If they all had common sense...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
hahahaaaaa, this morning, at around 9:30, 2 guests were sitting outside their cottage, walking around their cottage, walking in front of our home until precisely at 10 am, they jumped into their car and started pulling out. I caught them and thanked them for staying with us. But I just couldn't stop myself, I had to ask why they were sitting out there in that cold, wet morning for so long.
"check out is at 10. We were ready to leave before then, but made sure to be on time."
I suppose now I have to change the signage to "check out is by 10" not "at 10"
tounge_smile.gif

Yes, we clearly post that check-out is before 10:30 am. That makes it clear that they can leave anytime as long as it is before the appointed time. But kudos to them for being so considerate of you! What time did they check in?

Hope you told them "come back soon". They'll do it!

That is funny. One for the books.
It always amazes me how some take everything so literal. But I would rather that then the ones that think 10am check out means anytime before 11am.
wink_smile.gif

It always amazes me how some take everything so literal. But I would rather that then the ones that think 10am check out means anytime before 11am.
wink_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
Like the 10 oclock hour. I hear ya on that one. Today we had all rooms exit by 940am, that never happens! I was blown away, we were able to exit ourselves and make it to church. The last time I sat in church with my sister (who is visiting) was in 1983. It was a very special day for me.

wink_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
Like the 10 oclock hour. I hear ya on that one. Today we had all rooms exit by 940am, that never happens! I was blown away, we were able to exit ourselves and make it to church. The last time I sat in church with my sister (who is visiting) was in 1983. It was a very special day for me.
Joey Bloggs said:
Here, too. Rooms were all cleaned by 11:30.
Glad you got to spend time with your family at church.

It may be subtle, but I always say and put on my website that check-out is no later than 11. Don't know if it helps any, since we occasionally get the stragglers, but for the most part late check-outs aren't much of a problem.

Wow, no wonder they're changing the educational system so that people stop memorizing stuff and actually learn to be critical thinkers and how to apply stuff to everyday life.
I had a woman and her daughter show up this morning at 9:45 to "look at one of your rooms we saw online because I'm getting married in October and need to see it before I can book." I explained that unfortunately all of the jacuzzi rooms were booked and people were actually still in them because it was raining and I wouldn't take them into an occupied guest room anyway. She was upset because she had driven over an hour to get here. I asked if she could come back later as one was checking out and I'd get it picked up so she could see it, but she had other things to do later. She said she saw online they were all full last night but figured I could still let her in to look around. We need more critical thinkers in this world.

See now, my thought was these folks were older. Iris, what was their age group?
Years ao, My dad (RIP) got confused driving to a wedding with my mother and they drove all the way HOME to start at the beginning.

Wow, no wonder they're changing the educational system so that people stop memorizing stuff and actually learn to be critical thinkers and how to apply stuff to everyday life.
I had a woman and her daughter show up this morning at 9:45 to "look at one of your rooms we saw online because I'm getting married in October and need to see it before I can book." I explained that unfortunately all of the jacuzzi rooms were booked and people were actually still in them because it was raining and I wouldn't take them into an occupied guest room anyway. She was upset because she had driven over an hour to get here. I asked if she could come back later as one was checking out and I'd get it picked up so she could see it, but she had other things to do later. She said she saw online they were all full last night but figured I could still let her in to look around. We need more critical thinkers in this world..
If you are going to drive over an hour to look at some place, I would think you would want to make an appointment in advance -- you know, to make sure you are going to be able to see what you want to see when you want to see it?

I had a woman and her daughter show up this morning at 9:45 to "look at one of your rooms we saw online because I'm getting married in October and need to see it before I can book." I explained that unfortunately all of the jacuzzi rooms were booked and people were actually still in them because it was raining and I wouldn't take them into an occupied guest room anyway. She was upset because she had driven over an hour to get here. I asked if she could come back later as one was checking out and I'd get it picked up so she could see it, but she had other things to do later. She said she saw online they were all full last night but figured I could still let her in to look around. We need more critical thinkers in this world..
This woman and her daughter are just self absorbed. Their thinking process centers around their needs. No one else matters.

I don't want to point to drugs, steroids, fast food, stupid parenting, TV or drugs, but there seems to be more and more people whose brains "don't work right."
I have an employee who might do just what your guests did--she can only think of one thing at a time, but can get sidetracked onto a one-lane side yard.... Sometimes I liken her to a squirrel in traffic. She's a great cleaner but you have to be VERY SPECIFIC with your instructions.
On Tuesday she took the rugs out of bathrooms to shake them so on Friday I said, clean the rooms and take the rugs out to shake them. Next thing you know she had the BIG RUGS out of the guest rooms, too!!! Well, now, the floors under the beds are very clean. It took an extra 1/2 hour per room on Friday. Geez.
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever.

I don't want to point to drugs, steroids, fast food, stupid parenting, TV or drugs, but there seems to be more and more people whose brains "don't work right."
I have an employee who might do just what your guests did--she can only think of one thing at a time, but can get sidetracked onto a one-lane side yard.... Sometimes I liken her to a squirrel in traffic. She's a great cleaner but you have to be VERY SPECIFIC with your instructions.
On Tuesday she took the rugs out of bathrooms to shake them so on Friday I said, clean the rooms and take the rugs out to shake them. Next thing you know she had the BIG RUGS out of the guest rooms, too!!! Well, now, the floors under the beds are very clean. It took an extra 1/2 hour per room on Friday. Geez.
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever..
It has taken us quite a while to learn how to manage our employees (still learning), too. Exactly the same thing -- need to be very specific with instructions. Clearly, they can't read our minds!

Another thread gone awry...
I actually thought the original post was cute and funny.
Pretty sure Iris was not asking how to word her check out times, and the general downfall of humanity.
shades_smile.gif

I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever..
One complicating factor here is, if the person is truly a W-2 employee, then can give them these kind of instructions.
If the person is a cleaning service or you have it set up as they clean your place along with some others on a contract with their clients, then these kind of detailed instructions and training push them out of contracting and into employment. This brings along requirements to do withholding (all taxes and FICA), workmen's comp, insurance, unemployment against your business, keeping longterm employment records, etc. Having employees brings on a whole lot of regulatory and other requirements that eat your time.
Essentially a contract cleaning person supplies their own materials and tools, does not get trained, works on their hours, and you are one of multiple clients, etc. You can basically tell them "I need (these parts of) the room cleaned during the hours of X and Y.

Mountain City host said:
I'm a person with lots of nuances in my language and my thinking. Adapting to this employee is quit a challenge. Even writing it down can be a challenge, both for us and for her. Eventually we'll get it all straight but in the meanwhile, I dislike management even more than ever.
Is your employee online? This is a public forum and you have your name and B&B on every post... just sayin'...
This forum has some powerful SEO and when someone searches for your B&B it will come up.

Back