Ideas with respect to manager's position

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the pay is $20k but it includes an onsite apt and utilities? Meals? Health insurance? What kind of staff does the manager oversee? I know there are a couple of innkeepers on here who are 'hired' and not owners so maybe they will pipe up with how that arrangement sounds. But anyone would want to know what the job entails.
Are you a 'hands-on' or 'hands-off' owner?

Question:
Are you here asking advice on the innkeeper position or actually looking for a new innkeeper here?
My suggestion would be to post a list of duties and all it entails, and then the rest of the info spelled out like pay, benefits, perks etc.
Nice place, looks like you would have some fun guests there too. :)

So, the pay is $20k but it includes an onsite apt and utilities? Meals? Health insurance? What kind of staff does the manager oversee? I know there are a couple of innkeepers on here who are 'hired' and not owners so maybe they will pipe up with how that arrangement sounds. But anyone would want to know what the job entails.
Are you a 'hands-on' or 'hands-off' owner?.
I'd have to say I'm somewhat hands on. I live a couple of miles away. Also, I'm a hotel industry consultant (not B&Bs, much larger hotels) which makes it difficult for me to be totally removed. Having said that, I often go weeks without visiting the property. My wife drops by at least once a week. I'd like nothing better than to be hands off.
The past couple of managers (one of which I inherited) chose to be under management contracts, though I'm not averse to making the manager an employee. We have not offered benefits, though I would consider that as well. I pay all utilities, I do not pay for meals.
There is one housekeeper. That is the only employee other than the manager.

As an aspiring innkeeper whom is currently looking for innkeeping employment, my two biggest concerns are living quarters and salary, both of which you have covered.
regular_smile.gif
Next would be a breakdown of specific job responsiblities, what will the innkeeper be doing and what will the owner be doing, examples-marketing, accounting, ect..., and how will time off be planned.
Anything extra that would be out of the ordinary would need to be mentioned.

Question:
Are you here asking advice on the innkeeper position or actually looking for a new innkeeper here?
My suggestion would be to post a list of duties and all it entails, and then the rest of the info spelled out like pay, benefits, perks etc.
Nice place, looks like you would have some fun guests there too. :).
I'm really looking for advice. The only other time I hired a manager, I placed ads (yahoo jobs, Craigslist, military newspaper, etc.). I received a ton of responses, the vast majority of which were useless and time consuming. I'd like to find a more efficient process.
Of course, if someone reading this forum is interested in the job, I'd be happy to talk with them. Responsibilities include guest registration, marketing, setting and cleaning the breakfast room and property maintenance (not necessarily direct). We have a housekeeper, though the manager occasionally cleans rooms if only a couple are sold. I'm not looking for a caretaker, I want a manager who understands the business side of the enterprise and I will reward them if certain goals are achieved. As you well know, hospitality operations is not for everybody. You have to love the work. Also, with this type of property, it is both a lifestyle and a job.

Knowing that there are a couple of wonderful innkeepers on here, I would post this as an ad in the resource section.
Part 2- B&BTeam has a ver nice Needs/Wants section to their website. Thier site is www.bbteam.com
Good luck!
If I didn't have kids and could afford to take it on, I'd give you my resume...sounds like a great gig.

As an aspiring innkeeper whom is currently looking for innkeeping employment, my two biggest concerns are living quarters and salary, both of which you have covered.
regular_smile.gif
Next would be a breakdown of specific job responsiblities, what will the innkeeper be doing and what will the owner be doing, examples-marketing, accounting, ect..., and how will time off be planned.
Anything extra that would be out of the ordinary would need to be mentioned..
Responsibilities include marketing, registration/check-out, laundry, and basic property maintenance. We have a housekeeper, though the manager occasionally cleans rooms if only a couple are rented. I handle the accounting, as both myself and my business partner are CPAs. I'm also a hotel industry development consultant.
Office hours are 7-12 am and 3-7 pm. Of course, we make arrangements for guests checking in beyond these hours. I don't allow check-ins after 11 pm, though that is rarely an issue. Wedneday is an off day for the manager. Obviously, this type of work is not 9-5. To an extent, the manager is anchored to the property. That is why a couple works much better.
If you have a serious interest, please let me know. I'd be happy to discuss the position with you.

There are a few on this forum who may be interested if you can provide contact details for yourself and any other info. Hours expected to work, days off anticipated, etc. as well. I am asking on their behalf, before they make their presence known here. :)

regular_smile.gif
Anything extra that would be out of the ordinary would need to be mentioned..
Responsibilities include marketing, registration/check-out, laundry, and basic property maintenance. We have a housekeeper, though the manager occasionally cleans rooms if only a couple are rented. I handle the accounting, as both myself and my business partner are CPAs. I'm also a hotel industry development consultant.
Office hours are 7-12 am and 3-7 pm. Of course, we make arrangements for guests checking in beyond these hours. I don't allow check-ins after 11 pm, though that is rarely an issue. Wedneday is an off day for the manager. Obviously, this type of work is not 9-5. To an extent, the manager is anchored to the property. That is why a couple works much better.
If you have a serious interest, please let me know. I'd be happy to discuss the position with you.
I sent you a message....Let me know if you did not get it.
teeth_smile.gif

Back