Ice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We don't have an ice machine that guests use. We have the ice 'bucket' that an 'in-freezer' ice machine uses and have that in the freezer of the guest fridge. We clean and refill as necessary. (Which has been a lot lately.)
Yesterday a guest wanted ice water during brekkie so she grabbed a glass off the shelf, opened the freezer, took out the bucket and thrust her hands into it. I was standing right there so I said, 'DON'T put your hands in there!' Oh dear. Well, she SHOULDN'T put her hands in there, but I guess I didn't have to yell, I could just have dumped the whole mess out. I said, 'Sorry, that's the mom in me coming out.'

That is probably the exact same thing I would have done. We have a scoop in the freezer for ours. You are OK :)

This has completely changed my innkeeping life. It is truly the most convenient thing in the world. Thanks to muirford for pointing out to me that it would work here.

How much ice does it make at one time? I like the idea of not having to have it attached to a waterline. That way it could be put anywhere.

How much ice does it make at one time? I like the idea of not having to have it attached to a waterline. That way it could be put anywhere..
This is one of the smaller units. You fill it with 2 quarts of water and it will make about 6 cups of ice. It makes the first batch within 10 minutes. It's nice because you can choose the cube size (small, medium, large) and you just have to be sure it's kept filled with water. We have 9 rooms and even with this roasting hot summer we've never not had ice when someone wanted it. We check it once a day to be sure the water is full and that's it. People love it, they like being able to help themselves and I like them being able to help themselves.

This has completely changed my innkeeping life. It is truly the most convenient thing in the world. Thanks to muirford for pointing out to me that it would work here..
I bought a different machine but YES - it is the single most wonderful thing I've purchased for the inn recently.
Guests LOVE it. The manufacturer owes me big time for how many referrals they've got. No need for a dedicated water line. SUPER easy to clean.
........ and constant supply JUST IN CASE DH and I want a drink of our own.

This has completely changed my innkeeping life. It is truly the most convenient thing in the world. Thanks to muirford for pointing out to me that it would work here..
I bought a different machine but YES - it is the single most wonderful thing I've purchased for the inn recently.
Guests LOVE it. The manufacturer owes me big time for how many referrals they've got. No need for a dedicated water line. SUPER easy to clean.
........ and constant supply JUST IN CASE DH and I want a drink of our own.
cheers.gif

I love my ice machine which I've had for several years. It's a Mr. Freeze and looks very similar to the unit on the link.
One drawback for us is that technically, an ice machine (according to our Health Dept regs.) has to have a push button dispenser and not a scoop like the one we have. Contamination issues. Fortunately, our inspector has never noticed the machine during our inspections! Either that or she's just overlooking it because she's actually very resonable.
If you don't have one of these machines, get one, it will make your life easier! We also have small ice buckets in the guest rooms and I put a small plastic trash bag in it, again, for sanitary reasons.

I love my ice machine which I've had for several years. It's a Mr. Freeze and looks very similar to the unit on the link.
One drawback for us is that technically, an ice machine (according to our Health Dept regs.) has to have a push button dispenser and not a scoop like the one we have. Contamination issues. Fortunately, our inspector has never noticed the machine during our inspections! Either that or she's just overlooking it because she's actually very resonable.
If you don't have one of these machines, get one, it will make your life easier! We also have small ice buckets in the guest rooms and I put a small plastic trash bag in it, again, for sanitary reasons..
We are out of counter space. (And this is after building an entire 5' peninsula in the kitchen!) That's the reason we got the guest fridge with freezer. We fill the ice bin and let it go. It's not a lot different than having to fill the water reservoir. If it's empty at midnight, it's empty, no matter which way we do it.
It's the same issue with contamination. Without the dispenser, you just don't know how guests are retrieving the ice. We have a scoop that we put in the shelf on the door. It's OBVIOUS.
When I cringed at her hands going into the ice, she immediately grabbed the scoop. She knew it was there.

Back