I think I've hit the wall early!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We've been open only two years, but I think I'm hitting the wall early!
wow.gif

Because we're small and because of our setup (detached cottages), I normally run guest's credit cards after breakfast and before their departure at the end of their stay.
This morning I asked an overnight guest for his card, ran it, returned to the table with his receipt and mine for him to sign. He looked at it and said "Are you going to charge each day or will you be charging for all three nights" THREE NIGHTS??? WTF?
Sure enough, right there on his Webervations reservation, which I confirmed, was neatly entered that he was staying three nights. Fortunately, Webervations blocked out those days so there wasn't a duplication. However, I could have very stupidly taken a phone reservation thinking those other two nights were open.
Alls well that end well, but DW isn't happy that she's had to do a quick reshuffle of menus for the weekend.
Just shoot me now.
cry_smile.gif

Awww. your first time! Could have been worse, my first time was this last summer, and I ended up walking a guest to another B&B nearby for one night of their stay.
It does make you pay closer attention, tho, don't it??!!
wink_smile.gif

I am SO paranoid of doing something like that. Especially with booking the B&B and the wine tours at the same time.....!
Riki

And the thank goodness for "taking them out of inventory" sigh.
teeth_smile.gif

Hint for others who have not yet encountered this and the sudden volt it gives you: I learned from another innmate - when you take a rez over the phone, do it right then and there in your online prgm and you will see if the room(s) are taken or alerted you a longer booking. This is why I won't take bookings from the grocery store line etc. Everything needs to be REAL TIME.

We had a similar thing when I had asked my mum to mind the shop so to speak while I had a bath got out the bath to find an email on my blackberry from our email network saying two ladies were looking for a twin for that night. We had a twin so rang the number to take the booking. Got dressed went up stairs to find my mum handing over the keys to a lady who was a walk in! can you believe the timing! I rang round in desparation to find them another place and rang them back and explained what had happened and that I had found them somewhere else and they were fine as they were so desparate not to stay where they had booked anywhere I had found would have been fine. Nearly went bonkers though I will tell you as it was a mad busy time as was worried I wouldn't find anywhere!

Happened to me on my second EVER booking. Anyone better ?
All rooms not finished yet. Hopefully, they went out for evening meal & we had 2 busy hours to get as much as possible right. They stayed 3 nights & offered us a bottle of Alsace wine before leaving.
I slightly remember a phone conversation with him. I guess we confirmed at that time.

teeth_smile.gif

Hint for others who have not yet encountered this and the sudden volt it gives you: I learned from another innmate - when you take a rez over the phone, do it right then and there in your online prgm and you will see if the room(s) are taken or alerted you a longer booking. This is why I won't take bookings from the grocery store line etc. Everything needs to be REAL TIME..
Joey Bloggs said:
Hint for others who have not yet encountered this and the sudden volt it gives you: I learned from another innmate - when you take a rez over the phone, do it right then and there in your online prgm and you will see if the room(s) are taken or alerted you a longer booking. This is why I won't take bookings from the grocery store line etc. Everything needs to be REAL TIME.
Absolutely agree with this 100%. Never, ever take a rez without doing it online thru my reservation system. Nothing on paper (except after the fact), nothing on the phone if not able to access the reservation system. It's just too stressful.
But, like PT, we've asked guests for their keys when they've gone out in the morning only to have thme look at us funny. Oops. Staying over another night.

teeth_smile.gif

Hint for others who have not yet encountered this and the sudden volt it gives you: I learned from another innmate - when you take a rez over the phone, do it right then and there in your online prgm and you will see if the room(s) are taken or alerted you a longer booking. This is why I won't take bookings from the grocery store line etc. Everything needs to be REAL TIME..
Most smartphones would let you verify your reservation system, enter info to secure the room, and call someone back to take their rez anywhere. Technology is cool! :)

teeth_smile.gif

Most smartphones would let you verify your reservation system, enter info to secure the room, and call someone back to take their rez anywhere. Technology is cool! :)
Samster said:
In this instance a smart phone would have been the most intelligent participant during the transaction.
Some of the blame falls on the guest though. I sent him a confirmation (done in Quickbooks) for one night. Had they bothered to read it as is suggested in the cover letter, it would have sent up a red flag.

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
In this instance a smart phone would have been the most intelligent participant during the transaction.
Some of the blame falls on the guest though. I sent him a confirmation (done in Quickbooks) for one night. Had they bothered to read it as is suggested in the cover letter, it would have sent up a red flag.
Well, we know that the only people that read confirmation letters are other innkeepers.... :)

Back