I need affirmation!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Seems like the last three calls I've had have started with "How much are your rooms?" The last caller had an accent (Asian)... "Oh, that's not cheap!" (I love internationals, they're so honest!) The Americans all say, "Oh, OK, I'll check and call you back." (Yeah, right.)
So, I mention it to my sister (mistake?) who says, "that's not cheap." I tell her I don't want to be cheap, that we're so much nicer than a hotel! And we do get bookings... And I have been happy with the kinds of guests we get...
I have no intention of lowering my prices, but until I get my next reservation I'm feeling uncertain...
Thanks!
=)
Kk.

You are doing the right thing. You are a terrific kid. You need a little confidence in your decisions. These idiots will pass. Real guests will call. You won't be living in a trailer down by the river. (Chris Farley skit on SNL.)

You are doing the right thing. You are a terrific kid. You need a little confidence in your decisions. These idiots will pass. Real guests will call. You won't be living in a trailer down by the river. (Chris Farley skit on SNL.).
LOL! Thanks!
=)
Kk.

I think your rooms are quite reasonable! You don't want those people at your Inn. For example, we have some friends who stay at the cheapest place they can find when they go to Disneyworld (when I say cheapest, I mean $29.99...you can only imagine what they are getting for that price
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
) and I for one would NEVER want them to spend the night at my house!!! Better those kind of people stay away!

Stick to your guns! You might explain to them that the prices of the room is commensurate with the quality of lodging experience. We're new too, but what seems to work for us is selling the whole package. B&Bs are different and, if you're like us, you've gone to great pains to make things comfortable for your guests. If they want cheap canned lodging, they can go to a motel. If you wanted to provided cheap lodging, you would have opened one.
YellowSocks said:
The last caller had an accent (Asian)... "Oh, that's not cheap!"
Possible Phone Response: Oh, but you are?

You can also use this as a learning experience for yourself by asking, 'What is your price range for your room and breakfast?' You can also say (as I do), 'Let me refer you to a motel with lower prices.' Then give them a phone number. Many times they then protest they were not wanting a motel, but a B&B and you can use this as a chance to teach them that B&B's offer amenities beyond the motel and include a FULL, homemade breakfast , not out of a tin.
If they give me a chance, I am always gracious. But most of the time they hang up.

I have found that
  1. people ARE what they are willing to pay
  2. things that can be had cheaply are treated that way
  3. the only things expensive about "cheap people" are the damages they tend to leave behind (because, "hey, it can't be worth that much or the rates wouldn't be so low"), and the time they demand of you (usually by complaining)
Take a deep breath, and keep telling yourself "It's not worth having cheap guests . . . "
BTW, your rates are quite reasonable!

Well, the guests we had last weekend said our rates were just right.
But I just got the best affirmation of all... repeat customer showed up at the door just now (surprise!) wondering if I have rooms this week... I have tonight and tomorrow, but I'm full house on Thursday.
I'm guessing there's a class going on at the seminary for a week. The caller was asking about Sunday thru Thursday, and this guy needs M-T-Th. That's cool. And it explains the bargain seekers, too.
YAY!!
(And thanks...)
=)
Kk.

If you have no intention then you what you are doing, it is RIGHT.
My room that is $130 now was $90 when we bought this place. It may have been one of those "priced too low" situations. I listened carefully to the then Prez of BBAV and monitored it closely. I raised it to $130 a month ago, I had it at $125 after making the two twins into a king and it has been a good seller ever since.
So don't be afraid to change anything or tweak it after a year down the road. That is what we all do. I was thinking about some of this how much I have chaned from day 1.
I got interrupted and hit save on that.
Anyway - I was thinking about how much I have learned, much from this forum and other innkeepers on many aspects of innkeeping. Nothing in a book compares, nor a seminar. Just little tidbits of useful things we pick up on. Example: I will never buy 100% cotton sheets, I gave them all to goodwill and started with a cotton/poly mix and have saved myself much aggravation and time.
Update: Two months ago I bought the guest small microwave and so far not one person has used it (That I know of). But I do have a week long stay coming up and I BETCHYA they will appreciate it for leftovers etc.
So keep doin' what you are doin' and good things will come.
wink_smile.gif

My room that is $130 now was $90 when we bought this place. It may have been one of those "priced too low" situations. I listened carefully to the then Prez of BBAV and monitored it closely. I raised it to $130 a month ago, I had it at $125 after making the two twins into a king and it has been a good seller ever since.
So don't be afraid to change anything or tweak it after a year down the road. That is what we all do. I was thinking about some of this how much I have chaned from day 1.
Anyway - I was thinking about how much I have learned, much from this forum and other innkeepers on many aspects of innkeeping. Nothing in a book compares, nor a seminar. Just little tidbits of useful things we pick up on. Example: I will never buy 100% cotton sheets, I gave them all to goodwill and started with a cotton/poly mix and have saved myself much aggravation and time.
Update: Two months ago I bought the guest small microwave and so far not one person has used it (That I know of). But I do have a week long stay coming up and I BETCHYA they will appreciate it for leftovers etc.
wink_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, if nothing else it gives me more to think about. Like maybe my little room with the two twins could be less... but I'm not ready to go down. It's a good rate for a nice room and a fabulous breakfast.
I was reviewing my numbers for August and September. The occupancy rate is about the same for both, but the income is significantly higher for September. It was because of our long term stay... she was on a government rate (we negotiated that we didn't give her breakfast). It was less work, but also a lot less money. I like money, but right now I'm plenty busy...
It's the usual toss up! More money equals more work. Work is good for me, but after a certain point I don't need the money that badly!
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, my longer stays usually do. Give us an update!
JBJ said:
wink_smile.gif
Thanks!!
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

