I'm So Sick Of...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Donation requests!
(This is definitely a vent)
I can handle the ones that just come out of the blue, have never stayed here and are just papering the landscape looking for someone to give. I can just ignore those. But, what about those that come from previous guests? How do you handle them? It's always the same thing..."oh, we stayed with you 3 years ago and we just loved our stay and your place would be perfect for our xyz auction"...
Grrrrrrrrr....I feel like I need to respond to these requests and then resent having to do it. Oh, and if they "loved" it so much how come they've never returned?
Thanks for the vent. I feel better already.

"Due to some negative experiences we've had with auctioned gift certificates we no longer participate in these kinds of programs. Are there any expenses for which a fixed donation would be helpful (like printing programs, food, etc.), we'd be happy to help in that way." They never want your cash donation, but at least you offered.
We have extended family members with children in private schools, these family members from whom we hear absolutely NOTHING at any other time don't hesitate at all to ask for gc donations for Johnny's soccer/baseball/swimming team. Some nerve.

I reply:
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. I am sorry but our alloction of donated gift certificates has been expended for this year.

I reply:
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. I am sorry but our alloction of donated gift certificates has been expended for this year..
gillumhouse said:
I reply:
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. I am sorry but our alloction of donated gift certificates has been expended for this year.
I've used something like that before, but with this just being February I thought it was a little see through. Also, I've given that type of response and they've actually contacted me again the next year hoping to get to the head of the line!

I reply:
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon. I am sorry but our alloction of donated gift certificates has been expended for this year..
gillumhouse said:
I reply:
I've used something like that before, but with this just being February I thought it was a little see through. Also, I've given that type of response and they've actually contacted me again the next year hoping to get to the head of the line!
That does not mean the donation requests have not come in just because it is Feb. I have received requests in Nov or Dec for Mardi Gras Night fundraisers to be held in Feb or March. And if your allocation for the year is NONE, you have expended your allocation.

That's a tough one, but this is how I handled one from my listing on bbonline (I DO hate when they use my listing to trawl, but that's another vent!)
Email request for donation to which I replied, 'Thank you for considering us for your auction. Due to the sheer volume of these requests we receive everyday, our corporate policy is to only support charities in our own town.'
Received a nice reply back.

That's a tough one, but this is how I handled one from my listing on bbonline (I DO hate when they use my listing to trawl, but that's another vent!)
Email request for donation to which I replied, 'Thank you for considering us for your auction. Due to the sheer volume of these requests we receive everyday, our corporate policy is to only support charities in our own town.'
Received a nice reply back..
Morticia said:
Very good! Can I steal it from you?

Morticia said:
Steal away...

If you feel you have to respond. I just said, Sorry our marketing budget is depleted at this time. we are unable to make donations. Thank you for thinking of us.

I'm going off on a peeve of my own...Im so sick of...guests breaking things and not owning up to it.
Gomez got up yesterday and turned on the lights in the inn to start breakfast. He turns up the heat and then turns on the computer. Computer mouse is broken. Little pieces of it on the floor. It's completely turned around (my guess is a leftie was at fault) and the wire is 'rerun' around the back of the monitor.
Yeesh, people, at least leave a note in the room if you're too scared to tell us.
Special trip to Staples to buy a new one. Yeah, we've got all day.

I'm going off on a peeve of my own...Im so sick of...guests breaking things and not owning up to it.
Gomez got up yesterday and turned on the lights in the inn to start breakfast. He turns up the heat and then turns on the computer. Computer mouse is broken. Little pieces of it on the floor. It's completely turned around (my guess is a leftie was at fault) and the wire is 'rerun' around the back of the monitor.
Yeesh, people, at least leave a note in the room if you're too scared to tell us.
Special trip to Staples to buy a new one. Yeah, we've got all day..
Morticia said:
Computer mouse is broken. Little pieces of it on the floor. It's completely turned around (my guess is a leftie was at fault) and the wire is 'rerun' around the back of the monitor.
Special trip to Staples to buy a new one. Yeah, we've got all day.
I think I went through 4 or 5 new mice last year. Got to where I started ordering 2 at a time so I'd have a backup.
And no, not one single time did anyone ever own up to it. Not once.

So the same telemarketers keep calling. As I've said, we have one phone with no caller id so I don't always know before I pick up. This one I've seen so many times, I practically have the number memorized. They always ask for the PO's, I always ask what room number they're in, they always say they want to speak with the owner, I always say they live in the Caribbean.
Today, I started yelling into the phone, 'Hello? Hello? Are you there? Oh this is a bad connection! Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Hello?
Everytime she tried to talk, I started saying, 'Hello? Hello?'
And last night, an internet spammer won Olympic silver.

So the same telemarketers keep calling. As I've said, we have one phone with no caller id so I don't always know before I pick up. This one I've seen so many times, I practically have the number memorized. They always ask for the PO's, I always ask what room number they're in, they always say they want to speak with the owner, I always say they live in the Caribbean.
Today, I started yelling into the phone, 'Hello? Hello? Are you there? Oh this is a bad connection! Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Hello?
Everytime she tried to talk, I started saying, 'Hello? Hello?'
And last night, an internet spammer won Olympic silver..
If within one second I don't hear a human hello. I hang up. And then if it is a human someone I cannot understand or who mispronounces our names..CLICK!

Morticia said:
Steal away...
I just used your quote and like you, got a very nice return e-mail totally understanding our situation. Thanks again! I feel much better returning some e-mail requests and this is a great way to explain our situation.

Another 'I'm so sick of...'
Guests who call to ask when they can cancel without penalty. This one called just under the wire today and effectively made sure the room was unavailable for a month to other callers who were looking last week. This for an event we were almost filled for next weekend.
Need a new policy- 'Why are you asking about the cancellation policy this late? Are you shopping for different accommodations? Here, let me help. Ah, there, I've canceled your room, feel free to find something you like better (cheaper, closer) without worrying about canceling here in time.'

Back