I never learn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Put out the sign showing check in times earlier today. Had some long time guests show up & ring the bell, luckily I saw them out the window so went and opened the door. We had a good chat. They left. Went back to cleaning. Doorbell rings again so I quick looked out the window and saw Canadian plates on the car and went back to the door.
BIG mistake. Not our friends. Grumpy people who want to check in NOW. And are very upset when told they can't as the rooms aren't cleaned. He went off in a huff saying he'd never heard of such a thing not being able to check in early. (Yes, he knew he was early.)
OK, this is NOT our target demo. We do not target this age group/economic group at all. We just happened to have a room open when they looked last night.
Kind of goes along with everything JB posts all the time about finding your market and going after them. We don't market to this demo. We don't want this demo. But we get them when we're the only place with a room.
And it's an epic fail every time. They wanted a hotel. They all want a hotel.
If there is more grief when they come back I will refund them and send them away. There's another B&B down the line that caters to this market. They will be much happier there.

It almost worth telling the people to go somewhere else. I had a couple show up at 9 am the other day to check in. They said they looked online the night before and noticed their room was empty that they ha reserved. They thought they could check in early. I was shocked! I didn't know what to say. I quickly tried to think of something. I told them because it was the only room empty last night that we decided early this morning to do a deep clean in that room. I also told them it was going to take most of the day and we would see them at 4 for checkin. I ended up having our cleaner do a deep clean anyway. We ended up finishing at 2. I could of called them and let them check in early but after they started with the attitude earlier that thought quickly left!
Keep us posted how it turns out!

It almost worth telling the people to go somewhere else. I had a couple show up at 9 am the other day to check in. They said they looked online the night before and noticed their room was empty that they ha reserved. They thought they could check in early. I was shocked! I didn't know what to say. I quickly tried to think of something. I told them because it was the only room empty last night that we decided early this morning to do a deep clean in that room. I also told them it was going to take most of the day and we would see them at 4 for checkin. I ended up having our cleaner do a deep clean anyway. We ended up finishing at 2. I could of called them and let them check in early but after they started with the attitude earlier that thought quickly left!
Keep us posted how it turns out!.
I've heard that one a lot. 'We checked and no one was in that room last night. Why can't we check in?'
Another option is to say the room was never cleaned from the day before because no one was going to be in it! Or that you got a really late walk in. Or 'because I'm the innkeeper and I said so.'
Oh wait, another one - Sure, you can check in now, that will be an additional $150 as we would consider this occupying the room for 2 days.
That is just the epitome of rude.

You know that sign I put out saying that we're not available and check-ins are not until 3:00? I put that sign OVER the doorbell! They don't even know there's a doorbell there! LOL
devil_smile.gif

Keep us posted how it turns out!.
How do they know the room wasn't booked later that night? It is none of their business anyway. You have work to do on the property. Things to do, shop, answer emails whatever. Check in is at 3 Pm...NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Get out of here :)

DH has been doing his nut recently because we've had day, after day after day of people arriving 1pm - 2pm. I can understand why he gets so wild, and we've said it before in here, it's those couple of hours after cleaning that we can all be off duty for a bit and when were working 7 days a week for months we need that time.
What's so infuriating about it is people are told in their confirmation what time check is and they either don't read it or they deliberately ignore it.
I don't mind doing earlier check-ins if people tell us in advance, it says that in the confirmation to, but they don't tell us, they just turn up. And then they get all funny when you tell them they can't check in for 2 hours.
I usually let them in in the rooms are ready (which is also causing friction with with DH) so I'm going to be stricter from now on. No really, I am!!!!!

Maddie, what age group/economic group is this? I'm curious to see if it's the same for us.

Maddie, what age group/economic group is this? I'm curious to see if it's the same for us..
Country Girl said:
Maddie, what age group/economic group is this? I'm curious to see if it's the same for us.
'Kids' with money from big cities.
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
I hear you!

I'm pretty strict about my 3PM, but we do take in luggage. I may even do the whole check-in process with their luggage stored here. I absolutely will NOT let them have the room early, there's a charge for that and I have to run around like a headless chicken to ensure it's done on time. (And some people pay, so giving it for free isn't fair to those who pay for it.)
MoH has stupidly sometimes let them put their luggage in the room. While seething, I tell them that they must put it in the closet, off the floor, since the floors haven't been done. Even if the bed is made, the towels are there, etc. They can't tell if the floor has been done, or not and they comply and leave. I sometimes tell them that the longer they are in the room, the longer the delay before the room is ready, so if they go into the room for 15 minutes, the room may be 30 to 45 minutes late.

