I'm Exhausted!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We just checked in two elderly couples. Both as sweet and friendly as could be, but I had to repeat everything multiple times and make several trips back and forth to the main house because the kept thinking of something that they needed. They're just one nighters, but I'm sure we're going to have trouble getting rid of them tomorrow because they're all talkers.

Oy. I hope your morning goes quickly. Although in the end those types of guests usually end up being great, they usually appreciate everything you've done for them.
PT, how far is your house from your guest rooms? Just curious...

It's about 100 yards, no biggy.
I forgot to mention that they were also here under a short-lived "Senior's Discount", so were getting our rock bottom price. They had found us through the recent magazine article about Texas wineries where we were mentioned.
I'm not sure where they got this, possibly from a review or somewhere else, but the first thing out of their mouths was "Where's the free wine and cheese?"
Response in my head: "What? I'm practically giving you the rooms for free and you want wine and cheese.
Around here, the perks are commensurate with the length of stay and the price you pay. Two-nighters get in-room snacks and, when the weather is nice, wine and cheese or a cold beer. However, any and all perks are at our discretion.

I forgot to mention that they were also here under a short-lived "Senior's Discount", so were getting our rock bottom price. They had found us through the recent magazine article about Texas wineries where we were mentioned.
I'm not sure where they got this, possibly from a review or somewhere else, but the first thing out of their mouths was "Where's the free wine and cheese?"
Response in my head: "What? I'm practically giving you the rooms for free and you want wine and cheese.
Around here, the perks are commensurate with the length of stay and the price you pay. Two-nighters get in-room snacks and, when the weather is nice, wine and cheese or a cold beer. However, any and all perks are at our discretion..
Ugh.

Around here, the perks are commensurate with the length of stay and the price you pay. Two-nighters get in-room snacks and, when the weather is nice, wine and cheese or a cold beer. However, any and all perks are at our discretion..
Probably because you were mentioned in an article on wineries. On the flip side are the guests who are tickled that they could make tea at 6 AM and didn't have to ask permission.

Whew! They were on time for breakfast, cleaned their plates and were SOOOO appreciative of everything. So, my dread was for naught. We'll see how the rooms look after they leave, but we're optimistic.
Even better, we had an overnight dip in the temperature and it's a very pleasant 58º outside.

Whew! They were on time for breakfast, cleaned their plates and were SOOOO appreciative of everything. So, my dread was for naught. We'll see how the rooms look after they leave, but we're optimistic.
Even better, we had an overnight dip in the temperature and it's a very pleasant 58º outside..
Perfect here on the Gulf Coast also, PT. Glad your guests turned out well...we all do usually worry for nothing.

They're packing up to leave (It's now 11:31 a.m. CST, 31 minutes after check-out) They decided to take a walk on our trails after breakfast. It was cute to see them shuffling along as they (eventually) returned. They all walked like Tim Conway's little old man character on the old Carol Burnett show.
The youngest of the quartet was 83 and the oldest was 89. The latter is the driver.

Ugh.
Don Draper said:
Just what I was thinking...

the trouble I find with older people is they remember what the price was when they last stayed away which may have obeen 10 years ago so think todays prices area expensive. I was had this summer by an old lady who conned me into doing a cheap stay for her when she had a second home and all sorts the cow!

the trouble I find with older people is they remember what the price was when they last stayed away which may have obeen 10 years ago so think todays prices area expensive. I was had this summer by an old lady who conned me into doing a cheap stay for her when she had a second home and all sorts the cow!.
That's the way some old folks amass enough $$$ to afford a second home.
wink_smile.gif

the trouble I find with older people is they remember what the price was when they last stayed away which may have obeen 10 years ago so think todays prices area expensive. I was had this summer by an old lady who conned me into doing a cheap stay for her when she had a second home and all sorts the cow!.
That's the way some old folks amass enough $$$ to afford a second home.
wink_smile.gif

she was a right cow as well she booked a single and our singles are not ensuite which i told her and then she complained about it all the time was the last down for breakfast and took a month to eat breakfast and insisted on speaking to me all the time about how she would fall down the stairs going to the toilet. grrrr.

