the standard, that's what I'm getting at...
It's impossible. I think for liability's sake, it's safer to not offer it anymore.

And another thing, you have to check your soaps and shampoos, etc. if you offer handmade soaps, you better make sure there are no ingredients, like oats or chemicals in soap making derived from products that contain wheat, Alcohols, etc, these things can cause the same reactions and skin reactions in these people..
AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten.....

You have my sympathies.
As for snacks, I label everything 'contains gluten, contains wheat, contains nuts' whatever the allergy is. Unless it's a whole house of GF's or nut allergies, I don't go crazy with the snacks anymore. Those gluten free p-nut better cookies are great, or a bowl of fruit..
Almost all of my standards, baking powder, vanilla etc are gluten free anyway, but it's the specialty flours at 13 bucks a bag and specialty chocolate chips at 5 bucks a bag...etc...it's the having to check every little thing, the spices, your salt and sugar, because they may be processed in a place that also does wheat...
We did our normal pancakes and waffles, but with the special flours. She was told prior to arrival that we cook with wheat every day and that we cannot guarantee a wheat free environment, that we can prepare gluten free foods but only if her allergy was not severe, she said great!
inncogneeto said:
OK, I don't go that far. If they have 'death' allergies, then I feed them eggs. Period. We've done the separate butter, separate spatula, separate bowl, etc. But I'm not redoing the whole operation. So, the toaster waffles could only be for someone who doesn't have the 'death' allergy.

I have a recipe from another B&B where you use the frozen gluten free waffles and make french toast with those...haven't tried it but sounds like a good idea!
Mary Jo

I came to that conclusion a while ago. If it is not a simple 'leave out an item' then I won't make it. After I nearly gagged other guests with the gluten free blueberry pancakes that the gluten-free gal thought were heavenly and the other found putrid!
No more. I am with you.
When the lady from CA's hubby came ito the kitchen this past week WHILE I was cooking the meal and said "She has dietary restrictions" and then when she saw what everyone else had feigned innocence and said "No I DON'T! I just didn't want what you were making" and then saw how great it was. Too bad so sad. She asked for PLAIN OATMEAL and was LUCKY SHE GOT IT! This ain't no rest-au-rant. You do not come to the table and PLACE YOUR ORDER.
I concur. Don't bend over backwards. You provide an excellent special meal and they could care less. ENOUGH! as my husband says, ENOUGH!

And another thing, you have to check your soaps and shampoos, etc. if you offer handmade soaps, you better make sure there are no ingredients, like oats or chemicals in soap making derived from products that contain wheat, Alcohols, etc, these things can cause the same reactions and skin reactions in these people..
AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten......
inncogneeto said:
Ridiculous. STAY AWAY FROM MY B&B if you are like this.
Most people with special dietary needs are so considerate, they usually bring along their own "staples" because they don't want to be a bother...but all it takes is one PITA to give all the others a bad name!
I find this statement to be false. In my experience (here), they are not considerate. They demand a special diet. Very few have said "Don't worry about it we bring our own" including Vegans. I cannot even buy organic cereal without whey. So it is tough here. We are not in the city where we can shop like that.

probably didn't realize all the trouble you went to ... you had all that stuff on hand 'anyway', didn't you? so sorry!

AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten......
SORRY but they can bring their own special soaps and toothpaste and whatever else...that is so far beyond the call of duty for an innkeeper to provide. If someone says they have special dietary needs, you can just say, I am sorry, but am unable to accommodate you as I cannot spend the extra time and money it takes to cater to YOUR SPECIAL NEEDS. OR on your website, just list. "We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs." and that is that!!!! IF they then want to bring their own foods then let them. There comes a point where you have to draw the line
pita.gif

inncogneeto said:
I find this statement to be false. In my experience (here), they are not considerate. They demand a special diet. Very few have said "Don't worry about it we bring our own" including Vegans. I cannot even buy organic cereal without whey. So it is tough here. We are not in the city where we can shop like that.
Well, I should clarify to include the fact that both my policies and my confirmations very FIRMLY state that we are happy to oblige special requests IF we are extended the courtesy of being notified of them at the time the reservation is made. So I guess I've technically bullied most of our special-needers into being courteous.
Our area is pretty well known for "old-fashioned" meat and potatoes type cooking, maybe that has something to do with their expectations. I'm sorry you have to deal with that kind of "entitlement' attitude, that is just rude.