Madeleine said:
OK, this is NOT our target demo. We do not target this age group/economic group at all. We just happened to have a room open when they looked last night.
Kind of goes along with everything JB posts all the time about finding your market and going after them. We don't market to this demo. We don't want this demo. But we get them when we're the only place with a room.
If there is more grief when they come back I will refund them and send them away. There's another B&B down the line that caters to this market. They will be much happier there.
I personally have experience so many times, in the distant past, exactly that. How dreadful this feels, you know from the start that they won't fit in, are not what you want, they should know better then to book with you, etc.
We simply turn these people away with excuses; tell them that we would be disappointing to them, that they would not enjoy themselves here, bla, bla, bla. I'd much rather have an open room.
I know that that is a difficult decision to make, but what are you gonna do? you let them in, they upset you and possibly your other guests for what?

Madeleine said:
I personally have experience so many times, in the distant past, exactly that. How dreadful this feels, you know from the start that they won't fit in, are not what you want, they should know better then to book with you, etc.
We simply turn these people away with excuses; tell them that we would be disappointing to them, that they would not enjoy themselves here, bla, bla, bla. I'd much rather have an open room.
I know that that is a difficult decision to make, but what are you gonna do? you let them in, they upset you and possibly your other guests for what?.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I know that that is a difficult decision to make, but what are you gonna do? you let them in, they upset you and possibly your other guests for what?
Most of the time they book us because nothing they like is available. I can't, in good conscience, turn them out to find something else if all they've done is show up young and rich. ;-)

Maddie, what age group/economic group is this? I'm curious to see if it's the same for us..
Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
In my short time, I have found that they are the least friendly, least interested, most standoffish. And yet, pretty quiet.
Morning, all.

Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
In my short time, I have found that they are the least friendly, least interested, most standoffish. And yet, pretty quiet.
Morning, all.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morning, all.
Morning! I think they're quiet because they have their nose buried in their smartphone or tablet, or they're thinking about their smartphone or tablet!

Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morning, all.
Morning! I think they're quiet because they have their nose buried in their smartphone or tablet, or they're thinking about their smartphone or tablet!
Arkansawyer said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morning, all.
We ahd the weirdest group. Parents and 16 year old goth boy. They rented a two room suite and another room. The extra room was for Mom cuz Dad snores and she needs her own room. TMI. The kid was so funny. Angry, eyes down, short grunts instead of words. We were laughing. The wife was friendly, the husband was loud and snide making fun of us for being rich. (If we were rich, would we be laundering his sheets?????) He's the one able to rent three rooms! LOL

Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
It's odd. When we have a house full of geezers they are all talking to each other, trading places to go, great restaurants, all of that. The one time we had 5 rooms of 20-somethings they didn't even talk to the one they came with much less talk to the other tables! They're so shy with each other.

Quiet is better than obnoxious, give me quiet instead.
Most kids are raised by a pack of wolves, they don't know how to act with adults. It is what it is. I can pick out a homeschooled well rounded kid any day of the week, polite, well spoken, interesting.
The homeschooled kid who house-sat for us on an anniversary trip, has since gone to Harvard and then decided to become a fighter pilot and went to flight school after officer training at Annapolis. Meanwhile, when he house sat our dog wouldn't let him in the house and he had to throw her toy for an hour every time he left and came back. :)

Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
It's odd. When we have a house full of geezers they are all talking to each other, trading places to go, great restaurants, all of that. The one time we had 5 rooms of 20-somethings they didn't even talk to the one they came with much less talk to the other tables! They're so shy with each other.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Morning, all.
My Dad was over last night. He is not shy. With anyone. We had two rooms here sunday night, and he was top of his voice saying derogatory comments about people...I traded the subject by talking about the Manhattan Project and secret city since he goes through there twice a year heading cross country.
I think he feels HIS AGE has made it allowable to say anything that comes into this head. He thinks he earned it. (Ye old Geezers)

Back