"I want a room with a view"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I could understand wanting a room with a view if the view were stunning- mountains, ocean, desert, something. A few of my rooms have a nice view of whatever in the garden is blooming at the moment. Not so much in the off season. But, for the amount of time guests here spend in their rooms NOT asleep I just don't get it. Almost everyone is up and out by 10 AM. They don't come back until after dark. What's with 'needing' a room with a view for a one night stay?

Those are the same one who want an entire list of things to do in the area, for one night, then they show up at 8pm and leave at breakfast. Why the list? I guess they were dreaming...

But having said that, when Arks shared the room without a window, I might be inclinded to want the room with the best view as well, whatever that may be, people watching on main street, or overlooking the gardens...that would be me too, I suppose.

I have four rooms with nice views and one... without. Two of the rooms are straight out street views (which, like most city folks, I love), two of them have the same view down, but view over the buildings beyond and to the horizon. But one, just has a view of the four story condo building in the back... and is the most popular room (because of the PB).

Those are the same one who want an entire list of things to do in the area, for one night, then they show up at 8pm and leave at breakfast. Why the list? I guess they were dreaming....
They need to know what they missed. That way when someone else brings up that place, they can act like they know about it.

Those are the same one who want an entire list of things to do in the area, for one night, then they show up at 8pm and leave at breakfast. Why the list? I guess they were dreaming....
They are doing the 'Grand Tour' which includes one night here because there's nothing else to do here but shop and then off to the places with parks (we have 3 state parks and 12 conservation trails) and water (we've got that, too) and lobster (yeah, haven't seen one of those anywhere nearby either).
It's sad. There's so much to do here but it doesn't get the publicity like the shopping does.

They are doing the 'Grand Tour' which includes one night here because there's nothing else to do here but shop and then off to the places with parks (we have 3 state parks and 12 conservation trails) and water (we've got that, too) and lobster (yeah, haven't seen one of those anywhere nearby either).
It's sad. There's so much to do here but it doesn't get the publicity like the shopping does.
Did I ever mention I am an anti-shopper? Gillum House, fyi we had guests here from Chicago for a couple nights this week, and I did my usual "If I went there what would be the one thing you wouldn't want me to miss..." breakfast conversation. I learn alot about other places that are on my list to visit, or add them to my list! I already picked your brain and have compiled a nice folder of things to see and do there.
She asked me about shopping, I said "The last thing I would ever want to do there" so it was easy to eliminate those shopping areas.
So Maddie, I am always sad when I hear this as I follow you on FB and see the incredible natural beauty that is all around you, and THAT is what makes me want to visit. Nothing man-made. So keep on keepin' on, there are those who have you on their list for those other items, that is the photo-op stuff!
cheers.gif

For a view, I would rather hike to a lighthouse, or go sailing.

I have had that question asked as well. Go over each room's view! Why? It is not like we have an ocean, mountain, or _____ view. But they have to know even if it is a one nighter, arriving at dark 30 and up in time for breakfast and then gone!
Maddie, I to understand so well how the best parts of a location are masked by publicity of the very well known. Keep up the good work showing what people are missing while in those box stores, maybe one day they will take the time to enjoy life while there.

Did I ever mention I am an anti-shopper? Gillum House, fyi we had guests here from Chicago for a couple nights this week, and I did my usual "If I went there what would be the one thing you wouldn't want me to miss..." breakfast conversation. I learn alot about other places that are on my list to visit, or add them to my list! I already picked your brain and have compiled a nice folder of things to see and do there.
She asked me about shopping, I said "The last thing I would ever want to do there" so it was easy to eliminate those shopping areas.
So Maddie, I am always sad when I hear this as I follow you on FB and see the incredible natural beauty that is all around you, and THAT is what makes me want to visit. Nothing man-made. So keep on keepin' on, there are those who have you on their list for those other items, that is the photo-op stuff!
cheers.gif

Just had a guest check in. I have a birding guide in the map holder by the front door. (It fits in that particular holder is the reason!) The guest pulls it out, flips thru it and asks, 'Hey, can I see these birds anywhere around here?' I tell her it's a solid hour drive from here. Here's the number, see if they have any openings on the boat tour tonight. She wants to know if there's anywhere to eat near there. Heck yea, it's on a dock with a lobster restaurant.
I show her the room, she goes back out to the car with the brochure and they're gone. No shopping.
So simple. And they didn't even stop to ask me for directions!

Our place has 2 views (1) the back which is quieter but has a stunning view of our car park and back alley.
(2) the front which has the Harrogate International Conference center which is one of the most eye wateringly ugly buildings in the world! the choice as they say is yours!

Our place has 2 views (1) the back which is quieter but has a stunning view of our car park and back alley.
(2) the front which has the Harrogate International Conference center which is one of the most eye wateringly ugly buildings in the world! the choice as they say is yours!.
You are too funny.
a stunning view of our car park and back alley

When I travel, I enjoying having an interesting view from my room, even if I'm not in the room a lot. When I am in the room, I enjoy being able to stand (or preferably sit) with a glass of wine, look out at a view different from home, and enjoy. And I do enjoy (which made that B&B room I stayed at with no window especially bad).
When I was searching online a couple of years ago for the places to stay while in Hawaii, I definitely appreciated, and booked at, the places that had, on each room's web description page, a photo of the view from that room. I think it's a great idea to do that, especially if it's a good view!

"I want a room with a view" is the thread, but[/h1]
How about a room with a pew?
I go to check in room #4 of our 6 one nighters tonight, and DH is in the kitchen cooking BRUSSEL SPROUTS!

I go to check in room #4 of our 6 one nighters tonight, and DH is in the kitchen cooking BRUSSEL SPROUTS! .
Joey Bloggs said:
"I want a room with a view" is the thread, but
Yes, that would have been an appropriate request at that place with the windowless bedroom!
I've never known anyone to get excited over brussel sprouts before.

cheers.gif

Did they tell you the Water Tower and the John Hancock Observatory? Museum of Science & Industry? (probably my #1 place for something to interest everyone - from coal mine to submarine to space station and old time street with nicklodeon - 25 cents last time I was there) The view of the City from the Hancock is awesome. Hot Springs, Ark it is West Mountain and North Mountain! Pea Ridge Battlefield is also interesting. If near Birmingham, Ala go to Tannehill State Park - Civil War Foundry there as well as wonderful artisans. If anywhere near Huntington, WV go to the Heritage Farm Museum (they also have guesthouses). They built this museum to show what Joe Farmer and his family had if they had the latest and greatest in each decade - cannot remember what year they start with around 1830 I think. This Country is full of such wonderful places to see with intersting places and things to do - who needs shopping?

(2) the front which has the Harrogate International Conference center which is one of the most eye wateringly ugly buildings in the world! the choice as they say is yours!.
most eye wateringly ugly buildings
I like that - beats butt ugly any day!

I go to check in room #4 of our 6 one nighters tonight, and DH is in the kitchen cooking BRUSSEL SPROUTS! .
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, that would have been an appropriate request at that place with the windowless bedroom!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
DH loves them! UGH! I usually burn them because I do not like them. Kids were required to eat 2 (by DH, not me). Sheryl would have cheeks pouched out like a squirrel asking if she could go now. The kids were VERY disappointed to discover one of the very few things our dog would NOT eat was brussel sprouts.

Joey Bloggs said:
Ark, I thought you would say, "cook 'em with bacon" - that remediates almost anything, but truthfully, make it pancetta or really good american bacon and brussel sprouts are good, stir fried and only steamed a little to tenderness, not olive drabness. We have served them in cooking school to very skeptical customers and had better conversion rate than a camp meeting.

Back