If I could tell an aspiring innkeeper one thing it would be...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakfast Diva said:
What ONE thing do you wish you had been told before you became an innkeeper?
I agree that the title of this thread and your question above are not the same...
I read every post on our predecessor forum... there was nothing that I wasn't told before I became an innkeeper. Of course, being told and understanding what I was told are not the same thing...
I would tell an aspiring that if they are willing to work really, really hard, that there's no reason they can't be an innkeeper, too. Maybe not a 8 room, lake front inn... but somewhere there's a niche and a way to pay for it.
The first innkeeper I ever talked to about innkeeping told me that innkeeping was "Brawn! A lot of muscle! Long days and hard work!" I didn't understand why, so she elaborated. She was sooo right!
So, I was told, but it's the thing I'd tell an aspiring... innkeeping is not for the lazy or faint of heart.... but if you're willing, you're able!
=)
Kk.

Wait! The title and question are two different questions...
The question in the first thread:
"What ONE thing do you wish you had been told before you became an innkeeper?"
My answer to that would be:
"THE TRUTH".
That's why I said, "have a lot of money" :) NO ONE ever told me that!
Samster said:
That's why I said, "have a lot of money" :) NO ONE ever told me that!
In our case, we borrowed a lot of money. We were lucky though in that we didn't have any other debts. The B&B has been productive enough so that it has nearly paid back the original loan. Yay!
Let me add for aspiring MARRIED COUPLES....talk to each other. Delineate responsibilities upfront and there will be fewer conflicts later. This is not worth screwing up your marriage.
Make sure you have a good business plan in place before you ever open your doors.
Was your loan residential or commercial? As a three room Inn (even one that does impressive revenues), I can't find anyone that will finance us....not even as a residential refinance as long as that sign is out front. Our credit is flawless, and the Inn pays for itself...but because the deductions on the tax return show a break even, a commercial loan is out of the question.
We are still working from the residential mortgage we took out when we bought the house...thank god the terms were good.
Little Blue said:
Was your loan residential or commercial?
Our original loan was with a land bank to finance the purchase of our acreage. We paid cash to build our home and then we were able to refinance the whole thing plus enough for the two cottages through a local bank.
The portion we borrowed for the two cottages is what is nearly paid off. Our land payment is made from an annual disbursement from our IRA called a 72T. Fortunately that disbursement is totally derived from part of the interest we made, so our principal is untouched. It's great because it doesn't make a dent in our pension.

We learned the most important thing right here. Private baths are a requirement. Even European B&Bs are adding them whenever possible. We previously considered shared, but many of the good people on this board straightened us out right away. We heeded. They were right. It is such a universal expectation that I notice it is hardly discussed here anymore.
We also consulted the local health department before remodeling the kitchen. Saved many $.
-KathleenM

I wish I had been more prepared for 'innkeeper inches'. Or rather, how to avoid piling them on around my middle.
I know I'm not the only innkeeper to gain weight after buying/opening a B&B. For me, it was the change in routine... from M-F office job and going to the gym every day before work to chaotic schedule and sporadically fitting in exercise and telling myself it was enough because I have a more physical job now. And don't forget testing the recipes out on us before unleashing them on guests. And working from home where the kitchen is right at hand and I'm in there sooo much anyway. And additional stress somehow leads to additional chocolate...
4 1/2 years into this I finally rejoined a gym and I'm down 25 lbs in 3 months. I still have some work to do to get to my pre-B&B shape but my energy level is waaaay up. I should have joined a gym and maintained my fitness routine from the start. I would tell aspiring innkeepers to take care of themselves despite the chaos. It'll make it that much easier to care of everything else.

Get your innkeepers' quarters in order before opening...you won't have much time to tackle it when you get busier.

Get your innkeepers' quarters in order before opening...you won't have much time to tackle it when you get busier..
Samster said:
Get your innkeepers' quarters in order before opening...you won't have much time to tackle it when you get busier.
Also, see the entries in this forum about having doors that lock!

I wish I had been more prepared for 'innkeeper inches'. Or rather, how to avoid piling them on around my middle.
I know I'm not the only innkeeper to gain weight after buying/opening a B&B. For me, it was the change in routine... from M-F office job and going to the gym every day before work to chaotic schedule and sporadically fitting in exercise and telling myself it was enough because I have a more physical job now. And don't forget testing the recipes out on us before unleashing them on guests. And working from home where the kitchen is right at hand and I'm in there sooo much anyway. And additional stress somehow leads to additional chocolate...
4 1/2 years into this I finally rejoined a gym and I'm down 25 lbs in 3 months. I still have some work to do to get to my pre-B&B shape but my energy level is waaaay up. I should have joined a gym and maintained my fitness routine from the start. I would tell aspiring innkeepers to take care of themselves despite the chaos. It'll make it that much easier to care of everything else..
happyjacks said:
4 1/2 years into this I finally rejoined a gym and I'm down 25 lbs in 3 months. I still have some work to do to get to my pre-B&B shape but my energy level is waaaay up. I should have joined a gym and maintained my fitness routine from the start. I would tell aspiring innkeepers to take care of themselves despite the chaos. It'll make it that much easier to care of everything else.
Fitting in gym time is not always easy. I try and make it there around noon and then stop at the grocery which is right across the street from the gym on the way home.
I happen to be one of those people that finds it extremely difficult not to eat the food that I cook, especially baked goods. I love my sweets. That's why I no longer put Ghiradella chocolates on guest beds.

