"I'll just have pancakes and bacon."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We tell guests what's for breakfast, we don't ask. This morning, 4 guests traveling together but not eating at the same time did this:
I go to the table to make sure everyone is eating. (Euros don't always eat, why waste the cook's time!) They know what's for breakfast because we've told them.
I get, "I'll just have a pancake and bacon, no sausage or eggs." So I explain there's a biscuit that comes with the eggs, but no pancakes. No bacon. OK, she'll have the biscuit. Later on, same table, the last of them shows up. He walks right over to the kitchen and says, "I'll have 2 eggs, over easy, and a side of bacon." Sigh. I say, 'Scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuit, that's what we're having today.
Why they think they just walk over and tell us what they're having when we've already explained how breakfast works is beyond me. If nothing else they can see the other guests eating the same thing. And there's the morning menu, posted right by the coffee. Like Cambs said the other day, we don't post it just to tell you we don't have it. We post it so you know what we have.
I don't mind if they just want toast. But it's not a restaurant. And it's not even a big kitchen!

They could eaten here this morning and had Bill's pecan pancakes, and the other Bill's bacon, and the third Bill's eggs. Was their name Bill?

we sometimes get "oh we won't have black pudding" nope cos we don't serve it!

I never tell them ahead of time what is for breakfast, we always tell them that we don't yet know, we will decide in the morning. My reputation preceeds me a bit here, so they know that it's something different each day and they enjoy the surprise and guessing based on the smells in the house. We will gladly supply a special order breakfast for the reasonable fee of $50, we need to know ahead of time so that we can go shopping for provisions and items that may be out of season and difficult to get. I haven't yet had someone pull out the $50! And if they don't like what is being served today, there are plenty of other choices in the dining room... have some cereal, some oatmeal, some bagel or bread and there's the toaster and, hot water and milk.
Today, I served pecan french toast with butter pecans and maple butter pecan syrup. I obviously underestimated a sweet tooth today, the first two guests used up all the maple butter pecan syrup (there was a stick of butter in there!).... the next guests had just plain maple syrup.
But to be honest, I've also never served scrambled eggs, sausage or a biscuit. I've never made a biscuit and I don't think I have ever cooked sausage in the morning. Damn... maybe I'm limiting myself. I'm going to have to come up with something that uses sausage. Okay... how do you make sausage? How do you make biscuits? What do you do with a biscuit? Do they go hard quickly like bagette or do they store easily? And the only sausage I usually see around here is the kind you eat for lunch or dinner with things like pesto or goat cheese in them.

I never tell them ahead of time what is for breakfast, we always tell them that we don't yet know, we will decide in the morning. My reputation preceeds me a bit here, so they know that it's something different each day and they enjoy the surprise and guessing based on the smells in the house. We will gladly supply a special order breakfast for the reasonable fee of $50, we need to know ahead of time so that we can go shopping for provisions and items that may be out of season and difficult to get. I haven't yet had someone pull out the $50! And if they don't like what is being served today, there are plenty of other choices in the dining room... have some cereal, some oatmeal, some bagel or bread and there's the toaster and, hot water and milk.
Today, I served pecan french toast with butter pecans and maple butter pecan syrup. I obviously underestimated a sweet tooth today, the first two guests used up all the maple butter pecan syrup (there was a stick of butter in there!).... the next guests had just plain maple syrup.
But to be honest, I've also never served scrambled eggs, sausage or a biscuit. I've never made a biscuit and I don't think I have ever cooked sausage in the morning. Damn... maybe I'm limiting myself. I'm going to have to come up with something that uses sausage. Okay... how do you make sausage? How do you make biscuits? What do you do with a biscuit? Do they go hard quickly like bagette or do they store easily? And the only sausage I usually see around here is the kind you eat for lunch or dinner with things like pesto or goat cheese in them..
Didn't I give you a biscuit recipe a while ago? :) See this video: http://youtu.be/xDPG52oTWno
Sausage, you buy them premade...fry them in a pan and you are done.
Look here: http://jimmydean.com/default.aspx

But to be honest, I've also never served scrambled eggs, sausage or a biscuit. I've never made a biscuit and I don't think I have ever cooked sausage in the morning. Damn... maybe I'm limiting myself. I'm going to have to come up with something that uses sausage. Okay... how do you make sausage? How do you make biscuits? What do you do with a biscuit? Do they go hard quickly like bagette or do they store easily? And the only sausage I usually see around here is the kind you eat for lunch or dinner with things like pesto or goat cheese in them..
Didn't I give you a biscuit recipe a while ago? :) See this video: http://youtu.be/xDPG52oTWno
Who's Jimmy Dean?
Closest thing I have seen around here is this brand. They run about 50c a sausage
6354410506.jpg

We are more likely to see these on our shelves.... and at over $3 per sausage, I'll be damned before I serve them to guests.
V11130.jpg

Or these.... at over $1 a piece....
V31025.jpg

Okay, but what do I do with a biscuit. I saw the recipe earlier. You are talking to someone who is from bagel, bread, brioche and baguette territory. I'm more likely to know what to do with a scone or English muffin then a biscuit.

Who's Jimmy Dean?
Closest thing I have seen around here is this brand. They run about 50c a sausage
6354410506.jpg

We are more likely to see these on our shelves.... and at over $3 per sausage, I'll be damned before I serve them to guests.
V11130.jpg

V31025.jpg

Okay, but what do I do with a biscuit. I saw the recipe earlier. You are talking to someone who is from bagel, bread, brioche and baguette territory. I'm more likely to know what to do with a scone or English muffin then a biscuit.
You should stick to what guests expect in your area. If you don't know what sausage for breakfast is, no one is expecting it. If biscuits are foreign, don't serve them.
Jimmy Dean was a popular C&W singer in the US. He was also an actor, TV personality and businessman who died last year.

