I'm finished

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aieechihuahua

Reaction score
I am FINISHED writing our B&B Assoc. grant FY2010 . I am so happy I could do a dance, 'cept for the crappy knees. I have been working on it since May 29, taking only yesterday off and away from it. Clearing your head for a day really helps.
All that's left is the proofing and the copies and the getting it to Santa Fe by 5pm on Wednesday. I am jazzed. Unfortunately I couldn't request as much $ as in previous years, as the have re-written the program and Associations like our B&B Association, the Golf Tourism Association, Ski Associations have fell between the cracks. They know it though, and I have been asked to come in and help them fix it for next year. That has me jazzed too.
Shamelessly happy with myself. Thanks for listening - so to speak.

what's it all about? (in a nutshell) sorry about the knees. me too! for me, getting older really bites!

Writing grants is tedious work getting all the i's dotted and the t's crossed so to speak. I have been in your shoes and revel with you that it is done. Congratulations.

what's it all about? (in a nutshell) sorry about the knees. me too! for me, getting older really bites!.
getting old really bites, but it beats the alternative, eh?
Our State Tourism Dept. has set aside 1 million dollars to be doled out to touriam entities, consorteums and associations in the form of matching funds grants. Depending on your size and type of organization the categories are 50% matc ot 33% match. The grants are reviewed and graded on set standards, by peers, and the funding an entity is awarded is doled out each quarter upon submission of a form and cancelled checks.
The program does need tweaking, but I am just glad for this recognition by the state, in the form of money, to the folks who actually bring in the tourists and their dollars. We work hard for it, and we deserve it!
Thats in in a very small shell.

what's it all about? (in a nutshell) sorry about the knees. me too! for me, getting older really bites!.
Our State Tourism Dept. has set aside 1 million dollars to be doled out to touriam entities, consorteums and associations in the form of matching funds grants. Depending on your size and type of organization the categories are 50% matc ot 33% match. The grants are reviewed and graded on set standards, by peers, and the funding an entity is awarded is doled out each quarter upon submission of a form and cancelled checks.
The program does need tweaking, but I am just glad for this recognition by the state, in the form of money, to the folks who actually bring in the tourists and their dollars. We work hard for it, and we deserve it!
That's great. Our state has cut the tourism budget so badly they can barely do anything. They do offer some opportunities but usually involve much more money than most can afford. Our association has worked with them on some things and glad to say that they do distribute our B & B guides for us at no cost...so that is a tremendous help to our association.

Not to brag - but I must. WV is put down sooo much.
We have a Matching Advertising Partnership Program (MAPP) that is 2 categories. Projects of up to $10,000 (must have a partner) can get reimbursed up to 75% ($7500 max) of the total project. This project must be pre-approved before the start of the project. MABB qualifies as an assoc and we use it to print our Directories. 60% of the output of these grants if brochures must go to the State (and everything has the State Tourism logo in the proscribed place and in the proscribed color) and is distributed to all the Welcome Centers.
Large Projects - anything over $10k - is a 50/50 reimbursement. Also pre-approved but these are by the Tourism Commission, not the Division grants people and can (and do) go into millions of dollars.
There is another fund of up to $5000 (50/50) for Fairs & Festivals.

We have a Matching Advertising Partnership Program (MAPP) that is 2 categories. Projects of up to $10,000 (must have a partner) can get reimbursed up to 75% ($7500 max) of the total project. This project must be pre-approved before the start of the project. MABB qualifies as an assoc and we use it to print our Directories. 60% of the output of these grants if brochures must go to the State (and everything has the State Tourism logo in the proscribed place and in the proscribed color) and is distributed to all the Welcome Centers.
Large Projects - anything over $10k - is a 50/50 reimbursement. Also pre-approved but these are by the Tourism Commission, not the Division grants people and can (and do) go into millions of dollars.
West Virginia is #1 in my book. My best friend is a Hatfield, and although she lives in ABQ she brags and promotes WV as if she was born and bred there. I still live through her photos of her vacations there. Almost heaven, west Virginia.

