If you have dogs at your B&B.........

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishany

Reaction score
We thought our two (smooth coated saints) would be a biiiiggg disadvantage. We even put up doors to keep the dogs out of the guest areas.
When guests arrive at the door, I ask them if the would like a tour or if they would like to go directly to their room. They say "no, we want to see the saints". They seem to be at home when they meet the saints.
Most guests love them. But some, are very, very afraid.
I think we had ALOT of people who were afraid of BIG dogs before they met these two. And that really warms my heart. The dogs were alot bigger than most of the ladies who stayed here!! And, the guys, come to think of it.
They are not afraid of big dogs anymore. I think that's awesome.
When they leave, they want a picture of them with the dogs.

I have never heard of a smooth coated Saint (Benard I guess?) I have always loved those dogs. Nice to hear they are well received as I have two labs, a black and a yellow and am looking to buy a B&B. The only problem (ok, not only
wink_smile.gif
problem) is that the black, age two is still a little insane!
Good luck with yours

I really don't know how you do it.
We ended up giving our bassett hound, who we loved dearly to a guest who fell in love with her. She gave us 3 mos. to think about it but after all the shedding she did around the house, we knew it was the best thing. She now lives 6 hrs. away.
Years ago we did have a St. Bernard, aren't they wonderful? Do you keep them inside trishany? Do they shed.
Even though our bassett hound was never near the guest rooms, little hairs seemed to pick up on everything including sheets. I was constantly vacuuming everything in site.
How do you manage, really.

I have a yellow lab whose favorite pass time is meeting people. Our guest suites both have separate entrances and the dog is not allowed at all in one (keeping it as allergy free as possible) but I do accept pets in the other one, so he has been known to visit on occasion. We now keep him inside our quarters when guests are arriving and they only know about him if they have taken the time to read our website or the literature in the guest rooms. If they want to meet him, they ask. If not, they never see him.
Funny (in an odd way) though, a couple of times when we first opened, he happened be on our outside deck at check-in time and he barked at guests who absolutely did not like dogs! After that happened, we make sure he is always inside.

We ended up giving our bassett hound, who we loved dearly to a guest who fell in love with her. She gave us 3 mos. to think about it but after all the shedding she did around the house, we knew it was the best thing. She now lives 6 hrs. away.
Years ago we did have a St. Bernard, aren't they wonderful? Do you keep them inside trishany? Do they shed.
Even though our bassett hound was never near the guest rooms, little hairs seemed to pick up on everything including sheets. I was constantly vacuuming everything in site.
How do you manage, really..
You know, I think long haired dogs are easier than short haired. Their hair is easier to clean up. We have a Russian Wolfhound, and since we built new he has the run of our upstairs apartment and down the stairs to the full basement. We only let him into the common area if people want to pet him. Our rooms are separate. But just in case the guests pet him we have a roller brush in their closet with the iron. And the roller cleans up not only them but we can bring it out while turning the rooms in case we see any hairs that came in with them.
Riki

I have two Golden Retrievers and they are both big babies. I keep them in the family room when we have guests unless the guest request to let them out. The dogs are not allowed upstairs where the guest rooms are so hair upstairs usually isn't a problem. But Goldens do shed terribly. My oldes and the biggest shedder absolutely LOVES to be vacuumed so that helps alot.
I said they are babies and when a guest arrives they cry and cry until the guests just can't resist and have to pet them (over the baby gate). They have a way of melting folks hearts. thats for sure!

How do you manage, really..
knowles, when we decided on opening the B&B, we were like "okay, what are we going to do about the dogs". I didn't think it would be a good outcome, but we gave it a try. We installed two doors which keeps the dogs away from the guest areas. I still had my doubts (barking, etc).
These two turned out to be the major draw of our guests. amazing. The dogs got used to the guests coming and going. I think that's because the guests wanted to meet them when they arrived, so the dogs knew that this was a friendly atmosphere.
At breakfast, they sit with us and wait for the leftovers. They are just the best dogs in the world -- calm, big, friendly and beautiful.

