Iloveinns.com occupancy survey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is an excerpt from the newsletter sent out by iloveinns.com
B&B Occupancy January 1, 2009 through August 31, 2009

Thanks to the wonderful and sharing innkeepers who participated in last week's occupancy survey we have been able to capture a nationwide re-cap of B&B occupancy from the beginning of this year to the end of August. Overall numbers from 334 inn responses:

Average B&B Inn Occupancy 39.01%

The average occupancy is based on days that inns were open. If an inn was seasonally closed we did not count that against their occupancy rate.

Occupancy Rates & Room Count

1 to 4 37.23%

5 to 8 37.50%

9 to 15 40.10%

15 & above 48.36%

In a separate study with B&Bs and inns who are not iLoveInns.com members, the occupancy was 7% lower.

Overall, the bed and breakfast industry as shown by these numbers has only a 10% decrease in occupancy.

Additional discoveries show that inn counts above 10 overall have a larger occupancy rate. Also, in this study, unfortunately the Northeast seemed to show the lowest occupancy.

Room Count & Region Affects Occupancy

Room Count & Occupancy

1 to 4 37.23%
5 to 8 37.50%
9 to 15 40.10%
15 & above 48.36%

Regions & Occupancy
California 46.01%
West WA,OR,ID,MT,WY,BC 47.51%
Southwest AZ,UT,CO,NM,TX,NV 43.57%
ND,SD,NE,KS,OK,IA,MO,AR 37.34%
Midwest MN,WI,IL,IN,MI,OH 38.38%
South LA,MS,AL,GA,FL,SC,TN,KY,NC 39.56%
Mid Atlantic VA,WV,MD,DE,PA,NJ 40.58%
Northeast NY,CT,RI,MA,VT,NH,ME 32.89%

Coming Soon - Guest Survey

I think I read that they were clear that this was completely unscientific. As such, there are no constants and many undefined variables that make the information of very limited value. Antedotes can help you think, but using them to take an action....

Yes and not everyone asked completed the survey. I think it is a nice reminder to those who think we all get rich in this business though. Many on the forum have their inns for sale, prospective buyers gawk at a 40-60% occupancy rate. They need to look at the bottom line, the overall revenue and expenses, not just the occupancy rate.
Always good food for fodder.

Yes and not everyone asked completed the survey. I think it is a nice reminder to those who think we all get rich in this business though. Many on the forum have their inns for sale, prospective buyers gawk at a 40-60% occupancy rate. They need to look at the bottom line, the overall revenue and expenses, not just the occupancy rate.
Always good food for fodder..
yes sireeeeeee they need to be realistic. If someone tells you they are at 90% occupancy, they had better be able to show you the proof. Someone I know, just got taken BIG TIME!!! I feel sorry for them, but on the other hand..."due diligence" has to come first. Aspirings..DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!

Back