I was just given a 15 lb ham and need advice - not an Innkeeping topic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
A friend of mine came by with a 15 lb ham shank that needs to be used. They are leaving town on a family matter and were going to have a party and use the ham for the entree. The party has been cancelled and the ham can not be refrozen. I have not cooked a ham before. Anyone have a really good recipe for baked ham ?

cry_smile.gif
help.gif
chef.gif
lightbulb.gif
heart.gif

I baste mine with ginger ale for a super tender and tasty ham..
Thanks. No ginger ale, but would beer work?
That I have never tried so don't know. The ginger ale gives a good flavor to the ham in addition to keeping it really moist.
You can always do the traditional honey/sugar baste or mustard/brown sugar baste during the last hour. Those don't bring out the moisture the way ginger ale does but they do seal it in very nicely.

I wouldn't use beer on ham...here's a link with lots of info and recipes. Once you cook it you can freeze some of the leftovers no problem.

I put mine in the crock pot. Pour 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup ove r the ham. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water. Cover and set on low overnight. Wonderful flavor and easy as heck to do.

I would eat some and cut the rest into cubes and freeze in small ziplock bags to be used for omelets and ham/egg casseroles.

I would eat some and cut the rest into cubes and freeze in small ziplock bags to be used for omelets and ham/egg casseroles..
For New Years I buy a whole ham when they are are sale. I have it sliced at the grocery by the meat dept. Then I take out for New Years and vac seal & freeze the rest in a couple pakgs - one for Easter, and the rest for whenever. BIG cost saver.

Ham, especially the shoulder, is SO flavorful I can't see adding anything so heavy or sweet to it...just season the outside, slow bake it, slice and freeze what you don't use.

This is how it panned out. Me being a 'ham virgin' I called the Cooks ham company for advice. Turns out this 15 lb ham was about 2 years old from the code on the package. They told me it wouldn't make someone sick or anything like that but it would be dry and salty due to its age and loss of quality because of probably freezer burn.
I cooked it anyway. It was salty and I didn't put anything on it. I guess I can cut it up and use it for soup or something.

This is how it panned out. Me being a 'ham virgin' I called the Cooks ham company for advice. Turns out this 15 lb ham was about 2 years old from the code on the package. They told me it wouldn't make someone sick or anything like that but it would be dry and salty due to its age and loss of quality because of probably freezer burn.
I cooked it anyway. It was salty and I didn't put anything on it. I guess I can cut it up and use it for soup or something..
Boil (slow boil) it with a cut up potato and it will lose some of the saltiness. The potato will absorb it.

Back