Camberly wrote: "the trouble I find with older people is they remember what the price was when they last stayed away which may have obeen 10 years ago so think todays prices area expensive."Ahhhh yes! But it is not just the old folks that have time warp syndrome. I had 2 young couples that stayed here in my early years... they stayed at leat through 1 $10 increase as I recall them making a statememt over it at the time. They called last year to check availability... when I quoted the price, I almost could hear them hit their head on the floor as they fainted!!! Upon their return to life, he said I remember your rate was $XX a night... That time it was ME that hit the floor, that was 10 years ago - and lots of great additions have happened since then too. Of course he tried to chew me down. I asked if his wife still owned her spa and asked if her rates had changed in 10 years!!!
Needless to say they did not book & with a mind set like that, I am glad.

Camberly wrote: "the trouble I find with older people is they remember what the price was when they last stayed away which may have obeen 10 years ago so think todays prices area expensive."Ahhhh yes! But it is not just the old folks that have time warp syndrome. I had 2 young couples that stayed here in my early years... they stayed at leat through 1 $10 increase as I recall them making a statememt over it at the time. They called last year to check availability... when I quoted the price, I almost could hear them hit their head on the floor as they fainted!!! Upon their return to life, he said I remember your rate was $XX a night... That time it was ME that hit the floor, that was 10 years ago - and lots of great additions have happened since then too. Of course he tried to chew me down. I asked if his wife still owned her spa and asked if her rates had changed in 10 years!!!
Needless to say they did not book & with a mind set like that, I am glad..
copperhead said:
They called last year to check availability... when I quoted the price, I almost could hear them hit their head on the floor as they fainted!!!
Needless to say they did not book & with a mind set like that, I am glad.
Lots of businesses make the mistake of letting a handful of people like that prevent them from setting proper prices. We all tend to pay more attention to the squeaky wheel, but when you raise rates, you can afford to lose people like those you mention and still come out way ahead, both financially and mentally!

We just had a call from someone who stayed a million years ago (maybe 15 or so). They were 'looking at your website' as they spoke to us. OO names on the site, I know which one it is. It is the only one with prices from 1990 1999. They start at $75 $70. Of course, they all want that room.
We say we have a 'new' site (no, it's the same one the OO's had, just changed up a bit) that has all the new info on it if they would like to take a look. But there is the same 'head hitting floor' scenario. Rates have gone up 100% in 20 11 years, go figure.
I looked around on the site and quite a number of the listings are 'dead'. If you click to look at the property you get a search box.

We just had a call from someone who stayed a million years ago (maybe 15 or so). They were 'looking at your website' as they spoke to us. OO names on the site, I know which one it is. It is the only one with prices from 1990 1999. They start at $75 $70. Of course, they all want that room.
We say we have a 'new' site (no, it's the same one the OO's had, just changed up a bit) that has all the new info on it if they would like to take a look. But there is the same 'head hitting floor' scenario. Rates have gone up 100% in 20 11 years, go figure.
I looked around on the site and quite a number of the listings are 'dead'. If you click to look at the property you get a search box.
Is the domain similar to yours? Why didn't they take it down as part of the sale to you? Do they still own it? Can you tell them to remove it or have them do a "Redirect" to your site??? That is absurd to still have it on line. I would do something about that for sure.

I had two chaps at the door yesterday looking for a room for 2 people including breakfast at $40 each they won't get that here. had a good laugh my neighbour took them in as they were looking for a 3 week stay (workmen) at $110 no breakfast and I considered that very cheap. I don't think people have any idea what things cost and certainly not what people's mortgages on places like ours are. And that they have to be paid every month not withstanding.

Also on the defunct web site front people leave all sorts of crap lying about on the internet completely out of date. was looking for another B&B's phone number and on their web site was about how you could sample the whisky collection of the prevous owner (in his company) and they sold up about 6 years ago! complete with pictures!

Is the domain similar to yours? Why didn't they take it down as part of the sale to you? Do they still own it? Can you tell them to remove it or have them do a "Redirect" to your site??? That is absurd to still have it on line. I would do something about that for sure.
catlady said:
It's defunct directory as far as I can tell. Last date I can find on it is 2003.
I meant to add that when the guests call every last one of them fits into the 'elderly' mode (how is it that only THEY find this website?) so we say those owners have been gone for over 10 years and here are the new rates. We stress the TEN YEARS. I can commiserate til the cows come home, but the rates aren't going down. If they argue that it is 'your website and you have to honor the rates' (and they do) we do a quick rundown of how anyone can copy anything they want on the web and never update it. And then we tell them our photos and our names are on our website and that's the only website info we honor.

Back