I'm Breakfast Bored

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
That's it... the truth is out... I'm breakfast bored. For the last few days I have been searching my brain for new ideas, for something totally different from the ordinary, to create something new.

Some of the things that have come to my mind is making a Babka. I have never made one before. I'm not great with yeast, but I have a bread machine to make the dough. But everyone seems to do it in chocolate and I was thinking of other flavours that might be interesting... blueberry or lemon poppyseed or even chocolate chili... I wonder how people would react if I used halva inside or maybe the flavours of baklava.

Heck, a few days ago I was looking at a book and thought that maybe I should trying making Malawach for breakfast as something totally different and then serving it on the side. I don't know, I feel like I'm in a breakfast rut just at the same time that I'm inundated with vegetables from the farmer. I'm thinking zucchini fritata or zucchini and potato fritters with a poached egg and hollandaise?

Which leads to the next question... maybe it's time that I started a breakfast food blog. But I don't even know where to start and how to get people to read my ideas and recipes. Anyone done it?

There are lots out there already blogging and pinterest about breakfast. I am not sure why you are so concerned.It is not as if you have the same people every day for breakfast. Whatever you make will be new to them. These weird concoctions would not appeal to me...sorry.

I get bored too. Would love to hear new ideas.
How about a soufflé? Fried zucchini?

Blog with recipes - great idea! I get much inspiration from food blogs.
If you're good with food photography you'll be ahead of the game.
An idea:
Take your photos and make notes as you try the recipes. Save the photos and notes for the slow time when you can take your time writing the blog posts. Because many recipes are not time sensitive, you can store them up and upload your pre- written posts during your busy times.
I would love to read your blog.
At the moment I'm more with 'Nest. I have my recipes down with timing and variations. Most will stay once and have never had breakfast here - so all new to them.

I understand - making the same breakfast over and over and over....b The egg bake & English muffin bread is boring to me also - can almost do it in my sleep (a plus) - but it impresses the heck out of guests so I keep doing it. Will be doing some change-up next week as I have a 5-night booking.

I have to agree with Empty Nest
I had five basic breakfasts that I rotated or varied and guests loved them ... boring (to you maybe) as you can probably make them half asleep. I could and that was the beauty of it. They won't be boring or old to your guests unless your guests stay with you all the time. And, even then, I had guests who said they 'couldn't wait' for the belgian waffles. And sometimes wanted the same breakfast three days in a row.

How about a soufflé? Fried zucchini?.
Try looking here for a gazillion ideas https://www.pinterest.com/mssheena/blogger-breakfast-recipes/
There are tons more out there.
Wow. Just looked at that page. People will ruin some beautiful breakfast dishes and their names... so easily. Ever seen an Italian eat eggs for breakfast? A beautiful dish like shakshuka (cumin spiced tomato sauce with poached eggs) ends up being a hash of a sort? And just because you have maple and blueberries don't make oatmeal into French toast. Ugh!
Then again, I'm sure someone will look at my recipes and say the same thing.

Try looking here for a gazillion ideas https://www.pinterest.com/mssheena/blogger-breakfast-recipes/
Wow. Just looked at that page. People will ruin some beautiful breakfast dishes and their names... so easily. Ever seen an Italian eat eggs for breakfast? A beautiful dish like shakshuka (cumin spiced tomato sauce with poached eggs) ends up being a hash of a sort? And just because you have maple and blueberries don't make oatmeal into French toast. Ugh!
Or this one

Or this one
That one is a little better. Seems a lot of people like donuts for breakfast. Ugh!

Or this one
Wow... so many people using canned crescent dough and canned cinnamon roll dough. Those are both based on biscuit dough and get horribly hard a few minutes after you take them out of the oven. I'd rather use fresh dough from the bread maker or make my own and knead it.

My husband is our chef. He does a croque madame riff. Daves crusty, seedy toast on the bottom, topped with gryure cheese, ham, freshly sliced tomatoes , a cheesy bernaise sauce topped with a poached egg and sprinkled with chopped basil and chives. It is really good. Our European guests like it as do our US guests.

Zucchini anything!
We've got boredom down to a science this summer. New people? We serve the same thing 3 days in a row. I have the same 5 items we are serving this year. It's gotten to the point I almost don't need the recipes any longer to make the crisp or the blueberry puff.

I just subscribed to the Extra Crispy newsletter - about breakfast and brunch - and the new Christopher Kimball endeavor, Milk Street Kitchen. I get bored with my offerings, too, although I'm not cooking breakfast every day now so it's easier for it to be exciting. If nothing else, the pics make me step up my garnish game.

I just subscribed to the Extra Crispy newsletter - about breakfast and brunch - and the new Christopher Kimball endeavor, Milk Street Kitchen. I get bored with my offerings, too, although I'm not cooking breakfast every day now so it's easier for it to be exciting. If nothing else, the pics make me step up my garnish game..
How is that milk street? It keeps coming up in my news feed.

I agree with EN. I'm totally boring and like something I can pronounce and know immediately what it is I'm about to eat. But I have plans to make something new as soon as I get some time to test it out… stay tuned for photo.

I just subscribed to the Extra Crispy newsletter - about breakfast and brunch - and the new Christopher Kimball endeavor, Milk Street Kitchen. I get bored with my offerings, too, although I'm not cooking breakfast every day now so it's easier for it to be exciting. If nothing else, the pics make me step up my garnish game..
Morticia said:
Haven't got my starter issue yet. There is an email, and a first recipe for caramel oranges. Actually would be a good starter for breakfast, but better for winter when citrus is in season.
A couple of my innsitting clients have the 8 Broads cookbook - I've cooked a few new things out of that. Really like the baked cherry tomatoes side dish, especially with tomatoes coming into season, and the shoo-fly pie muffins were really good. Bake them the day before you serve them, though - they need overnight to dry a bit so they don't stick to the liners. The blog is good, too. It's always nice to see what our innmates are doing!

I've suggested broiled tomatoes with cheese and basil but DH vetoed it. Anyone serve vegetable sides?

Back