If it's yellow, let it mellow....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specific

Reaction score
After essentially destroying our beautiful street last fall for about 8 weeks (at least it wasn't at the busiest time of our season) to redo the water / sewer, the city decided to do some more work, and started digging up the street again, but at least it is only for 1 week (supposedly) ... They are lining the sewer pipes or something of the sort
We got a notice from the city telling us that on the day they will do the work for our house, we should minimize the usage of the sewage, i.e, they recommend not to flush the toilets, take showers, etc... They will give us a notice of 48 hours before doing the actual work.
Now, how am I suppose to tell guests that if the use the toilet, that they shouldn't flush even for number 2 ? And who wants to come over and clean the bathroom for us on that day ?

Now you are talking california style... one flush per day.
It ain't gonna be pretty, for guests we have to do something different, like when we had our drought and were not allowed to water potted plants or offer guests water.

When we first bought our house, we started a lot of construction. We were open, but there was no front porch and the yard was a mess. We gave a stated discount on the rooms for construction. Everyone was happy.
I know it's not your fault that the town is fixing pipes this week, but if you require people to not take showers or flush, I'd suggest a discount to make them happy.

This doesn't help you - when we first took over our first big weekend we had a problem with the sewer. It backed up into our bathtub and one guest room.
Options were to wake every guest and tell them no flushing and no showers and refund their money or, let the chips fall where they may.
The guest bathroom was already in a state that required a complete rebuild so we let everything flow downhill and dealt with it later.
I'd be more likely in your situation to find A backup location where the guests could stay last minute. We did pay for the guests in the disaster room to stay at a hotel where they could shower and get breakfast as well as refunding their stay with us.
We've had the power turned off unexpectedly, this sewer backup happened twice but we had a solution the second time, it's always something.

Well, at least it is during the daytime when most of them are out... :)

Well, at least it is during the daytime when most of them are out... :).
Generic said:
Well, at least it is during the daytime when most of them are out... :)
Well there's always that!
The way it works here is the workers show up at 7am! Without fail.
We had them jackhammering right outside the windows to run the gas lines a few years ago. You'd think they could start at the other end where no one lives!

Meanwhile... they cemented up the hole nearest the house yesterday... and no work today. Hmm....

UGH! We are too far away to help. Can only commiserate.

And today the SHOE dropped... but not too badly.
I got a note saying that the sewer will be off from Wednesday 7 to Thursday 5... but with no AM or PM listed (aren't they fun.) But I'm going to assume it's 2 days. Well, we have only one guest on Wednesday and none on Thursday and so I just closed those days. For the guests on Wednesday, I will explain and make a deal with them, likely 1/2 price or N/C. Otherwise, it should be a rather easy thing and the next guests are Friday. It's almost like karma was working... it's the lightest of days.

So... sitting a home listening to machinery on the street, the sleeve installed on the pipes. Say we can flush tomorrow at 5AM. Can't do laundry today, can't do dishes, etc. But only one guest and we should be done for years :)

Back