If I could tell an aspiring innkeeper one thing it would be...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expect to be tied to the B&B (this comes from an innkeeper who actually leaves the inn when guests are checked in - shock horror! If I didn't I would go insane...okay insanerrrr)
If there is a death, you have guests, if there is a wedding, you have guests, if you are barfing all night due to the flu - guests. You can't call in sick, there is no bereavement leave, and you can't just leave when you feel like it to blow off steam! There is no "excuse me give me a moment."
Lock stock and barrell - you're there.

I said it before, I'll say it again...
No matter how much you hear that it's a lot of work...
It is a LOT of work. I mean, a LOT. Really. LOTS AND LOTS. No, more than that... a LOT! If you're not willing to work hard, don't bother. I don't care if you have one room or 18 and staff, you'll be working harder than you've ever imagined.
YOU
WILL
WORK
HARD
OR
GO
UNDER!
No, really... it's a LOT of work!
=)
Kk.

Expect to be tied to the B&B (this comes from an innkeeper who actually leaves the inn when guests are checked in - shock horror! If I didn't I would go insane...okay insanerrrr)
If there is a death, you have guests, if there is a wedding, you have guests, if you are barfing all night due to the flu - guests. You can't call in sick, there is no bereavement leave, and you can't just leave when you feel like it to blow off steam! There is no "excuse me give me a moment."
Lock stock and barrell - you're there..
I caught onto that pretty quickly and then cut myself some slack. We don't forward the phone when we're out. If we're out, we're 'off' for a few hours. Guests are given our cell number but we don't take calls from 'strangers.'
Realize there is a big difference between our 2 situations, but we each of us try to get out of the house each day for some down time. A walk, just sitting outside or even a nap. It takes planning.

It is a LOT of work. I mean, a LOT. Really. LOTS AND LOTS. No, more than that... a LOT! If you're not willing to work hard, don't bother. I don't care if you have one room or 18 and staff, you'll be working harder than you've ever imagined.
YOU
WILL
WORK
HARD
OR
GO
UNDER!
=)
Kk..
So really, YellowSocks, is it A LOT of work?? tee hee hee.................
Lots of people have no clue. One of my least favorite guest questions, "What do you do for a job?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

YOU
WILL
WORK
HARD
OR
GO
UNDER!
=)
Kk..
Lots of people have no clue. One of my least favorite guest questions, "What do you do for a job?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???
Samster said:
Or, when everyone leaves early after breakfast and the clueless say, 'This is the life, you're off for the rest of the day.'

YOU
WILL
WORK
HARD
OR
GO
UNDER!
=)
Kk..
Samster said:
Or, when everyone leaves early after breakfast and the clueless say, 'This is the life, you're off for the rest of the day.'
When the 4pm check in is here at 10pm...you have been waiting since 3pm. Then they check out at the last possible second. This is something that makes me batty.
(oops sorry I think I was only supposed to answer once) I'm done. :)
WAIT! ONE MORE! For Aspirings - don't trust innkeepers selling their inn, do your homework - check it all out thoroughly. (there are liars out there)

Don't buy cheap, it's a false economy.
Cheap bed linen will fall to bits before the seasons out, cheap towels go horrible and rough very quickly, cheap crochery and cutlery will look scaggy very quickly and cheap food looks and tastes like what it is.
You know it's cheap and your guests will know.

YOU
WILL
WORK
HARD
OR
GO
UNDER!
=)
Kk..
Samster said:
I know someone said that to my sister oh well when you finish breakfast you are done for the day arn't you interested in going into it? She was like and who does the rooms, answers the phone, does the ironing, maintenance, marketing, shopping + all the normal llife stuff? Oh year I forgot about that! mmmm!!

Also don't buy anything for a guest room that you would be gutted if it got completely trashed. Furniture has a life much shorter than in a private home be prepared for a high turnover. same goes for carpets, bed linen and pretty much anything that guests come into contact with. Factor this into your maintenance budget.

I wish I had been more prepared for 'innkeeper inches'. Or rather, how to avoid piling them on around my middle.
I know I'm not the only innkeeper to gain weight after buying/opening a B&B. For me, it was the change in routine... from M-F office job and going to the gym every day before work to chaotic schedule and sporadically fitting in exercise and telling myself it was enough because I have a more physical job now. And don't forget testing the recipes out on us before unleashing them on guests. And working from home where the kitchen is right at hand and I'm in there sooo much anyway. And additional stress somehow leads to additional chocolate...
4 1/2 years into this I finally rejoined a gym and I'm down 25 lbs in 3 months. I still have some work to do to get to my pre-B&B shape but my energy level is waaaay up. I should have joined a gym and maintained my fitness routine from the start. I would tell aspiring innkeepers to take care of themselves despite the chaos. It'll make it that much easier to care of everything else..
I have to agree that private baths are a must and the most important thing. We started this with 6 rooms, and three rooms were sharing a bath. Not good and not good for business. After much renovations and much money spent they now all have private baths though we are now down to 5 rooms. Guests really do want that in North America. I guess we are all spoiled or something but that is what people do want.

If you don't have a clue about websites go with a pro. I learned the hard way, but I did learn, and am still learning! I went with one that also teaches, expensive but well worth it.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back