I will see your roadwork and raise you!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikers!! What's the update??.
Oh, sorry. Forgot to get back to this. My local plumber was in Cincinatti, I saw one of his trucks at the Fire Dept and got him over here only to discover he himself was NOT a plumber, that is how I found out the owner was out of town and bit of the other guys that worked for him were also. I found out he last the name of a man who used to work there - I could only remember his first name - and he ALSO was voice mail. (Edited to add that my local guy called me in the afternoon when he got home to see what the problem was - I had left a message at his house - and he was concerned that his emergency system did not call him when I accessed the emergency line and left 2 separate messages. He was thanking me for alerting him to a problem on his end.)
I got out the phone book and started making calls. As I was working my way down the list the best of them called back. Two guys arrived at 11.
One of them told DH the drain had been attached with a "friction" method and had a gasket that was supposed to help maintain the hold. It apparently was mangled (thank you high-priced deconstructors - more evidence of shoddy work at a platinum price) and let loose. It is now GLUED and should not come loose again. They were done & gone by Noon. I shudder to think what that bill is going to be.
I found one of the old ceiling tiles in the Fibber MaGee Room upstairs - in rearranging the crap in it to get to the tile I got to a cabinet DH built and checked to see what I had stashed in it. WOW, found some slothes I had taken from the closet because they did not fit. Am wearing one pair of slacks now - need to try on the others so some good may have come of it all after all! So in the next few weeks, I need to go get 3 more ceiling tile to replace the damaged ones and put the old spare back for next time.
All my guests were bricks about the whole thing. The stayovers got a story to tell everyone. 2 of them had stayed at other B & Bs and told me this one was great - even with the gushing shower.
Sounds like some good came of it and the guests were troopers! Good luck with the repairs!

Yikers!! What's the update??.
Oh, sorry. Forgot to get back to this. My local plumber was in Cincinatti, I saw one of his trucks at the Fire Dept and got him over here only to discover he himself was NOT a plumber, that is how I found out the owner was out of town and bit of the other guys that worked for him were also. I found out he last the name of a man who used to work there - I could only remember his first name - and he ALSO was voice mail. (Edited to add that my local guy called me in the afternoon when he got home to see what the problem was - I had left a message at his house - and he was concerned that his emergency system did not call him when I accessed the emergency line and left 2 separate messages. He was thanking me for alerting him to a problem on his end.)
I got out the phone book and started making calls. As I was working my way down the list the best of them called back. Two guys arrived at 11.
One of them told DH the drain had been attached with a "friction" method and had a gasket that was supposed to help maintain the hold. It apparently was mangled (thank you high-priced deconstructors - more evidence of shoddy work at a platinum price) and let loose. It is now GLUED and should not come loose again. They were done & gone by Noon. I shudder to think what that bill is going to be.
I found one of the old ceiling tiles in the Fibber MaGee Room upstairs - in rearranging the crap in it to get to the tile I got to a cabinet DH built and checked to see what I had stashed in it. WOW, found some slothes I had taken from the closet because they did not fit. Am wearing one pair of slacks now - need to try on the others so some good may have come of it all after all! So in the next few weeks, I need to go get 3 more ceiling tile to replace the damaged ones and put the old spare back for next time.
All my guests were bricks about the whole thing. The stayovers got a story to tell everyone. 2 of them had stayed at other B & Bs and told me this one was great - even with the gushing shower.
Sounds like some good came of it and the guests were troopers! Good luck with the repairs!
Thanks. It is just a matter of buying 3 squares and then painting them to match the others. It is a dropped ceiling so the hardest part is hauling my fat body and creaky knees up the ladder and getting back down.

Gosh, just now getting to this... when it rains it pours, huh?
Glad it's all worked out now, and glad it happened to you instead of me! :wink: :raz:
=)
Kk.

I
541922.gif
to you....
I'm not worthy....I'm not worthy.
The Farmers Daughter said:
I
541922.gif
to you....
I'm not worthy....I'm not worthy
Hey, where'd you find that smiley??? I want one!!! I feel like that all the time on the forum!

I
541922.gif
to you....
I
541922.gif
to you....
Hey, where'd you find that smiley??? I want one!!! I feel like that all the time on the forum!
penelope said:
I
541922.gif
to you....
You should be able to copy and paste him from this thread....
=)
Kk.

