I think this is a scam email has anyone gotten one of these?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
I received the email below and the weird thing is it has an attachment. I think it's a scam and wondering if anyone else has gotten one of these. There are two email address, one from yahoo and one from the uk. I don't have a reservation for this person and don't have availability for one of the nights he's trying to book. I just responded to both emails saying reservation wasn't confirmed.
I have booked the following dates with you: 6th - 10th Dec. ( 4 nights).
I have attached with a copy of the reservation's information.
I would like to know if my booking has been accepted
Thank you for your time, and if there are any issues regarding this booking, please
contact me using the above details.
Kind regards,
Mark Thompson

This is why we use Rezkey. We KNOW who has a reservation and who doesn't.

This is why we use Rezkey. We KNOW who has a reservation and who doesn't..
Proud Texan said:
This is why we use Rezkey. We KNOW who has a reservation and who doesn't.
Yeah, when I get an inquiry via phone or e-mail or the website webform or VRBO, I refer them to the ResKey page to make a reservation. But still, if someone's using a stolen card for the reservation, it could be a few days before it's figured out and the charges reversed. They could do some mischief in the mean time.

Got the same one. Did not open the attachment..
Thought so.. Thanks!
When we get a request for a reservation in email, we reply that reservations are never taken in email, only online. If you do hear back from them, it will usually be the second stage of the scam, as if they didn't read your email anyway and then you know for sure.
NEVER open attachments.

I don't think anyone has really read what the email says. The person is attempting to CONFIRM a reservation, not MAKE a reservation.
Yes, it's a scam, but are we the only people who have guests emailing or calling to CONFIRM a reservation?
Yes, don't open the attachment. Who knows what that was all about.
And good thing we can post these things here for everyone to share and wise up about. Hopefully no one here got the email, panicked and tried to open the attachment. And now no one will. Good job team!

I've gotten two of these e-mails this week. Same exacting wording and attachment, but from different 'people'.
Several of our B&B's here in the area have received the scam. And it's being discussed on the PAII forum, too.

I've gotten two of these e-mails this week. Same exacting wording and attachment, but from different 'people'.
Several of our B&B's here in the area have received the scam. And it's being discussed on the PAII forum, too..
Got another one today.

I got the same one with a zip file. I don't open zip files. I really would like to email back are you stupid or what but I know it is a scam so I just let it go.

I got the same one with a zip file. I don't open zip files. I really would like to email back are you stupid or what but I know it is a scam so I just let it go..
NEVER RESPOND!!! No matter how much you want to. It just makes things worse for you.

Thanks for sharing us your experience. Scams are a part of human civilization. As soon as money was invented, someone probably created a way to get it dishonestly. Presently, one of the most susceptible groups is the elderly, who fall victim frequently to fraud artists. It pays to be extra careful in handling our hard earned money to avoid scam.

I've started to get these too. The giveaway is that the attachment is either a zip or exe file type.

Thanks for sharing us your experience. Scams are a part of human civilization. As soon as money was invented, someone probably created a way to get it dishonestly. Presently, one of the most susceptible groups is the elderly, who fall victim frequently to fraud artists. It pays to be extra careful in handling our hard earned money to avoid scam..

Back