If you give them an ear...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...what do guests complain to you about in re their experiences elsewhere?
The number one complaint we've heard this year is: "We never saw the innkeepers." Compounded by, "If we did see the innkeepers, they just flung stuff at us like we were taking up too much time."
Do not know the background...they weren't whingy guests here, they showed up on schedule, they ate everything we fed them, they never really asked us for anything, they were quiet as could be and neat and tidy. But who knows what they acted like elsewhere.
Just wondering if guests complain to you about other places? And if there is one complaint that you heard more than others?

About the only complaints I hear are about very strict rules and very bossy hosts. If one brings this up I usually ask - in a very polite way - about our rules... When I ask they are assured that we honestly want to know their feelings. I do not want to be 'one of those'.
One recent guest - not really complaining but chuckling about a previous stay where there were notes all over. The topic arose after her mentioning my little labels on the remotes (TV & DVD as well as the temp control) in the rooms, each stating what they controled. She said she just had to chuckle thinking about how many would sit there pressing the temp control at the TV wondering why it would not cooperate. (little does she know how many times we were called telling us the batteries were dead or the TV did not work)

I have heard complaints about other B&Bs - not more than a few times per year. The most frequent one has been about cleanliness. Usually it's said in the context of -'our room was so clean, we've stayed at other places where it hasn't been.' I have had a specific B&B mentioned to me more than once about the lack of cleanliness - it's not a place near me and I don't refer people to it.

I hear comments about other B&B's that were not BAD B&B's per se, but had curfews and rules up all over the place. The guests felt like pork chops at a Jewish wedding. Inmates of the establishment (not INNmates, just to clarify)
One guest said they arrived back at the B&B and saw an evening refreshment out for guests and went to get some and there was a flash and the innkeeper grabbed it off the table and zipped off with it. Refreshments ended ON THE DOT.

Overall I hear great stories and the occasional "old biddy" of an innkeeper tale. "Sit up straight at the table" "Eat your veggies!" type stuff.
I have of late heard a lot of tales of restoration work. Are innkeepers sharing more of this labor of love with their guests or maybe seeing it being done at the inn?

Overall I hear great stories and the occasional "old biddy" of an innkeeper tale. "Sit up straight at the table" "Eat your veggies!" type stuff.
I have of late heard a lot of tales of restoration work. Are innkeepers sharing more of this labor of love with their guests or maybe seeing it being done at the inn?.
We definitely share reno work, done and planned with guests. Most want to know if we did all the reno work or if we had to do a lot of reno work, so we tell them what we've done. A lot of guests ask for the color we used on the cabinets. What kind of floors are in the dining room, etc?

Most of our guests are first-timers. The guests who have visited a B&B before compare what we've done with others and only comment on the differences...nothing derogatory.

Guests like that sort of thing. (Reno slave labor etc via the innkeepers) :OL

The only complaints I've heard from guests are about the other B&B in town. One guest actually called me while staying at that B&B! I listen but NEVER comment. I'm just happy they choose to come back to me.

The only complaints I've heard from guests are about the other B&B in town. One guest actually called me while staying at that B&B! I listen but NEVER comment. I'm just happy they choose to come back to me..
Country Girl said:
The only complaints I've heard from guests are about the other B&B in town. One guest actually called me while staying at that B&B! I listen but NEVER comment. I'm just happy they choose to come back to me.
I just had one two weeks ago from one of our local hotels. They left it after their first night of a three-night stay and came to us instead. They mentioned spiders. I said - "well, I can't guarantee you won't see a spider on our back porch here" and they said 'here we outnumbered 100 to 1.' Eeek. Another place apparently has a problem with stink bugs, so much so that they've put signs in all the rooms. Knock on wood, we get an occasional one but not a swarm.

The only complaints I've heard from guests are about the other B&B in town. One guest actually called me while staying at that B&B! I listen but NEVER comment. I'm just happy they choose to come back to me..
Country Girl said:
I just had one two weeks ago from one of our local hotels. They left it after their first night of a three-night stay and came to us instead. They mentioned spiders. I said - "well, I can't guarantee you won't see a spider on our back porch here" and they said 'here we outnumbered 100 to 1.' Eeek. Another place apparently has a problem with stink bugs, so much so that they've put signs in all the rooms. Knock on wood, we get an occasional one but not a swarm.
We always say the awful places make people book properly and book early for next year lol. It is like a training aid as it makes them learn how to do their homework for the rest of their lives!