Glad it's all worked out now, and glad it happened to you instead of me! :wink: :raz:
=)
Kk..
See how nice I am? I take the disaster for you even! I am also glad it did not happen to you. I am also glad I had such nice guests every time I have had a didaster - and this one was resolved so easily once I actually found a plumber. You WILL hear me crying when I get the bill......But I will pay it with gratitude.

=)
Kk..
See how nice I am? I take the disaster for you even! I am also glad it did not happen to you. I am also glad I had such nice guests every time I have had a didaster - and this one was resolved so easily once I actually found a plumber. You WILL hear me crying when I get the bill......But I will pay it with gratitude.
gh
The reason you have such nice guests every time you have a disaster has more to do with you than with the guests. Nice Innkeepers get nice guests...that's what a guest told me a couple of weeks ago when they were complaining about the Innkeeper at another place in town where they stayed last year who was crabby and uptight (and yup) complaining about crabby and uptight guests.

=)
Kk..
gh
The reason you have such nice guests every time you have a disaster has more to do with you than with the guests. Nice Innkeepers get nice guests...that's what a guest told me a couple of weeks ago when they were complaining about the Innkeeper at another place in town where they stayed last year who was crabby and uptight (and yup) complaining about crabby and uptight guests.
Little Blue said:
gh
There is something to it, it is not an enigma. I am a firm believer that if you have your hand in your website you will find guests that fit your bill so to speak. Besides the obvious type of BnB you operate. Different walks of life, sure, but overall you will attract what you most enjoy - people who enjoy what you have on offer. Case in point - if you advertise a (stale boring) continental breakfast, expect guests who skip breakfast, who leave without saying goodbye, basically those not interested in the whole BnB environment. It all makes total sense to me.
A website void of personal information - again, no one wants a full page 20 paragraph diatribe about how you saved the pigmies in Africa...just a nice welcome page - and you will have guests who appreciate that.
I had rooms who thoroughly enjoyed their stay here last night, could not leave, loved it. then I had the rotten selfish unfriendly guests from o/s who jumped up from the table and never said "That was a lovely meal" they only told me to get their bill they are leaving now. They only booked us for a place to sleep and then dragged their flippin' luggage and tore up the place. Good riddens. We get all kinds, but thankfully for the most part we have terrific guests!

=)
Kk..
gh
Little Blue said:
gh
There is something to it, it is not an enigma. I am a firm believer that if you have your hand in your website you will find guests that fit your bill so to speak. Besides the obvious type of BnB you operate. Different walks of life, sure, but overall you will attract what you most enjoy - people who enjoy what you have on offer. Case in point - if you advertise a (stale boring) continental breakfast, expect guests who skip breakfast, who leave without saying goodbye, basically those not interested in the whole BnB environment. It all makes total sense to me.
A website void of personal information - again, no one wants a full page 20 paragraph diatribe about how you saved the pigmies in Africa...just a nice welcome page - and you will have guests who appreciate that.
I had rooms who thoroughly enjoyed their stay here last night, could not leave, loved it. then I had the rotten selfish unfriendly guests from o/s who jumped up from the table and never said "That was a lovely meal" they only told me to get their bill they are leaving now. They only booked us for a place to sleep and then dragged their flippin' luggage and tore up the place. Good riddens. We get all kinds, but thankfully for the most part we have terrific guests!
Galatians VI
"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap".

I
541922.gif
to you....
I
541922.gif
to you....
Feel free to cut and paste it. I don't know its origins. It came to me in correspondence a while ago, and I liked it too so I kept the original email and just cut and paste it when I want to use it. I don't know who keeps up with the forums emoticons, but they are welcome to add it to the collection.

=)
Kk..
gh
Little Blue said:
gh
I think there's a lot of truth in this. I was talking with guests about why they chose to stay here. One said because of my pics on the website. One because it was close to campus. One guy said it was because of how I was on the phone... once he talked to me he stopped searching and decided we were the place. This while I was "out standing in my field" at our community garden plot trying to beat back the weeds.... I had my phones forwarded and didn't know which rooms were available offhand, but I was happy to describe them as well as give him dinner ideas. I asked if he'd be willing to book it online, which he did.
But when he came he must have said at least four times how personable I was over the phone. And here I was thinking how easy he was to talk to and what a pleasant guest he was to have come and stay here! If it's a cycle, then I'm all for it!
=)
Kk.

Oprah Winfrey said ine day on her show: "What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own".
From me: it can either be good or bad, happy or unhappy, judgemental or compassionate, tearing down or building up.

Back