4 1/2 years into this I finally rejoined a gym and I'm down 25 lbs in 3 months. I still have some work to do to get to my pre-B&B shape but my energy level is waaaay up. I should have joined a gym and maintained my fitness routine from the start. I would tell aspiring innkeepers to take care of themselves despite the chaos. It'll make it that much easier to care of everything else..
THe first couple of months, I acutally lost 20 pounds from going up and down the steps so many times. THen after I got into the baking etc and sampling and eating left overs...it all came back:-( I have been working at losing it since we retired. STill working on it......

happyjacks said:
Fitting in gym time is not always easy. I try and make it there around noon and then stop at the grocery which is right across the street from the gym on the way home.
I happen to be one of those people that finds it extremely difficult not to eat the food that I cook, especially baked goods. I love my sweets. That's why I no longer put Ghiradella chocolates on guest beds.
I found that when I was going to the gym in town, it became one more stress on me. I had to get there whether I really had the time or not. I couldn't handle it anymore so I bought a treadmill for home and quit the gym. Hmmm....now where is that treadmil???????? Oh yeah, I remember now! Right next to that stationary bike.

happyjacks said:
I found that when I was going to the gym in town, it became one more stress on me. I had to get there whether I really had the time or not. I couldn't handle it anymore so I bought a treadmill for home and quit the gym. Hmmm....now where is that treadmil???????? Oh yeah, I remember now! Right next to that stationary bike.
Ha ha....Treadmill..Stationary BIke, Rowing Machine and weights....all sitting there collecting dust...most of the time. I hate using them in the basement.

happyjacks said:
Ha ha....Treadmill..Stationary BIke, Rowing Machine and weights....all sitting there collecting dust...most of the time. I hate using them in the basement.
catlady said:
LOL! I have that stuff too. They make a handy place to hang things to dry.
I have discovered I can store 3 laundry baskets worth of wash on the treadmill and save a little floor space.

Really do your recearch on location. Look at local occupancy figures can the market sustain a new place or make more business for an existing place. We spent 3 years looking at places before we bought and people say oh you are soo lucky with your location and car park etc. No we did our homework and bought carefully because even though the building needed a lot of work and we are constantly improving it you cannot change your address! just because it is beautiful doesn't mean you can attract enough business to it.

I missed this the first time around. The one thing I would tell an aspiring is: you need more money. I don't care how much you have, you need more.

Not sure if this is THE most important, but has not yet been covered. And after two years as an innkeeper, I'm working on this right now:
Work out, build some muscle, get in shape, and eat healthy. This is to avoid utter and complete exhaustion after every string of full house nights.

I missed this the first time around. The one thing I would tell an aspiring is: you need more money. I don't care how much you have, you need more..
Morticia said:
I missed this the first time around. The one thing I would tell an aspiring is: you need more money. I don't care how much you have, you need more.
Ditto. However much you think you're going to bring in as revenue, count on half of that. However much you think things will cost, double that. Then you'll probably have the money you need.

I missed this the first time around. The one thing I would tell an aspiring is: you need more money. I don't care how much you have, you need more..
What saved our butts in the beginning (we were a start-up) was the fact we had NO mortgage. Our first 10 years were without honking debts - then we put siding on the house and I created a second bathroom upstairs. Now I am in honking loan payment city! But by now we were a bit more established and had our repeats (yes, even a 3 w/shared I had repeats - and some of them were romantic meet-in-the-middle romance).
If moving to a new area, learn as much as you can about the area. Take drives on days with no guests to learn the area roads and what is there - because you will have the advantage of seeing it as a stranger sees it to know what there is of interest. Locals have always seen it and it is no biggie to them.

Sice there where more than one
You have to be a "morning person" to seem happy at 6AM when you went to bed at 2AM...:)
Same as before: Have enough $$$$$$$ to run it and don't expect the "if I build it they will come" attitude unless it had been a very successfull BnB in the past...
Ok enough..too many to count.
or your partner has to be a morning person...one of you has to do it!

Be yourself, be flexible, have a life. If they like you, they'll come back and tell their friends about you. If they don't like you, you don't want them back, or their friends.

Back