If you had just made a glorious fresh fruit salad and no one came to eat it, would you be inclined to :

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing goes to waste here. Even the dog would eat it..
SweetiePie said:
Nothing goes to waste here. Even the dog would eat it.
I used to feed the guest left overs to the dog. Unfortunately the poor thing passed away last spring. Hopefully not of gout....but seriously, the vet said that too much people food was too hard on him and led to weight gain and a suspected early demise.
I still would like to keep a pig. That seems like a perfect solution.

SweetiePie said:
Nothing goes to waste here. Even the dog would eat it.
I used to feed the guest left overs to the dog. Unfortunately the poor thing passed away last spring. Hopefully not of gout....but seriously, the vet said that too much people food was too hard on him and led to weight gain and a suspected early demise.
I still would like to keep a pig. That seems like a perfect solution.
We don't have enough leftovers to cause that problem. Maybe the whole country is on a diet and we just didn't get the memo.

We're getting our five servings a day ourselves and am very pleasantly surprised at how many kinds of fruit the new puppy loves.
She also LOVES the little carrots that are leftover from the afternoon snack plates.
Should have offered this question earlier but do folks make individual fruit cups or one big bowl and serve from that?
Ours are made individually and that cuts down on waste to begin with and makes for a very pretty presentation at the table.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Should have offered this question earlier but do folks make individual fruit cups or one big bowl and serve from that?
All food is plated in the kitchen out of guest sight. Fruit salad, in this case would be presented in small, colorful, japanese style bowls and garnished with a fresh mint sprig from the garden and served individually.
That sounds quite interesting! I went with square, stark white dishes as I thought the fruit/starter looked better in that than the clear bowls I used to have.

I single serve the fruit (and have a large collection of parfait dishes to pick from) and then family style the entree and side meat. That way their fruit looks gorgeous when they come down for breakfast. If I plan it right, there's not a lot of waste, although we do send some to compost. The rest is family style so that there is no waste.
=)
Kk.

We're getting our five servings a day ourselves and am very pleasantly surprised at how many kinds of fruit the new puppy loves.
She also LOVES the little carrots that are leftover from the afternoon snack plates.
Ours are made individually and that cuts down on waste to begin with and makes for a very pretty presentation at the table.
Single servings of fruit in various types of serving dishes. I sometimes use Martini glasses :)
My dh loves fresh fruit. Now that it's Summer, I'll be making small smoothies as starters sometimes too. (Wow, that was alliterative! haha!)

Single servings of fruit in various types of serving dishes. I sometimes use Martini glasses :)
My dh loves fresh fruit. Now that it's Summer, I'll be making small smoothies as starters sometimes too. (Wow, that was alliterative! haha!)
I just got local strawberries today. The guests will be lucky if there are any left!
How do you do smoothies early in the morning? I'm thinking of the racket the blender makes (my blender) and how close the guest rooms are to the kitchen!

I just got local strawberries today. The guests will be lucky if there are any left!
How do you do smoothies early in the morning? I'm thinking of the racket the blender makes (my blender) and how close the guest rooms are to the kitchen!
Noise doesn't travel from our kitchen to the guest rooms. I just make small ones...I use little port glasses and the like
tounge_smile.gif
Just a little taste....

Noise doesn't travel from our kitchen to the guest rooms. I just make small ones...I use little port glasses and the like
tounge_smile.gif
Just a little taste....
I could probably make them up in my kitchen. How long do you think it would take for it to separate after blending?

tounge_smile.gif
Just a little taste....
I could probably make them up in my kitchen. How long do you think it would take for it to separate after blending?
hmmmm...not sure. I use my little personal smoothie blender and it makes about 6-8 small servings. I pop it into the fridge and then give it a quick spin before pouring.

I am awaiting the outcome Farmer's Daughter.
Did you mention what kind of fruit? And if you had the same guests day two of this or diff guests where you could slide the fruit into a yoghurt parfait?
I had a cancellation yesterday for a 4 day stay and I am overflowing with fruit as well, ready to eat fruit. So I have mucho gusto for the guests this morning! Hope they like all the fruit!

Did you mention what kind of fruit? And if you had the same guests day two of this or diff guests where you could slide the fruit into a yoghurt parfait?
I had a cancellation yesterday for a 4 day stay and I am overflowing with fruit as well, ready to eat fruit. So I have mucho gusto for the guests this morning! Hope they like all the fruit!.
Joe Bloggs said:
I had a cancellation yesterday for a 4 day stay and I am overflowing with fruit as well, ready to eat fruit. So I have mucho gusto for the guests this morning! Hope they like all the fruit!
I determined it to be equally glorious the 2nd day so I did serve it. We had all new people, so they were none the wiser. The FS consisted of cantelope, honeydew, mango, fresh pineapple, red grapes, green grapes and fresh blueberries. I tend to avoid things that get squishy or brown quickly. No bananas, strawberries or kiwi for me. Many folks are allergic to kiwi and strawberries, so I tend to avoid them anyway. There was a little left and I ate that....(grin).