Country Girl said:
We are in orchard country and the stinkbugs are going to be EPIC this year. It's a major problem, not just for unsightliness for guests but it is too late in the growing season for insecticides to be used without harming the fruit, and the bugs eat the apples.
They and the asian beetles were terrible last year, I am dreading the hatch that should be happening any day now...

Country Girl said:
We are in orchard country and the stinkbugs are going to be EPIC this year. It's a major problem, not just for unsightliness for guests but it is too late in the growing season for insecticides to be used without harming the fruit, and the bugs eat the apples.
They and the asian beetles were terrible last year, I am dreading the hatch that should be happening any day now...
Don Draper said:
The stinkbugs are a problem now in Virginia vineyards. We didn't have a problem but it's something that VA Tech's Viticulture experts are studying and giving classes about - I think it's more of a problem in the Northern part of the state but am not sure
Riki

Country Girl said:
Don Draper said:
The stinkbugs are a problem now in Virginia vineyards. We didn't have a problem but it's something that VA Tech's Viticulture experts are studying and giving classes about - I think it's more of a problem in the Northern part of the state but am not sure
Riki
Up in NOVA, Leesburg area, D.C. they say they are really bad this year. THere was a story on the news last night about them :-( So far here...nothing...but loads of butterflies...more than I remember in the past. Another thing I notice is we have barely no nuts on our hickory trees and black walnuts. So...maybe that means a mild winter...hope so. Last year they were loaded!

Stink bugs are out and if I recall it was the VA TECH Ag that brought them in due to the Asian beetles. We have them both and if guests complain there is nothing we can do, they are never all in one spot to eliminate them.

We get both here every year....but moslty in the spring, and mostly upstairs. The new Pella windows that we installed upstairs really cut down on them, but did not eliminate them altogether.

Most of the complaints I have been hearing lately about other places have been about another stabling facility. One recent guest referred to the experience as "unique", another told me she has spider bites all over and can show them to me (she called back an hour later and booked 2 more stays before she even stayed here). Others told me it had no room to turn around. I absolutely love that place! It has given me at least 5 or 6 new guests and some have been repeat stays.
I have been told of inns that had "curfews" as guests ask what time they have to be in by. My response? Well, you look like adults so whenever you get back is fine.
One guest actually gave me a review that said my place was spotless. I almost snorted coffee on my monitor at that one. I am clean but doubt if any here who knows me would EVER say my place was spotless.

Most of the complaints I have been hearing lately about other places have been about another stabling facility. One recent guest referred to the experience as "unique", another told me she has spider bites all over and can show them to me (she called back an hour later and booked 2 more stays before she even stayed here). Others told me it had no room to turn around. I absolutely love that place! It has given me at least 5 or 6 new guests and some have been repeat stays.
I have been told of inns that had "curfews" as guests ask what time they have to be in by. My response? Well, you look like adults so whenever you get back is fine.
One guest actually gave me a review that said my place was spotless. I almost snorted coffee on my monitor at that one. I am clean but doubt if any here who knows me would EVER say my place was spotless..
gillumhouse said:
We have a nearby inn that has a serious curfew, so that makes people ask us about it. Our (honest) response is "You look like a grownup and we think we can trust you to be quiet when you come in, and we KNOW we don't want to wait up to see what time you come in..." I don't understand the whole curfew thing. I have to get up plenty early....why on earth would I want to wait up to find out what time my guests get home??
Anybody out there have a curfew?? What's your reasoning? I'm sure there's a good reason that I just haven't thought of.

There may be inns who have perimeter lights that go OFF at a certain hour, or like our guests who turn OFF the porch light so guests can stumble and break a leg...
Many inns LOCK UP at a certain hour.
I don't mind anyone coming in whenever they choose, just not checking in the next day...ie 4am in the morning. In fact I love it when guests are out and having fun, the later the better! Some guests last night came in after midnight, they were respectful enough. :)

Back