If you could...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
...get rid of one particular type of guest, which one would it be?
This is for fun only, and a little end of season venting, for those who need that.
I will begin by saying: Groups or people traveling together. I have found the no-boundaries and the false bravado and pack mentality to be the worst type of guest. Always. One little bad apple can be more easily overcome and set straight.

The 'it is plainly obvious I am much superior to you as it appears you clean toilets for a living' mindset guest. We've knocked a few chips off shoulders this year but it gets old after awhile. Hey, guess what, we're all humans!
I don't care as it reflects more on that person than on me, but it bothers me when they attempt that crap on my partner.

The ones who think they cn just change their arrival date to whatever.
Last year we had horse people who changed their date 3 times before they finally came - and by that time we were having WINTER! We are used to cold and a bit on the dreary side as winter but here we usually do not get what we had last winter SNOW and MORE SNOW. They got here just before it hit and lucked out that there was no conflict. I guess that made them think they could pull that again. They WERE scheduled to be here the Monday before Thanksgiving. Now they want to move it by 2 days - to Wednesday for one night. Even if I do not have a package, I will be cooking Thanksgiving for friends - I do not want to have to do a breakfast also.
Surprise, I told them I cannot answer that until Nov 16 - the day after the cutoff for booking my Thanksgiving package. I am not going to screw up a 3-night big dollar package for a 1-nighter - even if it means they do not stay on the return trip. This will be their 3rd stay here - IF I do not have a Thanksgiving package book or they change their date.

Skiing families. Self-absorbed. Want a quick breakfast, dealing with their ill-mannered children. Then, off to the slopes. Oh, and how is it possible that a family of four can use so many towels? We give them plenty in their rooms, but they wet those down, then ransack the pool towel rack. When we started this business, nobody told us there was such a thing as towel locusts.

I have trouble with people who assume I am not the owner GRRR my parents came to help me and when a lady (it was a busy coference) asked about booking for next year they rightly said she would have to speak to me and she said "I've spoken to the owner about making a reservation for next year and they said I would have to speak to you" I said "no you havn't cos you havn't spoken to me" GRRR. also people who are only in one night and act as if paying the night before is scanalous. Followed by people who only enquire and think they have booked or say they will ring back to confirm as they have to check with husband, lawyer, therpist etc first. am I the only one capable of making a booking decision?

Wow great question...for today it would be the HORRIBLE guests who seem to think this is their second home (JB and Muirford, you met these folks in December). They are overly familiar in every way and take advantage of every single amenity we offer. Last December they stayed for 5 nights, they were back in Sept. for 4 nights and were actually fairly "normal", until the last day at breakfast when they were screeching back and forth across the table to each other and all the other guests just sort of sat there in shock. They just checked in this past Saturday and are not leaving until tomorrow. These are the type of people who if you put out 6 cookies, they will eat 6 cookies. If you put out 12, they will eat 12. If you put out 36, they will eat 36. I dearly wish I was exaggerating. And they DO NOT LEAVE the house, so I have to constantly police to be sure others can get their share if they like. Yesterday they went through 12 teabags and a QUART of half and half. It really came to a head earlier this week when we had set a fire for the guests. We leave extra wood piled in the parlor, plus extra piled just outside on the patio if they need more. Of course that night they burned EVERY piece of wood that was there (about 30). The next night we purposefully did not set a fire, as we were not going to set a precedent for the rest of their time here, and it was much warmer. Imagine our surprise to come home at 7 pm after finally getting out to the grocery store to find a fire merrily burning away
omg_smile.gif
. This person had to trudge all the way down our yard, in the dark, to our giant wood pile, uncover the wood pile, and drag wood up to the house. THEN she had to find the starter logs and put the whole thing together. I seriously thought DH would have a stroke. I went right out and confronted her and let her know we had PURPOSELY not laid a fire. She apologized and we basically just walked away from it. She keeps apologizing profusely and of course it is not my intention to make anyone feel badly so I am trying to be low key about it. ALL the fire accoutrements have been locked away out of guest areas for the rest of the week so at least we didn't have a repeat. Part of me wishes we had just asked them to leave then and there. Tomorrow morning cannot come soon enough.
Sorry for the run on post but I am burying this in here just in case...

Oh Don! You poor things, they are very strange people and if they were but one or two nights you could deal with it. Same room? Lowest priced and then take advantage of everything else. I wonder, I mean, I think about this...is a B&B a getaway that is the same as a RENTAL? They definitely use it as one.

Oh Don! You poor things, they are very strange people and if they were but one or two nights you could deal with it. Same room? Lowest priced and then take advantage of everything else. I wonder, I mean, I think about this...is a B&B a getaway that is the same as a RENTAL? They definitely use it as one..
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh Don! You poor things, they are very strange people and if they were but one or two nights you could deal with it. Same room? Lowest priced and then take advantage of everything else. I wonder, I mean, I think about this...is a B&B a getaway that is the same as a RENTAL? They definitely use it as one.
But of course on the room. A B&B stay should be the FURTHEST thing from a rental, I have no clue why they have decided they like it here so much. I could deal with it if they would LEAVE for a little while during the day, give us a chance to catch up. There is just something not right about them, I don't know what else I can do but grin and bear it.

Sorry about the repeat PITAS Draper and yes sometimes would like to do the NCIS slap back of head.
Have guest right now for a week, first night she was upset cause we don't have phones in the room and that she needed a phone-DH is much better at this told her that she could use to house phone ( I told him WHAT!? we have a business to run) on top of that she would not answer the call waiting-that just pissed me off. We always provide a menu and set a time for brekf. with out guests as long as its not before 7AM or after 9AM-she said 8:30-did not show for breakfast-THAT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD-waited till 10AM thankfully had a small stratta and it holds up well. We cleared the table...she called last night from her "cell phone" to tell us that she "can't turn off the TV" cause the remote does not work-hubbie had to go to her room and then she adminted to the remote dropping on the floor-sorry but at 11PM we did not have an extra remote. Couldnt she just get up of her butt and TURN THE tv OFF?!
Yea im venting. But its okay we've been blessed with more wonderful guests than PITA's...

Sorry about the repeat PITAS Draper and yes sometimes would like to do the NCIS slap back of head.
Have guest right now for a week, first night she was upset cause we don't have phones in the room and that she needed a phone-DH is much better at this told her that she could use to house phone ( I told him WHAT!? we have a business to run) on top of that she would not answer the call waiting-that just pissed me off. We always provide a menu and set a time for brekf. with out guests as long as its not before 7AM or after 9AM-she said 8:30-did not show for breakfast-THAT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD-waited till 10AM thankfully had a small stratta and it holds up well. We cleared the table...she called last night from her "cell phone" to tell us that she "can't turn off the TV" cause the remote does not work-hubbie had to go to her room and then she adminted to the remote dropping on the floor-sorry but at 11PM we did not have an extra remote. Couldnt she just get up of her butt and TURN THE tv OFF?!
Yea im venting. But its okay we've been blessed with more wonderful guests than PITA's....
I know this is small solace, but just remember this person has absolutely no one in her life who cares about her petty complaints. Everyone with whom she has daily contact has learned to just ignore her. She is to the point in her life where she has to PAY to stay somewhere that people will HAVE to care about her concerns. Honestly, draw the line and make yourself unavailable after certain hours, she'll live until the morning. How many more nights?

I find the most difficult group of guests are the ones for whom the B&B arrangements have been made by someone else. Either a parent, adult child, secretary, whoever!!! They seem to come in with God-knows-what kind of expectations because they have not made the reservations themselves, seen our website or talked with us.

Back