Illegal Downloads

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Heard of an innkeeper that received a "Network Abuse" notice from their ISP. Evidently one of their guests had utilized their WiFi service to illegally download a movie. The ISP told the innkeeper that they need to lock the WiFi or else they could be sued by the movie company. Has anyone heard of this? What would you do?

How can anyone, hotel, B&B, campground lock their WiFi when guests expect to be able to use it? That makes no sense but I am sure it's the opening shot across the bow of having to ID every computer that wants to use the WiFi.

rotten of a guest to take advantage this way!
i'm not a techie, but i know there are ways to block downloads or password protect downloading ... like bandwith management programs ...

i'm not a techie, but i know there are ways to block downloads or password protect downloading ... like bandwith management programs ....
seashanty said:
i'm not a techie, but i know there are ways to block downloads or password protect downloading ... like bandwith management programs ...
Something installed on the WiFi router? Not on the computer. I don't think our bandwidth is enough to download a song, but I do know that guests watch movies on their computers. I've always thought they brought movies with them. Duh. Somedays it is all too much to think about.

i'm not a techie, but i know there are ways to block downloads or password protect downloading ... like bandwith management programs ....
seashanty said:
Something installed on the WiFi router? Not on the computer. I don't think our bandwidth is enough to download a song, but I do know that guests watch movies on their computers. I've always thought they brought movies with them. Duh. Somedays it is all too much to think about.
Maybe they have Netflix. My son & his wife watch movies that way. I could too since he gave me his info - just do not have time.

Back