If you hate to do it hire it done

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
We took a class before we opened and she told us if you really hate to do it hire it done. I don't mind doing anything but I hate to pull weeds. My yard was out of control so I hired it done. He is part way done and I am dancing in the street. It looks awesome and he is great. I just did other things that I needed to do. It was a weight off my sholders. I feel so free.
My health inspector came today and had nothing but great things to say. So all in all I had the best day.

Congratulations! -
cheers.gif

Wonderful! My yard boy is now back in school AND in football practice. I do not want to fire him, but I will be glad when he graduates - then we will hire a lawn service.

The weeds are THE best thing to hire out. FREEDOM! Money well spent.
Congrats on the inspection!

Excellent advice. I'd be dancing, too, if someone came to pull weeds here!

My mum does mine ! (she is bonkers by the way).
Bonkers here, too - I love to pull those weed. But it's so cheap, that's one thing I can afford to hire out and do more expensive things on my own.
The lawn - ugh! - another reason to hire out. CHEAPER to pay the man who does it than to buy the equipment. I had to sell DH on that (because he likes to cut grass like I like to pull weeds!), but I pointed out this summer - the grass has been cut ONCE (and we only paid once) because of the drought, and if we'd purchased all the equipment, we'd still be paying while it sat and collected dust.

We have 72 acres (mostly wooded) In the beginning, I used to spend days each week just mowing and edging and weeding on top of my other B&B duties. Equipment was constantly breaking down and needing repair. I was exhausted and because of my age concerned about potential injury that would basically put an end to our business. In short, I was growing to hate our business and its idyllic setting with each passing day.
Fast forward: We now have a grounds crew that can do EVERYTHING. I love them so much I want to adopt them. It is worth every single penny we pay them the get things done in a timely proper fashion so our property stays immaculate at all times. On top of that, they use their own equipment. I now enjoy living in the woods.

You broke the code! If you can find someone reliable to do the work you don't like, hire them!!
It's difficult to meet that reliable requirement here.......

Ive started tidying up my front garden as most of my scaffolding is down now with the rest comming down today! as with all jobs there is all little bits of fiber glass stuff and bits of wood etc all over. The window people and roof people did an ok job clearing up but they never do it to B&B standard. Want to get hold of my window cleaners as well today as they come first week of the month but we told them not to bother in august due to new windows however the rain has made muck bounce upwards off the scaffolding planks and onto the windows so look really dirty. We have done all the inside but really want the outside doing now asap.

It is really hard to find help in my area and when you do, it's typically very expensive. This year I did a craigs list post for someone to do easy yard maintenance. I couldn't believe I got 4 responses (I live in a tiny area). I'm only paying $10 an hour and the young man (21) is very dependable, so now I have him doing a couple handyman things too.
It was a great solution for us!

So you are "hiring" them? that is paying taxes,etc?.
We 'hire' a housekeeper. Everyone else is an independent contractor. They come with their own equip, on their own time, and do the work without guidance from us.
And my housekeeper just got a 'real' job so we are back to working on our own. Luckily, we only have another 2 months of 'in season'.
I'm going to work her little fingers to the bone this weekend getting everything spotless! (Using my tools, my guidance and on my schedule she is an employee and we pay all taxes and workers comp, etc.) The extra couple thou/month will be nice in MY pocket!

The gardening is independent contractor. If we hired someone to work inside with set hours and responsibilities, I would have them register with the local temp agency so they can take care of the taxes, worksman's comp., etc. I don't want to be an employer.

We 'hire' a housekeeper. Everyone else is an independent contractor. They come with their own equip, on their own time, and do the work without guidance from us.
And my housekeeper just got a 'real' job so we are back to working on our own. Luckily, we only have another 2 months of 'in season'.
I'm going to work her little fingers to the bone this weekend getting everything spotless! (Using my tools, my guidance and on my schedule she is an employee and we pay all taxes and workers comp, etc.) The extra couple thou/month will be nice in MY pocket!
we have a bit of a weird system in the UK where if you employ someone and it is their only jon and they do 16 hours or less you don't have to pay any tax or national insurance, this is why most people have 2 house keepers (usually moms fitting in with the school hours) and it keeps them under the 16 hours. It works out for the mums to as peak housekeeping hours are 10am-2-30 which means they can drop off kids work then pick up kids everyone is happy.

The gardening is independent contractor. If we hired someone to work inside with set hours and responsibilities, I would have them register with the local temp agency so they can take care of the taxes, worksman's comp., etc. I don't want to be an employer.
Our gardener has her own business and takes care of several clients so like our innsitters who pinch hit for us we don't have to worry about taxes and such.
RIki

It is really hard to find help in my area and when you do, it's typically very expensive. This year I did a craigs list post for someone to do easy yard maintenance. I couldn't believe I got 4 responses (I live in a tiny area). I'm only paying $10 an hour and the young man (21) is very dependable, so now I have him doing a couple handyman things too.
It was a great solution for us!.
Im lucky as with the EU we have had an influx of people from Lithuania, Spain and Poland. Some object to this but I don't as they work twice as hard as the Brits and pay tax and national insurance just like anyone else. Plus if you have learnt an entirely new language and moved to a whole new country you tend to be quite highly motivated. My chamber maid is Lithanian and knows everyone (literally) who is useful in Harrogate so acts as a sort of employment agency ie someone needs a chamber maid - they tell me- I tell laima and she sends everyone who is looking round - job filled in 3 days. Also she won't recommend anyone who she doesn't personally approve of and she is really strict so you know they are ok. Ive finally cracked on the CCTV front and am going to have 2 cameras put in by one of her contacts - 1 over the car park and one facing the front door. see how it goes.

Back