Ideas for leftover cake?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I made that crazy cake & I have half of it left, unfrosted. Any ideas for what to do with it? Some sort of 'crumbled' cake and something?

Cake freezes and thaws VERY well. Just pop it into the freezer, frosted or unfrosted. Pull it out when you want or need it, and it thaws quickly, losing no texture or flavor.

YOU have leftover CAKE.... how is that???? Would not be an issue here! lol
Now for the answer - this is from a retired Home E. teacher. And it works!
Cover the cake in butter, as if you were icing it only lightly and cover every inch of the cake. Then wrap it up well and freeze. It will be as fresh and as moist (more moist) as the day it was baked.

I have frozen cupcakes before and they don't thaw well. Maybe the butter would work. So, I think I'm going for the trifle. I found a couple of recipes for trifle and I know there will be leftover fruit tomorrow.

Cover the cake in butter, as if you were icing it only lightly and cover every inch of the cake. Then wrap it up well and freeze. It will be as fresh and as moist (more moist) as the day it was baked..
Sorry as another retired home ec teacher...I have never ever heard of that.butter thing.... Did you make the Choc. Crazy cake? I freeze mine all the time and it is just as moist when it is thawed. IN fact I like it better frozen.

I have frozen cupcakes before and they don't thaw well. Maybe the butter would work. So, I think I'm going for the trifle. I found a couple of recipes for trifle and I know there will be leftover fruit tomorrow..
funny - I had the same thought - leftover cake? What's that?
I've never made them, but I've read raves about "cake balls," a sort of truffle made from cake crumbs. Here are two recipes:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cake-balls/Detail.aspx
http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Easy-Cake-Truffles/12509/

Cover the cake in butter, as if you were icing it only lightly and cover every inch of the cake. Then wrap it up well and freeze. It will be as fresh and as moist (more moist) as the day it was baked..
Sorry as another retired home ec teacher...I have never ever heard of that.butter thing.... Did you make the Choc. Crazy cake? I freeze mine all the time and it is just as moist when it is thawed. IN fact I like it better frozen.
Yes, I used your recipe. I'm going to try the trifle, but next time I make this cake, I'll cut it in half and freeze it. (I made it in a 9x13 pyrex instead of cake rounds.)
Gomez can't understand why any of it is left, either. He ate most of what's been eaten. The guests avoided it like the plague.

I freeze all my leftover pastries and use them for bread pudding. It has a nice variety of flavors, from poppyseed muffins to lemon bread to chocolate angel food cake. Warm vanilla sauce over the top...YUM-O!

Well guess you will have to try it sometime. This lady makes the best cakes and when I asked her she told me that she had even frozen the one I was commenting about. Then told me the secret. Not sure where her secret came from but I give it 2 thumbs up.

I have frozen cupcakes before and they don't thaw well. Maybe the butter would work. So, I think I'm going for the trifle. I found a couple of recipes for trifle and I know there will be leftover fruit tomorrow..
funny - I had the same thought - leftover cake? What's that?
I've never made them, but I've read raves about "cake balls," a sort of truffle made from cake crumbs. Here are two recipes:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cake-balls/Detail.aspx
http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Easy-Cake-Truffles/12509/
Oh, YES! Cakeballs! Double YUM-O!!!

please try the 'funnest dessert' i think i called it in the recipe section.
if you decide not to freeze your cake, break it into chunks. layer it in a trifle bowl (or other bowl) with chocolate pudding and whipped cream. when served, it looks totally decadent and extravagant. but it's just leftover cake!

if you decide not to freeze your cake, break it into chunks. layer it in a trifle bowl (or other bowl) with chocolate pudding and whipped cream. when served, it looks totally decadent and extravagant. but it's just leftover cake!.
Yup, that's what I'm making. But no whipped cream as it will 'melt' before anyone gets to try the thing.

if you decide not to freeze your cake, break it into chunks. layer it in a trifle bowl (or other bowl) with chocolate pudding and whipped cream. when served, it looks totally decadent and extravagant. but it's just leftover cake!.
Yup, that's what I'm making. But no whipped cream as it will 'melt' before anyone gets to try the thing.
Wowzer, was that easy! Chunked up the cake, poured vanilla pudding over it, more cake, more pudding, raspberries on top. Forgot to take a pic before I dug in!

I freeze all my leftover pastries and use them for bread pudding. It has a nice variety of flavors, from poppyseed muffins to lemon bread to chocolate angel food cake. Warm vanilla sauce over the top...YUM-O!.
Banana said:
I freeze all my leftover pastries and use them for bread pudding. It has a nice variety of flavors, from poppyseed muffins to lemon bread to chocolate angel food cake. Warm vanilla sauce over the top...YUM-O!
That's what DW does with leftover muffins, banana bread etc. It's really good and you never know what you're going to get.

Back