I have had some of the same reaction to my latest suite opened in June. When we go over $100, there is alot of hesitation. I checked my 3 closest rivals down town. Holiday Inn, Cornhusker Marriot and Embassy Suites. The HI offers some for $89, Marriot and ES are more like $139. The B&B that has been open for 20 years and is nice, but run by students is $70 to $139. The B&B only has single rooms and my suite has 2 bedrooms. It is great for 2 couples traveling together as they also get 4 breakfasts. The hotels don't offer that.
I am rethinking what I want to charge for it.
Also have 1 room that I will be opening soon and am thinking how do I set my price on the room in comparison to my 2 suites.
We just have to do what is right for us. In your case, it is also your home. In my case, it is another house to maintain.

How do you know the next ten callers won't think you're under priced? Let it slide, you'll get the guests you're meant to get! Laws of averages, we've all had spurts of calls like that, oh, well, go somewhere else! You have to price for your area and for your work...
Have to share...I have 3 sets of guests, all separate parties, all staying for 7- 8 days, they all get along, one couple thinking of moving here, one here for HS reunion, one here taking care of deceased family's estate... They are all LOVELY PEOPLE! Low maintenance, neat freaks, haven't had to do any of the mid week cleans...What are the odds? Very low I'm sure!!! No special diets, no weirdness...
I'm in a state of shock. Keep waiting for somethin'!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Pardon me, I'm going to go count my blessings now...
And after looking at your rates, I would gladly pay another $25 for any of those beautiful rooms!

I have times when I get the same type of calls. To note: I am the only B&B in the area (closest is 30 miles or so), and our rates are comparable to the nicer hotels in the area.
If given the chance I ask what they were expecting. The usual response is that they thought B&B's were less expensive than hotels. I think they are thinking of the old 'boarding houses'. I just give the names of the 3-4 flea bags around here.
You have nice things and need to have patrons that will respect you and your home. If you are keeping busy, there is no need to rethink your rates.

I have times when I get the same type of calls. To note: I am the only B&B in the area (closest is 30 miles or so), and our rates are comparable to the nicer hotels in the area.
If given the chance I ask what they were expecting. The usual response is that they thought B&B's were less expensive than hotels. I think they are thinking of the old 'boarding houses'. I just give the names of the 3-4 flea bags around here.
You have nice things and need to have patrons that will respect you and your home. If you are keeping busy, there is no need to rethink your rates..
Copperhead said:
You have nice things and need to have patrons that will respect you and your home. If you are keeping busy, there is no need to rethink your rates.
You know automatically if someone said that about being too expensive they have never stayed in a B&B before in their life. A B&B goer would not say that. They would get what they get and book or not book. They wouldn't tell the innkeeper "Why are your rates so high?" I mean the more you think about it the more absurd it is!
I only get that from locals. Guess what, if you stayed in our local flea bag you will be paying nearly the same for a smokey stinky dirty room.

Just got this email:
"Hi - Just got a job in the area and need a reasonable place to stay as my budget is tight. What are your weekly or monthly rates, without meals?"
Doesn't that spell out that they are looking for a 'boarding house'? She should have done her homework before accepting a job in the area.

Just got this email:
"Hi - Just got a job in the area and need a reasonable place to stay as my budget is tight. What are your weekly or monthly rates, without meals?"
Doesn't that spell out that they are looking for a 'boarding house'? She should have done her homework before accepting a job in the area..
Copperhead said:
Just got this email:
Doesn't that spell out that they are looking for a 'boarding house'? She should have done her homework before accepting a job in the area.
Must be the pressure building from all these hurricanes, I just took a weird call as well. Very weird.
Is this a new phenomena like the full moon, or the high tide, we have those whose barometer prompts them to call B&B's?!!!

Just got this email:
Doesn't that spell out that they are looking for a 'boarding house'? She should have done her homework before accepting a job in the area..
Copperhead said:
Just got this email:
We get this a lot around here. It's 'tourist town' as far as some are concerned and summer is over. Rates should be around $25/night and they're doing me a favor by taking empty rooms off my hands. I've also gotten calls wanting FREE rooms for people flying in for job interviews.

You have nice things and need to have patrons that will respect you and your home. If you are keeping busy, there is no need to rethink your rates..
Copperhead said:
You know automatically if someone said that about being too expensive they have never stayed in a B&B before in their life. A B&B goer would not say that. They would get what they get and book or not book. They wouldn't tell the innkeeper "Why are your rates so high?" I mean the more you think about it the more absurd it is!
I only get that from locals. Guess what, if you stayed in our local flea bag you will be paying nearly the same for a smokey stinky dirty room.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You know automatically if someone said that about being too expensive they have never stayed in a B&B before in their life. A B&B goer would not say that.
I agree... I think it's all just poor seminarians looking for a place to stay. Campus housing ($25 per bed per night, share your room with a stranger and your bathroom with two more) must be full.
=)
Kk.

I keep having people say to me "Your rates are very reasonable" how should I take that? too cheap? or just right?

Back