I'm back...sort of

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say "time heals all". Hope things are better for Bree and Sanctuary as time goes by . You have alot of B&B buddies here always wishing you the best.....
heart.gif
Mary in Bridgewater, Va.

It started out as a routine $3,500 bottom paint that has now blossomed into an over $20,000 repair - the same repair I did a little over 3 years ago. I have to replace six cutlass bearings (spongy sleeves that go in the bronze braces that hold the shafts after they come through the hull from the engine room). To do that, all of the shafts (I have four) have to be removed. To do that, the large exhaust tubes had to be removed in the engine room. Then, the bearing go in, but the shafts have to be sent out to be "trued" - make sure they are perfectly straight, and the props have to be spin and balance to ensure they are perfectly tuned. Then, all of that stuff has to go back together and the shafts aligned with the engines/transmissions. That’s the part (alignment) the yard did NOT do last time which caused me to burn through all of these bearings again.
Then, we found that the seacocks that open/close which feed water to the engines are seized, so those have to be replaced. I had spares onboard, thankfully. Those are kind of important - if something breaks (a hose for example), I need to be able to close those valves to stop the flow of seawater into the boat - it’s 2.5" hole, one in each engine room.
Then, today, we arrived to find that the yard didn’t tell the sanding guy NOT to do blister repair and he had spend the day grinding large divits all over the hull which now have to be dried, filled, faired, etc. before the painting can even begin. Blisters on a Hatteras are cosmetic.
And the icing on the cake....there is a bridge closure starting on Monday that will keep me stuck up in the river for another week.
I’m really upset with the yard that they did not do an alignment the last time I did what was supposed to be milestone maintenance (as in every 20 years).
So, it's "serious" as in financial terms, but not serious as if she ran ground, sunk or caught fire.

It started out as a routine $3,500 bottom paint that has now blossomed into an over $20,000 repair - the same repair I did a little over 3 years ago. I have to replace six cutlass bearings (spongy sleeves that go in the bronze braces that hold the shafts after they come through the hull from the engine room). To do that, all of the shafts (I have four) have to be removed. To do that, the large exhaust tubes had to be removed in the engine room. Then, the bearing go in, but the shafts have to be sent out to be "trued" - make sure they are perfectly straight, and the props have to be spin and balance to ensure they are perfectly tuned. Then, all of that stuff has to go back together and the shafts aligned with the engines/transmissions. That’s the part (alignment) the yard did NOT do last time which caused me to burn through all of these bearings again.
Then, we found that the seacocks that open/close which feed water to the engines are seized, so those have to be replaced. I had spares onboard, thankfully. Those are kind of important - if something breaks (a hose for example), I need to be able to close those valves to stop the flow of seawater into the boat - it’s 2.5" hole, one in each engine room.
Then, today, we arrived to find that the yard didn’t tell the sanding guy NOT to do blister repair and he had spend the day grinding large divits all over the hull which now have to be dried, filled, faired, etc. before the painting can even begin. Blisters on a Hatteras are cosmetic.
And the icing on the cake....there is a bridge closure starting on Monday that will keep me stuck up in the river for another week.
I’m really upset with the yard that they did not do an alignment the last time I did what was supposed to be milestone maintenance (as in every 20 years).
So, it's "serious" as in financial terms, but not serious as if she ran ground, sunk or caught fire..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
So, it's "serious" as in financial terms, but not serious as if she ran ground, sunk or caught fire.
whattha.gif
Sorry to hear all this!!!!! I cannot even imagine that cost................................

So, it's "serious" as in financial terms, but not serious as if she ran ground, sunk or caught fire..
Wow...I can't even wrap my brain around all of that!
whattha.gif

And here I sit dreading having to put a new roof on! I will settle for that over what you are having to do. Especially since yours truly IS a case of life or death!

WOW...and I have been complaining about all the things braking around here...doesn't even compare to your repairs. Sorry you are having to tackle all this.

Sweetness - I've been wondering and wondering about you but because I'm a vile person I never followed through on my wonderings. I'm really sorry about what's been happening in your life - you know if you need me I'll be there.
As far as forum posting goes .... I completely understand. It's a great resource, an amazing group of friends, colleagues & counsellors, but I also find it very addictive. Once I start to post, it always snowballs into spending more time than I can afford - so I've reined myself in .... but trust me - I spend at least a few minutes every day catching up with what's going on in "innspiring" land.
Chin up bambina - I hate to think of you unhappy.

Sweetness - I've been wondering and wondering about you but because I'm a vile person I never followed through on my wonderings. I'm really sorry about what's been happening in your life - you know if you need me I'll be there.
As far as forum posting goes .... I completely understand. It's a great resource, an amazing group of friends, colleagues & counsellors, but I also find it very addictive. Once I start to post, it always snowballs into spending more time than I can afford - so I've reined myself in .... but trust me - I spend at least a few minutes every day catching up with what's going on in "innspiring" land.
Chin up bambina - I hate to think of you unhappy..
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

broken_heart.gif
i am so sorry!

welcome.gif
back, Bree. I guess I didn't realize that you were MIA for that much time because I've been on vacation. Condolences and good luck with the timer.

welcome.gif
back, Bree. I guess I didn't realize that you were MIA for that much time because I've been on vacation. Condolences and good luck with the timer..
Samster...how was vacation? I forget where you went...was it Put-in-Bay?

welcome.gif
back, Bree. I guess I didn't realize that you were MIA for that much time because I've been on vacation. Condolences and good luck with the timer..
Vacation was toooooooooooo short. Sailed to the Bahamas and got off on a private cay. The water was warm, clear and beautiful. Sigh......

welcome.gif
Vacation was toooooooooooo short. Sailed to the Bahamas and got off on a private cay. The water was warm, clear and beautiful. Sigh......
Much better that Put-in-Bay :) Glad you had a nice time! My sister and her husband are off to Punta Cana this week. Looks lovely there but I am not a beach person so wouldn't be the place I would pick.

welcome.gif
Samster said:
My daughter and her future husband just did that cruise, I wonder if you guys were on the same one? I think their days were the 5th - 10th

welcome.gif
Much better that Put-in-Bay :) Glad you had a nice time! My sister and her husband are off to Punta Cana this week. Looks lovely there but I am not a beach person so wouldn't be the place I would pick.
I would LOVE to go to Put-in-Bay or Kelly's Island. I do not need exotic - just different.

welcome.gif
Our vacation this year was in Punta Cana and the beach is amazing. We were there in May
canopy.jpg

DR.jpg

view from our balcony

welcome.gif
Our vacation this year was in Punta Cana and the beach is amazing. We were there in May
canopy.jpg

DR.jpg

view from our balcony
Beautiful! We took today to recover from the vacation. I'll get some photos off the camera and post later.

Back