If a person drives an hour they expect 1/2 a day of entertainment.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
http://ruraltourismmarketing.com/
interesting idea - If a person drives an hour they expect 1/2 a day of entertainment. Not sure of the source but seems about right. Obviously we want them for the night but for those of us with less of a destination, the two day stay might be hard to achieve.

[COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 17)]"Why is it a good idea to market more businesses than just your own?"[/COLOR]
This forum has said nothing but this since before its inception. Innkeepers on this forum are the marketers for their areas, in some instances MORE than their local tourism depts and chambers.
I met a head of tourism for a nearby city CVB yesterday and she said "Who is the techie?" I didn't know what she meant, she said "I get google alerts and your place comes up constantly promoting our region!" I laughed, and said it was me and that "For our town if I didn't do it nobody would!"
Grab the paper blog upcoming events. Something that might seem insignificant to us might be a draw for someone else.
I am very strongly biased about those inns now suffering/closing who have been reliant on location location location and just open their doors and make brownies and beds. Marketing is half the fun, it is also half the challenge. The avenues are out there - we can jump in with both feet!

[COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 17)]"Why is it a good idea to market more businesses than just your own?"[/COLOR]
This forum has said nothing but this since before its inception. Innkeepers on this forum are the marketers for their areas, in some instances MORE than their local tourism depts and chambers.
I met a head of tourism for a nearby city CVB yesterday and she said "Who is the techie?" I didn't know what she meant, she said "I get google alerts and your place comes up constantly promoting our region!" I laughed, and said it was me and that "For our town if I didn't do it nobody would!"
Grab the paper blog upcoming events. Something that might seem insignificant to us might be a draw for someone else.
I am very strongly biased about those inns now suffering/closing who have been reliant on location location location and just open their doors and make brownies and beds. Marketing is half the fun, it is also half the challenge. The avenues are out there - we can jump in with both feet!.
Even though I am new at this, I am amazed at what keywords seem to bring people to the blog. Things I did not even think were that interesting are getting lots of hits. I find I am using some of them to use as topics for additional posts.
While covering an event, I heard of a need for lots of lodging--we are closed, but another place in town,15 miles from the event, was complaining she had no bookings--didn't know about it. Poor website, no advertising, no involvement. Same place had been listed on Google as closed. She didn't know that either, yet she complains of lack of business!

That is a hard one as a direct competitor is a little hard to help. Not sure how I would handle that. Lucky for us we don't have any B&B's in town but we have 2 motels. I am pretty comfortable helping them as we are not really selling the same thing.

I am very strongly biased about those inns now suffering/closing who have been reliant on location location location and just open their doors and make brownies and beds. Marketing is half the fun, it is also half the challenge. The avenues are out there - we can jump in with both feet!.
Even though I am new at this, I am amazed at what keywords seem to bring people to the blog. Things I did not even think were that interesting are getting lots of hits. I find I am using some of them to use as topics for additional posts.
While covering an event, I heard of a need for lots of lodging--we are closed, but another place in town,15 miles from the event, was complaining she had no bookings--didn't know about it. Poor website, no advertising, no involvement. Same place had been listed on Google as closed. She didn't know that either, yet she complains of lack of business!
Poor website, no advertising, no involvement
You hit the nail on the head... SHE doesn't know how to run her business, very few businesses can depend on the
"you build it and they will come" theory.

Point I meant to make here is that you may overlook things that are commonplace to you. You don't think how that corn forest might look to someone who has never seen it! I had someone comment in awe to me about a cattle feed-lot once!
Maybe that bridge you cross, those train yards, or the birds that come to your feeder. Local events! Everywhere is new to someone! It is your corner of the world, look with fresh eyes and market it! (Business I mentioned has been there a long time, but the times, they are a changing.....)

Sorry I got off topic a bit. I read something like that too. Factor of Four. Will travel 1 hour if they expect to spend at least four hours there--not necessarily talking "entertainment", so if someone is driving 2 hours to get to you, they are planning on spending time at your location-- don't forget you count in that equation. On a short trip, how much running around do you want to do?

I expect a FULL DAY of entertainment and a personal tour guide from my innkeeper.
I want the full song and dance....
hahahahahahahahahahahaha............. j/k

That is a hard one as a direct competitor is a little hard to help. Not sure how I would handle that. Lucky for us we don't have any B&B's in town but we have 2 motels. I am pretty comfortable helping them as we are not really selling the same thing..
toddburme said:
That is a hard one as a direct competitor is a little hard to help. Not sure how I would handle that. Lucky for us we don't have any B&B's in town but we have 2 motels. I am pretty comfortable helping them as we are not really selling the same thing.
There are about 8-10 direct competitors where I live. And by direct, I mean directly across the street and next door, as well as down the block and around the corner! We have a group website and we try to keep the guests IN the B&B's. If someone calls me and absolutely has to have a jetted tub, I know where to send them. Bringing 3-4 kids? Ditto, I can send them to a place that is very family-friendly. Need a pool? I can suggest that, too.
Places here can fill up fast so it's good to know what the comp has on offer. We all help each other. The hotels do the same thing for the hotels. They rarely refer to the B&B's even if every room is taken. They will send guests to a completely different town.

