I threw a guest out...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
The child had a screaming fit at breakfast and I asked them to go outside. Guest went and packed and left. The sad part is it was my daughter. So I had to finish serving breakfast trying not to cry. She was crying when she left.

Bree, I know you are upset, but your daughter has to realize, you are running a business in your home. You have guests who have paid to be there and who expect that breakfast will be as good as you can make it. For some reason I guess I thought you were closed for the time your family was visiting.
In hindsight, you all probably should have discussed some things BEFORE they came. Some ground rules needed to be set....like..we have to take care of the guests first. After guests have gone, then we can have family breakfast together.
I am sorry this happened, but hopefully after things calm down a bit, both of you can talk and straighten things out.
God BLess!

It always hurts more when it is someone we care about. You and I both know mom should have taken her outside and not disturbed your guests any more. Why did she not do it and make you say something. Then you both are hurt. She is hurting because you put the others above her. You are hurting because you had to say something and didn't like the results. So sorry for your hurt.

Oh, Bree, I am sooo sorry. Guests do whatever and we have to suck it up but we do not sweat it because they are just people but when it is our kids we expect understanding and help - not a punch in the gut. It would hurt sooo much to have my kid pack up and leave. Daddy did that crap but I expected that from him - his way of dealing with things was to leave (yes, it did hurt from him too).
I hope you give it a week or so and all gets back on track. My guess is you will have to be the one to put it in the guest file, swallow hard and come out smiling Mom again. That is how it always was expected to work in our family - I developed a very good pasted smile.

Oh, Bree, I am sooo sorry. Guests do whatever and we have to suck it up but we do not sweat it because they are just people but when it is our kids we expect understanding and help - not a punch in the gut. It would hurt sooo much to have my kid pack up and leave. Daddy did that crap but I expected that from him - his way of dealing with things was to leave (yes, it did hurt from him too).
I hope you give it a week or so and all gets back on track. My guess is you will have to be the one to put it in the guest file, swallow hard and come out smiling Mom again. That is how it always was expected to work in our family - I developed a very good pasted smile..
I hope that is does not take a week, but that daughter or mom will call each other today and talk this out. A week is way too long. Yes it is like a punch in the gut, but they can work this out I am hopeful. Hang in there Bree. Take each moment as it comes
You can't worry about what has happened, because it has already happened and you can't change it. You can't worry about the future as it does no good.
Get through it and focus on the now. It will work out.
regular_smile.gif

I hope you give it a week or so and all gets back on track. My guess is you will have to be the one to put it in the guest file, swallow hard and come out smiling Mom again. That is how it always was expected to work in our family - I developed a very good pasted smile..
I hope that is does not take a week, but that daughter or mom will call each other today and talk this out. A week is way too long. Yes it is like a punch in the gut, but they can work this out I am hopeful. Hang in there Bree. Take each moment as it comes
You can't worry about what has happened, because it has already happened and you can't change it. You can't worry about the future as it does no good.
Get through it and focus on the now. It will work out.
regular_smile.gif

Sorry, but having been there I KNOW a call too soon will just add salt and will not help. Time to think about it (more for the daughter than Bree) and cool off is what heals. No things like this are not discussed in advance because it is something that was never considered as happening. I have been "gut punched" by more kids for more years than I care to think about so I really do know what I am talking about. Experience talking. Dealing with Daddy gave me training for the furture!

Sorry Bree. We're with ya...in spirit.
Prob not a good time to visit when you have had so many B&B issues there lately. I hope it all works out soon when you get a breather. <hugs>

Oohh with the week you've had, that is like the "perfect storm" in a not so perfect way. Sorry it had to happen. My inlaws are here and they've gotten pretty good at hiding / going for a walk / or otherwise disappearing during breakfast.

So sorry to hear that. This business is sooo difficult when it comes to family, especially in the high season.
I just finished telling my sister (who lives nearly 4 hours away) that even though she'll be passing within 45 minutes of me this weekend, that No she can't stop in for a visit. Too much going on with flips and dinners. Had to tell the same thing to good friends of ours who will be driving right past our road on their way to a wedding. Some get it and some don't. It's hard.

Bree, I know you are upset, but your daughter has to realize, you are running a business in your home. You have guests who have paid to be there and who expect that breakfast will be as good as you can make it. For some reason I guess I thought you were closed for the time your family was visiting.
In hindsight, you all probably should have discussed some things BEFORE they came. Some ground rules needed to be set....like..we have to take care of the guests first. After guests have gone, then we can have family breakfast together.
I am sorry this happened, but hopefully after things calm down a bit, both of you can talk and straighten things out.
God BLess!.
catlady said:
God BLess!
Oh, everyone knows the rules. This kid just gets a lot of attention by screaming, so that's what he did. I told HIM he had to go outside immediately. My poor daughter was so embarassed and so disgusted with him she chose to leave then and there rather than have it happen again. I'll call her tonight. She's so upset with herself and with the kids I didn't want her driving. But she's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. SHE needs a break. Living in a hotel for 6 weeks with the kids has gotten on her last nerve. And we WEREN'T busy this week when I called her Monday to invite her to come by. I won't see her in awhile given that she is now an 8 hour drive away.

it is too bad she left. instead of just going outside for a loooong time.
how did the guests react?
maybe this child needs the 'shock' treatment of actually having to leave a place he wanted to be because of the tantrum. but it's a shame it punishes his family as well as him.

Whoa! Sorry to hear that
sad_smile.gif
Hopefully, you can talk to your daughter this evening when things are quiet with your guests and get everything smoothed over. It was almost like something was bound to happen - she's on her last raw nerve from her living situation & you're on your last raw nerve because of your run of guests lately. Not a good combo at all.
Well, what's done is done...you can get through this and all will be well. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}
heart.gif

maybe this child needs the 'shock' treatment of actually having to leave a place he wanted to be because of the tantrum. but it's a shame it punishes his family as well as him..
seashanty said:
maybe this child needs the 'shock' treatment of actually having to leave a place he wanted to be because of the tantrum. but it's a shame it punishes his family as well as him.
The guests really had no reaction to it. They saw it happen, they saw her leave, they didn't comment one way or the other. Altho, one of them did ask her as she was going out if they would see her later. (Not like they wanted to know if there was more of this coming later, but because they had all been chatting last night and having a good time.)

And I asked another couple today to remove their screaming child from the dining room. Figured if I could throw my own grandkid out, I could throw anyone's grandkid out. I put their brekkie on a tray and they ate outside.

And I asked another couple today to remove their screaming child from the dining room. Figured if I could throw my own grandkid out, I could throw anyone's grandkid out. I put their brekkie on a tray and they ate outside..
Hooray for our side!!!

And I asked another couple today to remove their screaming child from the dining room. Figured if I could throw my own grandkid out, I could throw anyone's grandkid out. I put their brekkie on a tray and they ate outside..
Good for you!
=)
Kk.

Back