Im quite proud of myself!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
This is probably not a big deal for most people but I have learned to make omlettes this week and they are comming out really well. We have had 6 muslim guests in for 4/5 nights and they don't eat pork so have more limited breakfast options. We don't normally do omlettes but I asked my friend who has a really nice cafe to teach me so have been doing cheese, egg and tomatoe omletts for them as another option. I also read that confessions of a breakfast diva what a boring woman all she does is whinge about wanting to move back to New York. I was hoping for fully stories etc but her trauma with her rental house tenants and selling up seemed all she could think about. She was definately in the wrong biz

We took up omelets a couple of years ago when Gomez was out of town and that's all I could cook! The guests talked to him on the phone (he called during breakfast) and they told him the omelets were great. (Phew!) So now he makes them, too.

And proud you should be. Now you can impress guests at whim and that's always a great skill to have on hand.

A skill I have never mastered!.
When you know how its dead easy! You put the tinyest drop of oil in the pan and put it on to heat and turn your grill up to really hot it is 200 on mine then crack 3 eggs into a jug and beat them put in a splash of milk and beat more. if you are doing a plain one thats your mix or you can add in peppers or tomatoes at this point and if you want grated cheese. Then tip the mixture into the pan and get a wooden spoon. with the wooden spoon (this bit is hard to explain) wiggle it accross the bottom of the pan back and forth it does make holes in the mix but they fill again. Then when it is more like one solid piece stop wiggling and put the pan under the grill (be carefull not to melt the handle) keep a close eye on it till it is firm and ready to put onto a plate. The tricky part is getting it all out in one piece. you can fold it in the pan which makes it easier.

When you know how its dead easy! You put the tinyest drop of oil in the pan and put it on to heat and turn your grill up to really hot it is 200 on mine then crack 3 eggs into a jug and beat them put in a splash of milk and beat more. if you are doing a plain one thats your mix or you can add in peppers or tomatoes at this point and if you want grated cheese. Then tip the mixture into the pan and get a wooden spoon. with the wooden spoon (this bit is hard to explain) wiggle it accross the bottom of the pan back and forth it does make holes in the mix but they fill again. Then when it is more like one solid piece stop wiggling and put the pan under the grill (be carefull not to melt the handle) keep a close eye on it till it is firm and ready to put onto a plate. The tricky part is getting it all out in one piece. you can fold it in the pan which makes it easier.
The master omelette guy says 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of water = one omelette. I know about the move it with the wodden spatula, I just get too hungry and mess it up. One of these days I will practice it enough for myself and get it right. The egg bake is easier.

The master omelette guy says 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of water = one omelette. I know about the move it with the wodden spatula, I just get too hungry and mess it up. One of these days I will practice it enough for myself and get it right. The egg bake is easier.
Agreed. Water is the secret ingredient to fluffy omelettes. Milk makes them stick.
Egg bakes are easier but omelettes are pretty easy, too, once you master them. Well worth the practice time.

Agreed. Water is the secret ingredient to fluffy omelettes. Milk makes them stick.
Egg bakes are easier but omelettes are pretty easy, too, once you master them. Well worth the practice time.
The great thing about the omelettes, other than how fast you can make them, is how easy they are to customize. No dairy - leave out the cheese. No bell peppers - just cheese and spinach. Spicy - add some salsa. They're already gluten-free and diabetic-friendly. But when I do them, I say a little prayer that every room arrives for breakfast 10 minutes after the last one. Nothing like having 12 people sit down at once and looking for omelettes.

The great thing about the omelettes, other than how fast you can make them, is how easy they are to customize. No dairy - leave out the cheese. No bell peppers - just cheese and spinach. Spicy - add some salsa. They're already gluten-free and diabetic-friendly. But when I do them, I say a little prayer that every room arrives for breakfast 10 minutes after the last one. Nothing like having 12 people sit down at once and looking for omelettes.
muirford said:
But when I do them, I say a little prayer that every room arrives for breakfast 10 minutes after the last one. Nothing like having 12 people sit down at once and looking for omelettes.
Those are the mornings when you really wish you'd done a breakfast bake.
I try my best to only do omelettes on slow days when the crowd won't all hit the tables at the same time. But sometimes even the best planning can't stop guests from all smelling the bacon at the exact same moment.
Literally.

Yes, the omelet is what we serve most often due to the fact they will work for everyone, just leave out whatever people don't want and it is great for vegans. We usually serve them with oven greek potatoes and tomatoes or fried zucchini. We add a dash sun dried tomatoes and oregano salad dressing to our omellettes and that is our secret ingredient.

Love omelettes although we only do them for no less than 2-4 people...I have a recipe for Apalachian Omelette but have not tried it yet.

Another option is to add your 'extras' after one side of the omelet is cooked, right before you do the fold over/flip. That wasy everything is encased inside the omelet and you don't get cheese gunking up the griddle.

muirford said:
But when I do them, I say a little prayer that every room arrives for breakfast 10 minutes after the last one. Nothing like having 12 people sit down at once and looking for omelettes.
Those are the mornings when you really wish you'd done a breakfast bake.
I try my best to only do omelettes on slow days when the crowd won't all hit the tables at the same time. But sometimes even the best planning can't stop guests from all smelling the bacon at the exact same moment.
Literally.
Here's what we find...we have a houseful and think, 'Need to do a bake so we can serve everyone.' The guests either space themselves out or they all skip and we're stuck with 3 quiches. It has gotten so much easier to just cook when they sit down. Yes, sometimes some guests are waiting a bit, but they seem to be able to amuse themselves.

Yes, the omelet is what we serve most often due to the fact they will work for everyone, just leave out whatever people don't want and it is great for vegans. We usually serve them with oven greek potatoes and tomatoes or fried zucchini. We add a dash sun dried tomatoes and oregano salad dressing to our omellettes and that is our secret ingredient..
My vegans won't eat omelets...

Yes, the omelet is what we serve most often due to the fact they will work for everyone, just leave out whatever people don't want and it is great for vegans. We usually serve them with oven greek potatoes and tomatoes or fried zucchini. We add a dash sun dried tomatoes and oregano salad dressing to our omellettes and that is our secret ingredient..
My vegans won't eat omelets...
Vegetarians yes, vegans absolutely NOT! If it came from something that has a face or feet it is untouchable!

Victoria said:
... We add a dash sun dried tomatoes and oregano salad dressing
Never heard of that. Is that a variety of "Mrs. Dash" seasonings?

Love omelettes although we only do them for no less than 2-4 people...I have a recipe for Apalachian Omelette but have not tried it yet..
birdwatcher said:
Love omelettes although we only do them for no less than 2-4 people...I have a recipe for Apalachian Omelette but have not tried it yet.
Does that contain squirrel or raccoon?
tounge_smile.gif

Love omelettes although we only do them for no less than 2-4 people...I have a recipe for Apalachian Omelette but have not tried it yet..
birdwatcher said:
Does that contain squirrel or raccoon?
tounge_smile.gif

Neither - here it would be groundhog!

Back