I need some gift ideas?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to come up with ideas for a small gift for each guests to be waiting in their room when they arrive. Can't break the bank but wondering if anyone has any good ideas. We already give free drinks and snacks. We want this to be something they take home with them.
Thanks for your ideas!

I am not happy with the cookbook our Association did this time - it is much too small - so I am giving my guests a copy of it as a parting gift until I run out of them. They cost me $7 each.

We have some nice back scratchers that you can put your bed and breakfast name on. Also another B&B gives out home made sponge candy or peanut brittle. wraps it up, with a nice curled ribbon on it with her business card stapled to it.

I'd go for something that's locally made. Of course, lightweight and not fragile since they're packing it to take with them.

We have some nice back scratchers that you can put your bed and breakfast name on. Also another B&B gives out home made sponge candy or peanut brittle. wraps it up, with a nice curled ribbon on it with her business card stapled to it..
I used to give out those back scratchers at events. They are the mini bamboo ones and used to be available from Or ien tal Tra ding Co. for $4.95 for 2 doz. I made labels to put on them - Looking for a great get-away? on the back and the inside had Gillum House Bed & Breakfast and my 800 number. They were very popular. I heard from people 5 years later that they still had my back scratcher. I do not think it brought any business but it made people aware of us. Step #1.

Why? What is the purpose of the gift? If you want guests to remember your inn name, then something with a logo on it. (Take my word for it, just ask at breakfast sometime the name of the last place your guests stayed and they won't remember it!)
If you just want a little 'something' then, yes, something locally made. Of course, then you'll run into the people who can't have chocolate or gluten or whatever nice little homemade item you came up with.
We have a local soap maker and I give her seasonal soaps to guests.

Those are some good ideas. The purpose is for them to come in the room and go " Wow that was really nice" It does not have to have our info on it. But for the right gift it could. Just something unexpected. I think at Christmas time we might even wrap it or put it in a gift bag. What ever it might be.

I give a Clip magnet with logo, name, and phone number. In the clip, I put a sticky-note pad with name, address, phone number and URL together with a postcard reminding folks that reviews help our business to grow (assuming good reviews) with the URL of Bed&Breakfast.com, and again, all the info about the inn. It all matches, is sturdy for packing and costs about $5 per room. All of it comes from Vista Print (they also host my website) They do a nice job, and once you start buying from them, everything is "on-sale" eventually.

Can you give us a price estimate per room?
A coffee mug with your name on it.
Something local.
Something that pertains to your inn.
Okay this will sound bad, Which BOB are you? I now have three Bobs going on in my head, and I forget which Bob you are, if you are in a place who does small weddings, then I would give something "woodsy" that matches your inn theme.

Those are some good ideas. The purpose is for them to come in the room and go " Wow that was really nice" It does not have to have our info on it. But for the right gift it could. Just something unexpected. I think at Christmas time we might even wrap it or put it in a gift bag. What ever it might be..
We have given logo'd mugs with a nice, handwritten card. Just putting the mugs out doesn't do it, guests don't know if they can take them or what. So, whatever you do, you have to let the guests know it is for them to take.
One of the innkeepers on here does a turn down and you get a little candy sampler. Lights on, music set for romance, and a little sweet. And it is 'really nice'.
You can make this very inexpensive with a few homemade cookies tied up in that Easter basket wrap (CANNOT think what it's called!) Tie the top with a ribbon and add a little note attached to the ribbon with a cute saying.
In some cases, it's the presentation that matters most.

I have laundry bags, hard to explain, but they are printed lightweight bags with handles, for laundry or whatever. Although I have not given many out this year. I have a case I bought last year to hand out. The type you get at trade shows... like these
I use a safety pin and on it says "A gift to you from your innkeepers"
The verbiage on them is "GOING GREEN IN THE BLUE RIDGE" and our B&B name, town, state.

We stayed at an inn where the innkeeper was a potter, It was called the apple something inn. She made little apple christmas tree ornaments shaped like an apple with the inn name on it. I thought that was a wonderful gift to take home. Small but really made an impression. Of course if you have some artistic talent you could come up with something to represent your place. You don't want to spend $$$ to do it though.

id have a look on discount mugs they do all sorts of branded stuff (ie not just mugs) and the postage is very reasonable - won't ship to the uk mind!

My business is quite different from a B&B, so not everyone gets a gift the first time around. However, we have some very loyal guests about 75% returns each year who get very personalized things. I know what they like, I know how they live, I remember and take notes. I always try to find something to give each of them on their last stay of the year. They leave a lot of money with me - the presents reflect it. I am grateful for their business.
One timers need not get anything except exceptional service!
wink_smile.gif

As a guest, I wouldn't want another something that I end up chucking not long after I get back. And I don't think you want to spend money on something that people throw away. I have a gazillion mugs, thermal travel mugs, and water bottles. And, I don't want to worry about something really delicate & fragile.
Is there something unique to your inn or area? Wine country B&Bs could have simple corkscrews. Beer making in your area? I bought a cool metal tortoise bottle opener/black & tan device for my son when I went to a sea turtle conservation area gift shop. JB could fill small mason jars with something seasonal and slap a label on it with her B&B info. Maddie could use these small shell dishes I found at World Market for a buck. Get the idea? Make it memorable!

My business is quite different from a B&B, so not everyone gets a gift the first time around. However, we have some very loyal guests about 75% returns each year who get very personalized things. I know what they like, I know how they live, I remember and take notes. I always try to find something to give each of them on their last stay of the year. They leave a lot of money with me - the presents reflect it. I am grateful for their business.
wink_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
wink_smile.gif
Agreed.
And do all these one nighters get a gift? They arrive at 10 pm or midnight, or possibly no show for breakfast? Should it be the return guests, or the longer stays?
Are you using it as a promotional item? ie logo'd or just as a small thank you given at check out?

Back