Who's Jimmy Dean?
6354410506.jpg

V11130.jpg

V31025.jpg

Just broading your horizons here :)
I just used the Jimmy Dean sausage as an example. We have lots of different brands.
But if no one ever expects them, don't bother. As far as biscuits, you can use them in place of rolls with breakfast of a dinner for that matter. Biscuits are in the same territory as scones. You can put in herbs, cheese etc to give different flavor. If served plain, people usually put butter and/ or honey on them or some sort of jam.

Because this happens frequently enough, tomorrow I try something different. Go to the table with the starter and repeat what we told them was for breakfast. Then ask if they would like sausage with that. Or, tomorrow, bacon.

I rarely say what is for breakfast tomorrow - cooks choice. And here the choice is eat what I have served or nothing because I do not have cereal or anything else (they can go to their room and eat apples, bananas, and/or Hersey's kisses that each room has).
This morning I had 2 rooms eating at 8 and 1 at 10, I made a pan of baked pineapple toast for the first group and since there was a big enough time span for them to be done and out of the way, I made the egg bake and English muffin bread for the 10 am. They are from nearby and here for a getaway and I wanted to impress them with the bread - but not enough to do a loaf of bread each for 6 people (4 of whom will probably never return). All had the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Tomorrow everyone gets Baked Oatmeal. We are slated to be greeters at Church so it needs to be something easy and quick.

I rarely say what is for breakfast tomorrow - cooks choice. And here the choice is eat what I have served or nothing because I do not have cereal or anything else (they can go to their room and eat apples, bananas, and/or Hersey's kisses that each room has).
This morning I had 2 rooms eating at 8 and 1 at 10, I made a pan of baked pineapple toast for the first group and since there was a big enough time span for them to be done and out of the way, I made the egg bake and English muffin bread for the 10 am. They are from nearby and here for a getaway and I wanted to impress them with the bread - but not enough to do a loaf of bread each for 6 people (4 of whom will probably never return). All had the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Tomorrow everyone gets Baked Oatmeal. We are slated to be greeters at Church so it needs to be something easy and quick.
So, basically the guests sit and you bring them whatever you've made and they can eat it or not?

So, basically the guests sit and you bring them whatever you've made and they can eat it or not?
That is what we do here, too. We serve plated and they eat it or not.

Exactly. I serve family style so they can take as much or as little as they please. There is no alternate. I do make breakfast per whatever the needs of the day - no sugar or dairy-free, whatever - but that is the entree today. Period!

Mtatoc said:
Have you ever had anyone hand it back and say, 'I can't eat this'? Or do you get gracious people who make do? Even with cereal out in plain view, a nice fruit course and coffee, tea and juice all laid on, we still get the grumps who really do believe they can just say, 'I can't eat this,' and something else will magically appear.
Or, in the case of the people this morning, they just wanted what they wanted not what was being served to them. And, there's the kitchen, what's the problem???
We've always thought telling the guests what is coming would at least give us a head's up if someone forgot to tell us about an allergy. Sometimes it works that way and other times we get told as the plates are being put down.
We don't stock food. And we don't have the room to have a griddle and 4 pans going on the stove.
Sometimes I can't even do plain old toast!

Mtatoc said:
Have you ever had anyone hand it back and say, 'I can't eat this'? Or do you get gracious people who make do? Even with cereal out in plain view, a nice fruit course and coffee, tea and juice all laid on, we still get the grumps who really do believe they can just say, 'I can't eat this,' and something else will magically appear.
Or, in the case of the people this morning, they just wanted what they wanted not what was being served to them. And, there's the kitchen, what's the problem???
We've always thought telling the guests what is coming would at least give us a head's up if someone forgot to tell us about an allergy. Sometimes it works that way and other times we get told as the plates are being put down.
We don't stock food. And we don't have the room to have a griddle and 4 pans going on the stove.
Sometimes I can't even do plain old toast!
I once had a lady who just ate fruit and kind if just sat there. I asked if something was wrong. I had pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and blueberry bread pudding that morning. "I can't have cinnamon" was the reply. If she had TOLD me... I did make scrambled eggs for her (she was the only guest that day.
There is the fruit dish, muffins, OJ AND a non-ditric juice, and coffee or tea. Just toast is not usually even an option because I often have NOT baked bread so have none in the house. I guess I have always just had the gracious ones.

Madeleine said:
YOU GOT IT MADDIE!

Mtatoc said:
and as the saying goes "We can't wait for breakfast!!"
Plating is half of it, then serving fresh yummy food is the other half. Serve a great breakfast, people expect a great breakfast at a B&B.

I don't announce what's for breakfast. If asked the day before, say at check-in, I always tell them I don't know yet. I don't want to give them yet another opportunity to tell me what I should make for breakfast.
We do a 4 course breakfast (fruit, entree, homemade granola or oatmeal, muffin/scone/biscuit,etc), so if they don't like one of the courses, there's plenty more food they can eat. We deliver the breakfast outside their room, knock and run, so once that food leaves my kitchen, that's it! No substitutes.
Of course I still go through the hair pulling we all go through to find the 4 courses that fit all the different dietary restrictions, but fortunately I don't have to see them face to face when they view their breakfast and don't like what's on it.

Mtatoc said:
and as the saying goes "We can't wait for breakfast!!"
Plating is half of it, then serving fresh yummy food is the other half. Serve a great breakfast, people expect a great breakfast at a B&B.
Exactly! Almost every comment in the books upstairs mention the great breakfast - and of course the wonderful conversation!

Back