I think I’ve finally learned not to take it personally.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
So this is today’s “Chef’s Choice” posted menu:
Blueberry yogurt parfait with homemade maple pecan granola and a choice of juice followed by Cinnamon Maple French Toast served with homemade applesauce and bacon.

So this is what our guests would like for breakfast (chosen from our offered ‘alternative menu’):
Plain yogurt,white toast with butter and jelly served with bacon, and Fruit Loops.

Not taking it personally. If they want what they eat every day at home, how is that about me, right?

I feel sorry for people who are afraid to try something new. They may be on a certain diet. Be grateful His Royal Highness never was able to visit. We ALWAYS brought his breakfast with us as he was on a no salt, no sugar, no fast diet for his health.. It was oatmeal with broccoli (sometimes cauliflower) with a dash of cinnamon. Every day.

I feel sorry for people who are afraid to try something new. They may be on a certain diet. Be grateful His Royal Highness never was able to visit. We ALWAYS brought his breakfast with us as he was on a no salt, no sugar, no fast diet for his health.. It was oatmeal with broccoli (sometimes cauliflower) with a dash of cinnamon. Every day.
We absolutely respect special diets. We have a gf and a dairy free in our family and I have many vegan friends. But then, maybe they should list those where it says, any dietary restrictions?

We absolutely respect special diets. We have a gf and a dairy free in our family and I have many vegan friends. But then, maybe they should list those where it says, any dietary restrictions?
Ask them when they book, ask them when they check in, and ask them again at breakfast. Maybe one of the three times they'll actually tell you!

None of it is personal. It’s all business. I would not have had any of those things on hand, but it sounds like you have ‘off menu’ items you can offer so it’s all good.

We’ve had a lot of people who just want toast. They’re not morning people and eating a big breakfast just makes them feel tired all day. We had a guy last week who looked into the kitchen before breakfast and said, “I’ll just have an English muffin and some bacon.” Welp, we didn’t have either of those on hand. He seemed to enjoy what he got but who knows.

....... maybe they should list those where it says, any dietary restrictions?

Over time, I've come to think that those with restrictions cease to consider them abnormal, and sometimes don't think to mention some specifics. It's always a bit personal because we provide such a personal service, but it doesn't generally bother me. I still remember the one guest years ago who looked with horror at the sliced fresh, juicy garden tomato on her plate. It never occurred to her that a sliced tomato would be breakfast food, way outside her normal. I took it away and re-plated with the offending allergy trigger removed.

Over time, I've come to think that those with restrictions cease to consider them abnormal, and sometimes don't think to mention some specifics. It's always a bit personal because we provide such a personal service, but it doesn't generally bother me. I still remember the one guest years ago who looked with horror at the sliced fresh, juicy garden tomato on her plate. It never occurred to her that a sliced tomato would be breakfast food, way outside her normal. I took it away and re-plated with the offending allergy trigger removed.
For several years, and totally out of the blue, I could not eat summer squash. As quickly as it came on, it went away. It was something I did not consider a breakfast food so never mentioned it. First time we stayed it was served for breakfast. I just gave it to Gomez, but I did mention it the next time we stayed. It was served again. After the same innkeeper served it three times, I just assumed they didn’t read the restrictions, hated me so much they wanted me to get sick, or it was their passive aggressive way of saying ‘we don’t want you here.’

For this morning, both of them took the chefs choice. They told us they didn’t select chefs choice yesterday because it was French toast and he’s French and didn’t want French food.

...he’s French and didn’t want French food.

HA! I've been to France several times and have never found Cinnamon Maple French Toast served with homemade applesauce and bacon on the menu!

My French grandmother made pain perdu which we called French toast ... just a way to use stale bread. I don’t know if they serve it in France, but in England we had eggy bread. It wasn’t sweet and had pepper in it. I was surprised ... and they were surprised that I thought there would be maple syrup.

Ok, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but, it happened again. A different couple. Menu is, gingerbread with homemade applesauce followed by Egg in a Nest - poppyseed bagel with egg, tomatoes and feta cheese served with sausage.
Couple orders white toast with cinnamon/sugar and ....... Froot Loops!
These people are in their 60’s. Gotta laugh. 😆👩‍🍳🤷‍♀️

For reference our cereal selection is: Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Froot Loops, Homemade maple pecan granola, Oatmeal.

Maybe it’s something about the Froot Loops 🤷‍♀️😂🤷‍♀️?

your “eggs in a nest” sounds awesome. Recipe pls?

Back