I suppose I should introduce myself...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four at four forty four

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I have just recently found this forum and very happy that I did. I suppose I should have said 'hello' before asking millions of questions.
I recently (May 2008) purchased a bed and breakfast in the Northeast area of the country. I'm in a small town with few tourist attractions. Most people are here for business or visiting family and friends for reunions, weddings, etc. The Fall is the busiest time followed by summer. My bed and breakfast has been established for 16 years.
I have a degree in hospitality managment from Penn State. I worked in Philadelphia for 3 years. I've been working in hotels or restaurant since high school. I ended up burned out and hating my job in Philly so I decided to purchase this b&b, by myself. I'm 26 years old. I grew up in this town and I'm surrounded with family and lots of support.
I opened a gift shop on the property last October for the town and my guests. It's done very, very well. Thank goodness. I lost a room to open it.
Thank you for all your advice and help so far! I look foward to many more interactions!
All the best,
Four at Four Forty Four

welcome.gif
From Ohio!! Glad to have you around. Keep reading and don't give up asking questions...the answers here are more than valuable, their priceless!

welcome.gif
from beautiful Northern Michigan....I bet you're our youngest Innkeeper!

Thanks for the introduction and welcome. It helps to have some background like this to keep in mind location and inn size during the various discussions that pop up here.

welcome.gif

We have on ocassion here another young male innkeeper who bought an established Inn on his own in NY State. Would be great if he could chime in on how he is finding it.

I'm happy for another young innkeeper!! (I'm 27) Even if I am still an aspiring and your a full-fledged innkeeper. If my DH and I didn't like to spend money so much we probably could have afforded the down payment on our own inn by now, but that's life.
smileystooges.gif
We are working even harder to pay off our debt and stick to a budget because I can not wait to be an innkeeper.
When I started looking into being an innkeeper 5-6 years ago, people really looked at me oddly. As it stands I still get carded for lotto tickets since I look really young.
embaressed_smile.gif
At least most days.

I'm happy for another young innkeeper!! (I'm 27) Even if I am still an aspiring and your a full-fledged innkeeper. If my DH and I didn't like to spend money so much we probably could have afforded the down payment on our own inn by now, but that's life.
smileystooges.gif
We are working even harder to pay off our debt and stick to a budget because I can not wait to be an innkeeper.
When I started looking into being an innkeeper 5-6 years ago, people really looked at me oddly. As it stands I still get carded for lotto tickets since I look really young.
embaressed_smile.gif
At least most days..
cherry64, let me tell you if I can buy a bed and breakfast, so can you! I started with very little to no money. There are days I want to sit in a dark corner... but I think I'm going to make it... and so happy I took the leap, not enough people do..

smileystooges.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
At least most days..
cherry64, let me tell you if I can buy a bed and breakfast, so can you! I started with very little to no money. There are days I want to sit in a dark corner... but I think I'm going to make it... and so happy I took the leap, not enough people do..
four at four forty four said:
Thanks for the confidance! I definatly have my feelers out for possible opportunities. In fact, I have an interview in 3 weeks for a possible innkeeping position in an area of my state that I love to be at!! I am super excited and completely nervous about the whole thing. If we get it, we will be able to save alot of money with the salary I make from the inn and the money my DH will make working his 40 hr a week job. Maybe the owners will consider selling us the inn at some point too. Alot to consider, but I am ready to jump in with two feet and never look back.

smileystooges.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
At least most days..
four at four forty four said:
Thanks for the confidance! I definatly have my feelers out for possible opportunities. In fact, I have an interview in 3 weeks for a possible innkeeping position in an area of my state that I love to be at!! I am super excited and completely nervous about the whole thing. If we get it, we will be able to save alot of money with the salary I make from the inn and the money my DH will make working his 40 hr a week job. Maybe the owners will consider selling us the inn at some point too. Alot to consider, but I am ready to jump in with two feet and never look back.
Cherry
I know you've been wanting to do this for a long time. We had very little money when we started our little Inn....while you do at least have to be able to buy a house, it does not take tons of money to do a startup...the fact that your DH can keep his job/work a 40 hour job will help tremendously.
We were in a state of "analysis paralysis" for years before we decided to go for it. I wish we wouldn't have waited so long! Best of luck with the job.

welcome to the forum.
youth often means high *energy* which is good!

welcome.gif
From Germany, I’m still an Aspiring, looking for a B&B in New England. Perhaps I can finalize everything when I’m in New England this September.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

Young blood is great for this industry! I'm looking forward to hearing how you settle in to your new venture.

I opened a gift shop on the property last October for the town and my guests. It's done very, very well. Thank goodness. I lost a room to open it.
Just out of curiousity, would you say the gift shop covers the loss of revenue from the lost room?

Back