Point I meant to make here is that you may overlook things that are commonplace to you. You don't think how that corn forest might look to someone who has never seen it! I had someone comment in awe to me about a cattle feed-lot once!
Maybe that bridge you cross, those train yards, or the birds that come to your feeder. Local events! Everywhere is new to someone! It is your corner of the world, look with fresh eyes and market it! (Business I mentioned has been there a long time, but the times, they are a changing.....).
white pine said:
Maybe that bridge you cross, those train yards, or the birds that come to your feeder. Local events! Everywhere is new to someone! It is your corner of the world, look with fresh eyes and market it! (Business I mentioned has been there a long time, but the times, they are a changing.....)
There are many people who hit the "blue ways" to see Small town America. They road trip to see things that are different than at home. I will never forget the call from my parents who ventured to the south for the first time and saw a chain gang working on the sides of the road. It was the HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE TRIP! My Dad said "The guy holding the shotgun even had mirrores sunglasses, it was just like Cool Hand Luke"
That movie was filmed in CALF where Dad grew up, but was more portrayed as a southern thing. So Dad was excited. Mentioning this as some things we find interesting may only be from a movie we enjoyed years ago. To see the low country and the shrimp fleet...little things like that are VERY valuable to visitors.
I will never forget when Seashanty mentioned the place in town in Port Clyde where you eat lobster at a picnic table on newspaper, she said that some guests don't like that sort of thing, and wanted the fine dining experience, and I asked immediately the name and location as it is ideal for many others. Sitting near the dock when the lobsterman come in...eating lobster on newspaper covered tables. COOL!!!

Maybe that bridge you cross, those train yards, or the birds that come to your feeder. Local events! Everywhere is new to someone! It is your corner of the world, look with fresh eyes and market it! (Business I mentioned has been there a long time, but the times, they are a changing.....).
white pine said:
There are many people who hit the "blue ways" to see Small town America. They road trip to see things that are different than at home. I will never forget the call from my parents who ventured to the south for the first time and saw a chain gang working on the sides of the road. It was the HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE TRIP! My Dad said "The guy holding the shotgun even had mirrores sunglasses, it was just like Cool Hand Luke"
That movie was filmed in CALF where Dad grew up, but was more portrayed as a southern thing. So Dad was excited. Mentioning this as some things we find interesting may only be from a movie we enjoyed years ago. To see the low country and the shrimp fleet...little things like that are VERY valuable to visitors.
I will never forget when Seashanty mentioned the place in town in Port Clyde where you eat lobster at a picnic table on newspaper, she said that some guests don't like that sort of thing, and wanted the fine dining experience, and I asked immediately the name and location as it is ideal for many others. Sitting near the dock when the lobsterman come in...eating lobster on newspaper covered tables. COOL!!!
Isn't it great when guests come who want to see/do something different from what they have at home!

That is a hard one as a direct competitor is a little hard to help. Not sure how I would handle that. Lucky for us we don't have any B&B's in town but we have 2 motels. I am pretty comfortable helping them as we are not really selling the same thing..
toddburme said:
There are about 8-10 direct competitors where I live. And by direct, I mean directly across the street and next door, as well as down the block and around the corner! We have a group website and we try to keep the guests IN the B&B's. If someone calls me and absolutely has to have a jetted tub, I know where to send them. Bringing 3-4 kids? Ditto, I can send them to a place that is very family-friendly. Need a pool? I can suggest that, too.
Places here can fill up fast so it's good to know what the comp has on offer. We all help each other. The hotels do the same thing for the hotels. They rarely refer to the B&B's even if every room is taken. They will send guests to a completely different town.
Alibi Ike said:
That is great. I would like to be able to do that where we are.

white pine said:
The chain gang mows the City property where I live. The guy's name with the mirrored sunglasses & shotgun that supervises the downtown crew is James. I am not kidding! I talk to him every couple of weeks in the Summer....

white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
the place in town in Port Clyde where you eat lobster at a picnic table on newspaper,
Those are THE BEST places. I call it "Local color".

white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Local flavor! Those that travel and not want to experience it might as well stay home!

Poor website, no advertising, no involvement
You hit the nail on the head... SHE doesn't know how to run her business, very few businesses can depend on the
"you build it and they will come" theory.
I opened my B & B on the "build it and they will come" theory BUT
You have to tell people you are there. That is the one little thing they left out of that movie!

Saturday, DH noticed in our daily rag there was to be a meeting of one of the 2 CVBs in this county (one of the "boys in the peeing contest) on revitalizing it. In perusing their website for ammo (other than the website sucks) I found the info on my city hqs 2 historic homes listed - one I never heard of (2 blocks away, it is a residence) and the other was torn down before we moved here. Big kicker is they want me to pay them $50 per year to be a member.
OK. this morning I drag my body out of the rack, use gas to get there, pay $3 to park, and THEN find out the date was wrong - it is tomorrow! I will be there tomorrow for about 2 hours (if they do not throw me out first) because I have to go to the Lenten Services (Prez of the sponsoring group & have called a meeting after so I can get a vote to give the Good Friday collection to the Food Bank for Finestien matching funds).
BOTH of the "little boys" are useless. Neither of them has a Director who knows squat about tourism or how to bring tourists to the area. One was involved with a local heritage festival that is in the top 100 with tour companies but she was not the driving force there and a festival on one weekend a year is not knowing how to bring people in from all over ALL year! The other one is an idjit jock who is buddies with the right people and knows less about tourism than the festival person.
First they have to know the area and then they have to know marketing!!!

Back