I'm a genius ( or I'm not and I just didn't know about this)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
Was talking with a guest about ironing (yuck, only good thing about it is getting my Netflix fix). I iron my pillowcases and shams but not my duvet covers. I was ambitious my first season and did them, now I'd be just plain crazy. She suggested I use linen water. Or make my own. Linen water, I say. What's that? So she tells me she uses it in a mister on her covers and then just smoothies itnout with her hands. She used essential oils in it. But I don't want any scent. So I googled it and discovered I could make some with an ounce of vodka to five ounces. And guess what? IT WORKS!!!!! I can't believe the difference. It honestly looks like they've been pressed. No fold lines
Hey, I guess I could claim vodka as an operating expense
wink_smile.gif

I stopped ironing about a year ago when I noticed no one said anything one way or the other. Huge waste of my time to get no accolades for it. I'm going to try the linen water. Thanks for the info!

I take the bedding out of the dryer right away so the wrinkling wasn't awful, but I found my duvets turned around and Mort said it was because people thought I hadn't changed the bedding. So, at least this is my last resort.

Terrific! I have sprayed and smoothed after laundering but the addition of the vodka ensures that the linens will dry quickly! Thanks for the tip.

Another way is to throw the wrinkled item(s) in the dryer with a couple ice cubes and start dryer….when the ice cubes stop making noise remove. Wrinkled free. It works on sheets, pillowcases, and dresses just fine.

I stopped ironing about a year ago when I noticed no one said anything one way or the other. Huge waste of my time to get no accolades for it. I'm going to try the linen water. Thanks for the info!.
Water and vodka in a spray bottle has been used for years by wardrobe departments in theater. The vodka not only helps with wrinkles, but also kills odors in fabric. And yes, we wrote it off our taxes!

I had a vodka martini and ignored the wrinkles..
Hey, the only vodka I had in the house was my precious Grey Goose. Yikes! Needless to say, I'm out to buy the cheap stuff today!
Speaking of martinis.......wino, lol, have you ever tried to infuse your vodka with pineapple? My son in law introduced me to this curse and it's the smoothest martini you'll ever have. Again and again.

I had a vodka martini and ignored the wrinkles..
Hey, the only vodka I had in the house was my precious Grey Goose. Yikes! Needless to say, I'm out to buy the cheap stuff today!
Speaking of martinis.......wino, lol, have you ever tried to infuse your vodka with pineapple? My son in law introduced me to this curse and it's the smoothest martini you'll ever have. Again and again.
sounds delightful.

So do I. Egyptian cotton, not sure of the thread count, but always has creases. I wash in cold, dry on the bedding cycle and take it out as soon as it's finished. Very careful when I fold, but still, bit honking wrinkles. But when I put my duvet cover on, I mist it with the vodka and water mixture and while it's damp, I pull on the edges of the bedding and tuck it in the foot board. Whatever wrinkles I still see, I smooth with the palms of my hands. Almost looks perfect. Now, there's no way anyone would think that anyone else has ever been in that bed before them!

Guess I'm odd but I have always loved ironing. It was one of my first jobs as a teenager though I admit I get frustrated with sheets. Not enough board and too much material. A linen spray sounds like it might help greatly and then maybe I only need to iron the very top of the sheet. Thank you.

Perfect timing on this post! I just joined Innspiring.com minutes ago and was setting up to iron my pillowcases and napkins. Thank you!
As for my sheets, unless someone is checking into a room immediately, I don't dry my sheets in the dryer. My front loading washer spins out most of the water so I remove the sheets and put them directly on the bed. The sheets dry quickly on the bed wrinkle free!
As a bonus the sheets smell fresher and it extends the life of my sheets by not putting them in the dryer. Win-win!

Perfect timing on this post! I just joined Innspiring.com minutes ago and was setting up to iron my pillowcases and napkins. Thank you!
As for my sheets, unless someone is checking into a room immediately, I don't dry my sheets in the dryer. My front loading washer spins out most of the water so I remove the sheets and put them directly on the bed. The sheets dry quickly on the bed wrinkle free!
As a bonus the sheets smell fresher and it extends the life of my sheets by not putting them in the dryer. Win-win!.
Welcome! Glad to have you join!
So the sheets dry on the bed… with the blankets on top?…. Don't they get the mattress padding wet? I'm confused! Could you explain it in more detail? Thank you!

As a bonus the sheets smell fresher and it extends the life of my sheets by not putting them in the dryer. Win-win!.
So the sheets dry on the bed… with the blankets on top?…. Don't they get the mattress padding wet? I'm confused! Could you explain it in more detail? Thank you!
Thank you! It is great to join such a helpful and supportive group.
Yes, make the entire bed, wet sheets and blanket and bedspread. I haven't tried wet blankets but the sheets dry in a few hours even when the entire bed is made. I double sheet my blankets and all three sheets dry with the entire bed made up.
The sheets seem crisper and cooler too!
thumbs_up.gif

Yes, make the entire bed, wet sheets and blanket and bedspread. I haven't tried wet blankets but the sheets dry in a few hours even when the entire bed is made. I double sheet my blankets and all three sheets dry with the entire bed made up.
thumbs_up.gif

Never heard of it before… but I don't think I will ever get the idea past the powers that be here at our inn. But next time there's a crunch for time and the stuff not quite dry, I won't be so worried!

thumbs_up.gif

Never heard of it before… but I don't think I will ever get the idea past the powers that be here at our inn. But next time there's a crunch for time and the stuff not quite dry, I won't be so worried!
I have been doing this for a while. The only time it didn't work out was when a couple checked in and then wanted to upgrade to a nicer room and I had just made up the bed wet. Eek!
As long as you have a few hours (or overnight) it works. You might try it on your own bed first.

thumbs_up.gif

I have been doing this for a while. The only time it didn't work out was when a couple checked in and then wanted to upgrade to a nicer room and I had just made up the bed wet. Eek!
As long as you have a few hours (or overnight) it works. You might try it on your own bed first.
Not only is it a new idea, I don't think I can strip, wash, and remake a bed fast enough for it to dry before someone wants in and when a room is not rent that night, its the last room to be done or just gets stripped of everything and left for the next day. Whether I like it or not, or could use it or not, I like to learn new ideas.
My last new idea someone told me and I will drop it here if anyone wants to try it out. I didn't like how the fold lines showed it was inside out and the pillowcase for some reason doesn't stand up but slouches or its the person didn't straighten it out, etc.
Pillowcases. You pull them off and wash them inside out. Then you grab the corners and the pillow's corners and pull it over the pillow. The person claim that it is faster, easier, and more sanitary then stuffing the pillow in the pillowcase.

Holy cow that would not work here! I've pulled dampish sheets out of the dryer and they are still dampish hours later. On the bed they would just soak in making everything smell funky.
My first summer here I tried to lose the ironing as I was ironing it at midnight! The sheets done then were still damp in the morning when trying to make the beds.
I bet it works well in a drier climate, tho!

Back