I need affirmation!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep having people say to me "Your rates are very reasonable" how should I take that? too cheap? or just right?.
Proud TX wrote "I keep having people say to me "Your rates are very reasonable" how should I take that? too cheap? or just right?"
You just need to watch for a while. If you keep hearing that you may want to inch up your rates a little at a time, but you don't want to scare off your potentials either. You need to have time to get to know the market in the area. Keep your eyes on what the area hotels and other B&B's charge and how they compare to your place.

I keep having people say to me "Your rates are very reasonable" how should I take that? too cheap? or just right?.
Proud TX wrote "I keep having people say to me "Your rates are very reasonable" how should I take that? too cheap? or just right?"
You just need to watch for a while. If you keep hearing that you may want to inch up your rates a little at a time, but you don't want to scare off your potentials either. You need to have time to get to know the market in the area. Keep your eyes on what the area hotels and other B&B's charge and how they compare to your place.
Copperhead said:
I agree. 'Very reasonable' could be code for 'Wow! What a deal!' When that wasn't what he had in mind at all.

Copperhead said:
I agree. 'Very reasonable' could be code for 'Wow! What a deal!' When that wasn't what he had in mind at all.
I think we're competative. There's only a couple of other B&Bs in the area, but nothing like ours. Their rates are about the same, but they offer a different kind of B&B experience.
I think Copperhead's advice about waiting is a very prudent approach. We've only been open 3 1/2 weeks. (Booked every weekend!)
I can see easing up on the rates. DW and I want to add additional amenities, but couldn't think about doing it at the current rate level.

We are having the same thing here. Times are tight and people are being cautious with their money.
I had 4 calls before a gal booked for an event here because her dh thought the rate was too high (that was with a military discount). I didn't do a hard sell. I just said, "Check hotel rates and then factor in our amenities and you'll see what a great value we are for the money. If you want to stay someplace really inexpensive, I can recommend some of the newer and cleanest motels. Also, please send your dh to TripAdvisor to see our reviews and see if he thinks that he'll get his money's worth". They booked 2 nights.
If things weren't still so slow right now, I probably wouldn't have put that much energy into it. One of the other B&Bs called me yesterday to ask me to recommend them for the week we are on vacation. They were booked almost solid for the week. They had over half of their rooms cancel!
I think unless you're in a true year round tourist destination or very established, we're going to see this. Our Fall should be picking up more than it is. The other established B&Bs are slower than they should be too.
Tough on those of us who have just opened, but we'll just have to keep watching it to see what to do. You are certainly busier than we are here so you must be doing something right!
teeth_smile.gif

We are having the same thing here. Times are tight and people are being cautious with their money.
I had 4 calls before a gal booked for an event here because her dh thought the rate was too high (that was with a military discount). I didn't do a hard sell. I just said, "Check hotel rates and then factor in our amenities and you'll see what a great value we are for the money. If you want to stay someplace really inexpensive, I can recommend some of the newer and cleanest motels. Also, please send your dh to TripAdvisor to see our reviews and see if he thinks that he'll get his money's worth". They booked 2 nights.
If things weren't still so slow right now, I probably wouldn't have put that much energy into it. One of the other B&Bs called me yesterday to ask me to recommend them for the week we are on vacation. They were booked almost solid for the week. They had over half of their rooms cancel!
I think unless you're in a true year round tourist destination or very established, we're going to see this. Our Fall should be picking up more than it is. The other established B&Bs are slower than they should be too.
Tough on those of us who have just opened, but we'll just have to keep watching it to see what to do. You are certainly busier than we are here so you must be doing something right!
teeth_smile.gif
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
THAT was an excellent save! Good for you to highlight everything in a positive manner and to offer to lead them to the 'best of the rest'.

teeth_smile.gif
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
THAT was an excellent save! Good for you to highlight everything in a positive manner and to offer to lead them to the 'best of the rest'.
Thanks, I'm learning! I try to be a glass half full person. I'm adding a Fall gas savings to our website too. I need to get people in the doors here.

If you have no intention then you what you are doing, it is RIGHT.
My room that is $130 now was $90 when we bought this place. It may have been one of those "priced too low" situations. I listened carefully to the then Prez of BBAV and monitored it closely. I raised it to $130 a month ago, I had it at $125 after making the two twins into a king and it has been a good seller ever since.
So don't be afraid to change anything or tweak it after a year down the road. That is what we all do. I was thinking about some of this how much I have chaned from day 1.
I got interrupted and hit save on that.
Anyway - I was thinking about how much I have learned, much from this forum and other innkeepers on many aspects of innkeeping. Nothing in a book compares, nor a seminar. Just little tidbits of useful things we pick up on. Example: I will never buy 100% cotton sheets, I gave them all to goodwill and started with a cotton/poly mix and have saved myself much aggravation and time.
Update: Two months ago I bought the guest small microwave and so far not one person has used it (That I know of). But I do have a week long stay coming up and I BETCHYA they will appreciate it for leftovers etc.
So keep doin' what you are doin' and good things will come.
wink_smile.gif
I actually had a couple of guests tell me I need to raise my rates! I thought I was exactly in the middle of what the local B&B's are offering!

Copperhead said:
I think we're competative. There's only a couple of other B&Bs in the area, but nothing like ours. Their rates are about the same, but they offer a different kind of B&B experience.
I think Copperhead's advice about waiting is a very prudent approach. We've only been open 3 1/2 weeks. (Booked every weekend!)
I can see easing up on the rates. DW and I want to add additional amenities, but couldn't think about doing it at the current rate level.
sounds like your in the same boat we are. we too are new, and people tell us our rates are very reasonable and that we should raise our rates. we too are watching and waiting.

To those who said they are getting, "Oh those rates are quite reasonable" - you probably are too low. The answer to that is this: "That is our introductory rate for this year." The raise your rates by about $5 or so.
Kk, I think your assessment that they are seminarians looking for the $25 bed is correct - or else they are the fleabag variety. Neither is going to pay for a decent place so fergitaboudit! You have a lovely facility with excellent amenities. Do not sell yourself short. Just remember this for a mantra - It can all change with a phone call!
I am having my best year ever. I have been busy since April. September - even with me having to block off 6 nights for Conferences - is busy and October is filling up also. Everyone knows I am in Podunk! I am not even on most maps because my city is only about 2300 pop. I have been getting a lot of 3-nighters this year. Gas prices have not stopped anyone because driving is the only way to get here.
We have a couple who were here in August to take their daughter back to school who within 2 weeks were booking for 2 nights in October. My rates are $125 for the ensuite and $95 each for the shared. I have also sold a lot of packages that are even sweeter ($$$)!

For everyone who quibbles, there is at least one other guest who will just book!
Had a cancellation for Columbus Day. This guest has been coming here for this weekend for 2 nights for waaaay longer than I have been here. She's like a fixture here for that weekend. Circumstances beyond her control intevened and she's not able to come. (I'll book her in for next year once I get the Oct calendar set up.)
Emergency email to all my 'buds' in the area and I got a THREE night booking for that weekend for the empty room, no questions even asked about the price.
I realize that days gone by with no bookings are lost forever, but sometimes you get that prize booking by being patient and open to possibilities.
Right now I need to book 30 more room nights in Sept to meet last year's occ. That's steep. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't.

Back