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You wouldn't do it even if the health food store was on the corner.
wink_smile.gif
None of us would. (OK, some of us would.) I have had maybe 2-3 guests in 4 years say they would bring their own food when they have restrictions. Everyone else expects us to whip up a great breakfast just for them. Where the hell they eat lunch & dinner, I don't know.
I have/had a guest who only eats a certain brand of plain yogurt (no dairy). That goes along with the scrambled eggs (plain) and corn muffins (no sugar, no wheat) that she will eat. The first day of her last trip here I fed her the special breakfast and her husband and 'visiting' son the breakfast everyone else got. THEN the husband and son asked for HER meal as well. 3 days of that. So, free meal for son for 3 days (6 breakfasts) and 6 breakfasts for her husband.
She calls to tell me she'll be late and runs down the entire list of foods she's been eating on the road to stay awake. You got it...chocolate, sugar, candy bars, lattes. That dietary thing is a punishment she inflicts on herself for whatever bizarro reason.

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
None of us would. (OK, some of us would.) I have had maybe 2-3 guests in 4 years say they would bring their own food when they have restrictions. Everyone else expects us to whip up a great breakfast just for them. Where the hell they eat lunch & dinner, I don't know.
I have/had a guest who only eats a certain brand of plain yogurt (no dairy). That goes along with the scrambled eggs (plain) and corn muffins (no sugar, no wheat) that she will eat. The first day of her last trip here I fed her the special breakfast and her husband and 'visiting' son the breakfast everyone else got. THEN the husband and son asked for HER meal as well. 3 days of that. So, free meal for son for 3 days (6 breakfasts) and 6 breakfasts for her husband.
She calls to tell me she'll be late and runs down the entire list of foods she's been eating on the road to stay awake. You got it...chocolate, sugar, candy bars, lattes. That dietary thing is a punishment she inflicts on herself for whatever bizarro reason.
This is one I think I would no longer cater to. If she can eat that, why would I knock my socks off with ll the special stuff? UNLESS she comes often and then revenue beats pique!

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
This is one I think I would no longer cater to. If she can eat that, why would I knock my socks off with ll the special stuff? UNLESS she comes often and then revenue beats pique!
Actually, I think she's done here. But everytime I say that she calls and makes a rez. She gets the same food each time so it's really not a big deal. It's just the idea that it's ok to make me make special food when she isn't going to die eating whatever is put in front of her, she justs wants someone to pay attention to her. (And that right there is the crux of it. And probably quite a few 'dietary restrictions' fall into that category.)
I do get a fair share of guests who respond 'diabetic' when I ask them if there are any restrictions. And then they proceed to say, 'But don't go out of your way for me, honey, I'm on vacation, I'll adjust my meds according to whatever you're serving.'
On the same token I have a friend who was getting free meals for awhile (visiting a sick parent in the hospital) and she would send food back because she refused to eat anything that wasn't on her list of approved foods. I thought that was over the top.

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
Actually, I think she's done here. But everytime I say that she calls and makes a rez. She gets the same food each time so it's really not a big deal. It's just the idea that it's ok to make me make special food when she isn't going to die eating whatever is put in front of her, she justs wants someone to pay attention to her. (And that right there is the crux of it. And probably quite a few 'dietary restrictions' fall into that category.)
I do get a fair share of guests who respond 'diabetic' when I ask them if there are any restrictions. And then they proceed to say, 'But don't go out of your way for me, honey, I'm on vacation, I'll adjust my meds according to whatever you're serving.'
On the same token I have a friend who was getting free meals for awhile (visiting a sick parent in the hospital) and she would send food back because she refused to eat anything that wasn't on her list of approved foods. I thought that was over the top.
Ahhh, yes. I have one like that too. She loves the fact the we give her the attention (and space when she wants it to do whatever) that she feels she does not get elsewhere. But I am small. I do not have the sheer numbers you hav eto contend with so a "special case" is not a big problem for me. As for food, mine just wants oatmeal and blueberries every morning - so that is what she gets - with muffins, fuit, coffee, etc and if it is good weather, on the porch because that is where she likes to have breakfast and read her book.
But that is what we are selling to our guests - Attention!

Back