I have never heard of a smooth coated Saint (Benard I guess?) I have always loved those dogs. Nice to hear they are well received as I have two labs, a black and a yellow and am looking to buy a B&B. The only problem (ok, not only
wink_smile.gif
problem) is that the black, age two is still a little insane!
Good luck with yours.
newinnlove - Smooth coated just means short coats -- but they shed just as much as any dog.
Our Daisy is insane -- just happy-go-lucky, nothing bothers her. Loves, loves meeting the guests.
You just have to make sure that your labs have no access to the guests.
If our guests wants to meet them, then we bring them to the backyard, and introduce them. I LOVE watching the guests' faces!. Most are bewildered by these two, huge, gentle, beautiful animals.
We get hugs from all the couples leaving........BUT, they all want a picture of them with the saints. unbelievable.

I have two Golden Retrievers and they are both big babies. I keep them in the family room when we have guests unless the guest request to let them out. The dogs are not allowed upstairs where the guest rooms are so hair upstairs usually isn't a problem. But Goldens do shed terribly. My oldes and the biggest shedder absolutely LOVES to be vacuumed so that helps alot.
I said they are babies and when a guest arrives they cry and cry until the guests just can't resist and have to pet them (over the baby gate). They have a way of melting folks hearts. thats for sure!.
Hi Sunshine!
I have a black Lab, and she sheds terribly. DH doesn't like to let her in the house because of it, black hair everywhere! We don't let her in any guest areas....and we still find her hair out there! I know most of the guests would love to have her around though, she's a lovey! Only had one guest that was truly afraid of dogs, so we kept her in her yard...She has about a 1/4 acre to herself...
How often do you vaccuum the dog? Does it help a lot? Which attachment works best? I want her to be able to snuggle up by the couch with me, but we all hate cleaning up the hair!
WP

I said they are babies and when a guest arrives they cry and cry until the guests just can't resist and have to pet them (over the baby gate). They have a way of melting folks hearts. thats for sure!.
Hi Sunshine!
I have a black Lab, and she sheds terribly. DH doesn't like to let her in the house because of it, black hair everywhere! We don't let her in any guest areas....and we still find her hair out there! I know most of the guests would love to have her around though, she's a lovey! Only had one guest that was truly afraid of dogs, so we kept her in her yard...She has about a 1/4 acre to herself...
How often do you vaccuum the dog? Does it help a lot? Which attachment works best? I want her to be able to snuggle up by the couch with me, but we all hate cleaning up the hair!
WP
Willowpondgj said:
Hi Sunshine!
WP
I have heard that dispite their short hair labs do shed a lot. I use the regular vacuum hose on her, and sometimes the attachment that is meant for curtians with the little brush on it. I also have found that using the "furminator" really does help. Its a special comb that I got from the pet store. It REALLY takes a ton of shedding hair off. and I mean a ton! I easily fill up a grocery bag or two full of hair each time from just one dog! You might try that too. It doesn't make them stop shedding but it does help with less hair around the house. It really is called the Furminator.
My babies are not allowed in the guest bedrooms. Although today I was up there cleaning the bath in one of the rooms and my little baby (50lbs) came right up and hopped in the tub and sat down! I shewed her out and the next thing I know she was right back in the tub! I think she was trying to tell me she wanted a bath! :) LOL! she does like baths.
Good luck with the hair thing.

I totally agree with the Furminator suggestion. Any dog owner who doesn't haven't one should run to your local petstore and pick one up ASAP. I have two large Pomeranians who sheds year round. With the fur I collect, I can spin it into yarn and make a pair of gloves a month.
This tool definitely works (watch the videos on the website). If you do use it, make sure you do it outside!
http://www.furminator.com/

I totally agree with the Furminator suggestion. Any dog owner who doesn't haven't one should run to your local petstore and pick one up ASAP. I have two large Pomeranians who sheds year round. With the fur I collect, I can spin it into yarn and make a pair of gloves a month.
This tool definitely works (watch the videos on the website). If you do use it, make sure you do it outside!
http://www.furminator.com/.
I'll have to go get one, even though Sasha hates being combed, spoiled brat!
Riki

Back