gillumhouse said:
Okay I have to ask this, is WV put down now? Where are you seeing that or hearing that? Is that a thing of the past? I never hear anything negative about WV at all, and in fact, I read only good things about it in the WA Post and NY Times etc.

gillumhouse said:
Okay I have to ask this, is WV put down now? Where are you seeing that or hearing that? Is that a thing of the past? I never hear anything negative about WV at all, and in fact, I read only good things about it in the WA Post and NY Times etc.
We are usually #49 or 50 on Lists of Bests and # 1 or 2 on lists of Worsts (smoking, obesity, etc). Abercrombie & Fitch comes out with T-shirts with negative phrases. It happens so often that I do not pay too much attention these days. There was something just a couple weeks ago that was a slam. I do not retain a lot of this because I am old and only have so many brain cells left. We were dissed by a band at a Bowl game a few years ago when we played Virginia - Tech I think - anyway, the offending university will never allow that again. As a small State with a small population and not a lot of wealth in the population (we are rich in natural resources that are mostly owned by out-of-State companies who do little reinvestment in the State and historically even less than now), we are an easy target.
When the Media wants to portray WV, they usually go to the deepest hollow and look for the most pathetic looking shack to interview the bib-overalled, butt-scratchin', gap-toothed, no-limbs-on-ther family-tree BUBBA and his wife, scraggley-haired, pregnant, toothless Witless Wanda.
Was there a lot of publicity about how the people of this State held drives for funds and materials for clean-up for the floods we had a month ago? About how by the time FEMA set up and a disaster area was declared (2 weeks after the event) volunteers from all over the State and the WV National Guard had been there cleaning things up - truck-loads of bottled water, mops, buckets, pallets of bleach, food, etc "flooding in" from all over the State.
Tourism manages to get good articles about us, but the Media in general seem to prefer to keep WV, KY, MS especially as examples of pathetic poor...

gillumhouse said:
We are usually #49 or 50 on Lists of Bests and # 1 or 2 on lists of Worsts (smoking, obesity, etc). Abercrombie & Fitch comes out with T-shirts with negative phrases. It happens so often that I do not pay too much attention these days. There was something just a couple weeks ago that was a slam. I do not retain a lot of this because I am old and only have so many brain cells left. We were dissed by a band at a Bowl game a few years ago when we played Virginia - Tech I think - anyway, the offending university will never allow that again. As a small State with a small population and not a lot of wealth in the population (we are rich in natural resources that are mostly owned by out-of-State companies who do little reinvestment in the State and historically even less than now), we are an easy target.
When the Media wants to portray WV, they usually go to the deepest hollow and look for the most pathetic looking shack to interview the bib-overalled, butt-scratchin', gap-toothed, no-limbs-on-ther family-tree BUBBA and his wife, scraggley-haired, pregnant, toothless Witless Wanda.
Was there a lot of publicity about how the people of this State held drives for funds and materials for clean-up for the floods we had a month ago? About how by the time FEMA set up and a disaster area was declared (2 weeks after the event) volunteers from all over the State and the WV National Guard had been there cleaning things up - truck-loads of bottled water, mops, buckets, pallets of bleach, food, etc "flooding in" from all over the State.
Tourism manages to get good articles about us, but the Media in general seem to prefer to keep WV, KY, MS especially as examples of pathetic poor...
gillumhouse said:
I just shot pancake onto my computer...thanks for the laugh. You have a great sense of humor.
As though I only live about 4 hours from you (next state over) I can totally attest to the examples given. WV is the hind end of a lot of jokes. The southern half of my state is considered to be part of WV and not in the most glowing of terms
However, it is sad and unfortunate to see the way people assume to know what an entire STATE is about. You couldn't classify ALL of CA as rich and snobby (just an observation- no offense intended), just as you can't classify all of Colorado as flat.
Each has many parts to make up its whole. The same can be said about innkeepers and their inns