I had a cancellation yesterday for a 4 day stay and I am overflowing with fruit as well, ready to eat fruit. So I have mucho gusto for the guests this morning! Hope they like all the fruit!.
Joe Bloggs said:
I determined it to be equally glorious the 2nd day so I did serve it. We had all new people, so they were none the wiser. The FS consisted of cantelope, honeydew, mango, fresh pineapple, red grapes, green grapes and fresh blueberries. I tend to avoid things that get squishy or brown quickly. No bananas, strawberries or kiwi for me. Many folks are allergic to kiwi and strawberries, so I tend to avoid them anyway. There was a little left and I ate that....(grin).
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Too funny, on the plates currently at our table right now are omeletts and rosemary potatoes, the garnish is a huge strawberry fan and a kiwi. I use them all the time and have never in 6 years had anyone allergic. I know there are plenty who are allergic, just like peanuts. My whole repertoire has strawberries in season!
In fact I just commented in the kitchen aloud, where do you go out to eat and get a strawberry let alone a kiwi on your breakfast plate (oither than a BnB)?
BTW I think your fruit salad sound delicious and would have melded together nicely for today, that is what I would have done. Kept is fresh and served it up day two.

Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Yikes! strawberrys, bannanas and kiwi! We serve those a lot! It's usually more of a garnish. Most of our fruit dishes are parfaits or cobblers because these can be prepared and served on an individual basis.....little waste.

Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Yikes! strawberrys, bannanas and kiwi! We serve those a lot! It's usually more of a garnish. Most of our fruit dishes are parfaits or cobblers because these can be prepared and served on an individual basis.....little waste.
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't serve bananas that often really - unless I make banana bread for afternoon check in, but I did serve them yesterday as long pieces tossed on top of some blueberry pancakes. I feel I can't prep them or they turn brown so I cut them right as I am about to serve them.

I had peach yogurt with peach slices and granola this morning. Good use for some peaches that might be leftover. But it would work for just about anything that you can put into yogurt.

What I do with leftover peaches is this.
peel and slice peaches, toss in bowl with sugar and a bit of cinnamon to taste.
butter a 5 x 1 inch ramekin
lay peach slices in ramekin
cover with a generous handful of Post Raisin, Date and Pecan Select cereal
melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup per ramekin in a pan - pour overtop the cereal
Bake @ 325 for 1 hour
Voila - fast and easy peach crisp.

I had peach yogurt with peach slices and granola this morning. Good use for some peaches that might be leftover. But it would work for just about anything that you can put into yogurt.
Bree said:
STOP! You are all scaring me! That was the starter today, granola with peach yoplait and chopped fresh peaches and a dollop of cream. They were not leftover peaches, but they ripen so fast you have to use them or lose them! I only buy a couple at a time.

Bree said:
STOP! You are all scaring me! That was the starter today, granola with peach yoplait and chopped fresh peaches and a dollop of cream. They were not leftover peaches, but they ripen so fast you have to use them or lose them! I only buy a couple at a time.
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Hee Hee I did Vanilla yoghurt, granola, kiwi, apples and strawberries in a parfait today. I love it and serve it every weekend. I also eat it for lunch in the office. Eating it right now.
Riki

Our plates have the same garnish every day, DH's sweet little fruit course: two slices of cantelope that form a "cup" for the rest of the fruit to rest on...orange, kiwi, banana, grapes, and strawberries or blueberries. It's too cute, and man he can cut that cantelope with military precision...you could just about read the paper through it!!! When I have to prep the fruit we go through a LOT more cantelope...I don't have his knife skills.

Bree said:
Unfortunately, these peaches were not quite ripe so I had to use a jar of peaches instead. But, now I have another peach for later on in the week when it should be ripe. I didn't add any whipped cream, altho I wanted to, because these are conscientious breakfast eaters (which is why the yogurt and granola which I've never served before). Oh, and I topped it with a big, juicy local strawberry.
We're going to have to do this more often. Usually, hubs would have used an entire jar of peaches for these 4 guests- way too expensive. Adding the yogurt (50 cents) and the granola (30 cents) made it so much less. And had the peaches been ripe, even less.

Back