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I just shot pancake onto my computer...thanks for the laugh. You have a great sense of humor.
As though I only live about 4 hours from you (next state over) I can totally attest to the examples given. WV is the hind end of a lot of jokes. The southern half of my state is considered to be part of WV and not in the most glowing of terms
However, it is sad and unfortunate to see the way people assume to know what an entire STATE is about. You couldn't classify ALL of CA as rich and snobby (just an observation- no offense intended), just as you can't classify all of Colorado as flat.
Each has many parts to make up its whole. The same can be said about innkeepers and their inns
Gasp! do you mean CA is NOT all fruits & nuts? FL is NOT all old geezers from NY? TX is NOT all gunfighting cow punchers? NM is NOT a foreign country and you now need a passport to visit there if you wnat bck in the States? WOW!!!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Gasp! do you mean CA is NOT all fruits & nuts? FL is NOT all old geezers from NY? TX is NOT all gunfighting cow punchers? NM is NOT a foreign country and you now need a passport to visit there if you wnat bck in the States? WOW!!!
I know...steady yourself. It's hard to take in all at once. Easy now. Breathe deep ;)

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
We were dissed by a band at a Bowl game a few years ago when we played Virginia - Tech I think - anyway, the offending university will never allow that again. As a small State with a small population and not a lot of wealth in the population (we are rich in natural resources that are mostly owned by out-of-State companies who do little reinvestment in the State and historically even less than now), we are an easy target.
I'm pretty sure it was UVA. The Glee Club or whatever the group was called that did it is still not allowed to play at games or receive any funds. They performed some kind of ignorant skit.
Riki

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
We were dissed by a band at a Bowl game a few years ago when we played Virginia - Tech I think - anyway, the offending university will never allow that again. As a small State with a small population and not a lot of wealth in the population (we are rich in natural resources that are mostly owned by out-of-State companies who do little reinvestment in the State and historically even less than now), we are an easy target.
I'm pretty sure it was UVA. The Glee Club or whatever the group was called that did it is still not allowed to play at games or receive any funds. They performed some kind of ignorant skit.
Riki
YES! Thank you. My apologies to Tech.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
OK - for you, bring a passport and some pesos!
LOL
This is a link to what some crazy middle age WV women can do. deternination sees your stron suit:
http://newmexicast.com/ open Navajo Mission video.

gillumhouse said:
Dick Cheney had a few choice words back earlier in the year - right out there in the mainstream. It was hideous, IMHO.

gillumhouse said:
Dick Cheney had a few choice words back earlier in the year - right out there in the mainstream. It was hideous, IMHO.
Just for the record a few on this forum are conservatives, some ultra conservative. We try to refrain from political comments on any party or person in politics.
Gillum House: Living in WV you would hear and notice or shall I say be more sensitive to derogatory comment/media more than those who don't live there. Of course if you live in a neighboring state like someone mentioned, then there is always the one-upmanship going on between the states themselves. Rivals, in fact, on many realms. Unfortunately each time you bring up that image you are doing just that - bringing up that image. Does that make sense? To those of us not from WV or that part of the country it is only educating us on how to think about WV. Felt I should mention it, I know it is a sore spot for you. Again, I have only read and heard wonderful things about your state. Keep up the good work spreading the word that it is a destination. I can't wait to ride the rapids on one of your rivers one day.

gillumhouse said:
Just for the record a few on this forum are conservatives, some ultra conservative. We try to refrain from political comments on any party or person in politics.
Gillum House: Living in WV you would hear and notice or shall I say be more sensitive to derogatory comment/media more than those who don't live there. Of course if you live in a neighboring state like someone mentioned, then there is always the one-upmanship going on between the states themselves. Rivals, in fact, on many realms. Unfortunately each time you bring up that image you are doing just that - bringing up that image. Does that make sense? To those of us not from WV or that part of the country it is only educating us on how to think about WV. Felt I should mention it, I know it is a sore spot for you. Again, I have only read and heard wonderful things about your state. Keep up the good work spreading the word that it is a destination. I can't wait to ride the rapids on one of your rivers one day.
I will restrain myself in the future. I will have to be careful, as I didn't think that was a slam at a party.

Back