I'm sorry, but that is just wrong!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a great believer in these camps as I was a scout growing up and when you have to do full english breakfasts for 20 hungry boys you find your feet quick and learn to do it fast. It trained me not to panic and the skills were very handy for B&B.

I read a book by Michael Eisner (you know who that is) called CAMP. When asked what was the most influential institution in his life he thought for a moment and answered "Camp." He has been to many ivy league schools etc, but camp was what made him who he is and set the values he holds in the boardrooms in Hollywood and across the world today.
The book demonstrates as well taking two inner city LA kids and sending them to camp in Vermont, and how this whole camp thing can make a difference in these kids lives. He has a foundation from proceeds of the book to send more kids to camps like this (tripping wilderness camps).
Funny I was mentioning this to our guests this morning here from Scotland and their son worked in NH at a camp for three full summers and even met his wife there. There is something to that "roughing it" and pulling your own weight yet being part of a team. :) What is the saying, "High Expectations Are The Key To Everything." I said that to my sister from Ire with the four terrors and she looked at me like a deer in the headlights....
Well, our son worked at a Boy Scout camp in Central TX as a horse wrangler one Summer. He lost 22 lbs (which he didn't really need to lose) and learned what it was like to tend to horses, haul feed, slop pigs, throw hay bales in a hay barn, conduct trail rides, and work hard. Convinced him without a doubt that he wanted a college education. He still talks about how the ranch kids called him "City Boy". He learned a lot.....
Did I worry about him? Sure did. But he actually loved it. He only came home once that Summer and that was because one of the horses died and the camp director sent them home for a couple of days over a weekend when there were no campers. It really hit all the kids hard who were taking care of those animals.
This Summer he's been out in the heat working on houses in North Texas for AmeriCorps. Camp also taught him about service to others. It's a very good thing.....

We live in Alabama, and if you've not experienced an Alabama summer you don't know what the term "Hot and Muggy" is all about. When Nonnie and I were kids I would spend my summers in a little town about 35 miles north of Nonnie's house. Did that keep me from her? Heck no! I would ride my bike, at least three times a week, to go and see her, so your talking a 70 mile round trip. Did it ever bother me? Sure there were times I'd say, "Man it is hot," or "Darn I'm tired," and I'd always be soaked in sweat by the time I got there. However, did it stop me. Heck no. And of course did we just sit around when I'd get there? Again no. First thing we'd do is hit the woods and hike the trails, explore the rock quarrys, or even hike to the fire tower, which was a 5 mile round hike. Kids are a lot tougher than us old folk give them credit for ... as they should be. Of course we all know the world is a lot meaner place than it use to be, and kids can't ride alone for long distances like we use to, but I see way to many spoiled, rude and out of shape brats that think going outside is child abuse. Our children were raised that you didn't get a car ride every where you went, you spent your days outside and not in the house in front of the tv of game station, and most of all you did some form of exercising everyday. Do our kids feel abused? Not in the least. Our oldest, which is 26, is a school teacher, which we're absolutely proud of, and still calls her mom every morning and evening. Oh, and btw ... she walks the 2 miles to school evry morning except when it is raining. In fact, we have two other children and all five of us walk at least two miles a day.

Pops, you are awwwwright!
How come your posts always read like a short memoir to me? I love that! :)
I mentioned that my daughter in HIGH SCHOOL (16 years old) had to retake a test the day after school let out this year. We live, two blocks from the high school, yes there is a hill. We are hilly here. Her teacher was very concerned with her walking home TWO BLOCKS at noon on a Thursday in 80 degree sunny blue skies past the national guard armory and town police dept oh and Otis the donkey who lives on the farm right in town owned by a local young attorney and family that we know.
When I got the call, I about went ballistic, I said and I repeat "We should be more worried about her staying after school with a teacher! She can walk two blocks home." Click.
Yeah that's why I get into trouble all the time. Common sense is not common.

I mentioned that my daughter in HIGH SCHOOL (16 years old) had to retake a test the day after school let out this year. We live, two blocks from the high school, yes there is a hill. We are hilly here. Her teacher was very concerned with her walking home TWO BLOCKS at noon on a Thursday in 80 degree sunny blue skies past the national guard armory and town police dept oh and Otis the donkey who lives on the farm right in town owned by a local young attorney and family that we know.
When I got the call, I about went ballistic, I said and I repeat "We should be more worried about her staying after school with a teacher! She can walk two blocks home." Click.
Yeah that's why I get into trouble all the time. Common sense is not common..
Joey Bloggs said:
We live, two blocks from the high school, yes there is a hill. We are hilly here. Her teacher was very concerned with her walking home TWO BLOCKS at noon on a Thursday in 80 degree sunny blue skies past the national guard armory and town police dept oh and Otis the donkey who lives on the farm right in town owned by a local young attorney and family that we know.
That is just ridiculous. And she called you about that? Ridiculous.

Yeah, same kid who stands at attention on hot bitumen and marches for 3 hours+ every single day for two weeks solid in the summer. Same kid carrying the end of a heavy kayak in each hand (two) to portage them from the beach to the truck. Teachers HELP make these kids helpless and worthless...no matter how much self esteem kissie kissie they "pretend" to push around the class room. Oops, I better shut up now, don't get me started on teachers.
poke.gif
Bad JB! BAD!

We live in Alabama, and if you've not experienced an Alabama summer you don't know what the term "Hot and Muggy" is all about. When Nonnie and I were kids I would spend my summers in a little town about 35 miles north of Nonnie's house. Did that keep me from her? Heck no! I would ride my bike, at least three times a week, to go and see her, so your talking a 70 mile round trip. Did it ever bother me? Sure there were times I'd say, "Man it is hot," or "Darn I'm tired," and I'd always be soaked in sweat by the time I got there. However, did it stop me. Heck no. And of course did we just sit around when I'd get there? Again no. First thing we'd do is hit the woods and hike the trails, explore the rock quarrys, or even hike to the fire tower, which was a 5 mile round hike. Kids are a lot tougher than us old folk give them credit for ... as they should be. Of course we all know the world is a lot meaner place than it use to be, and kids can't ride alone for long distances like we use to, but I see way to many spoiled, rude and out of shape brats that think going outside is child abuse. Our children were raised that you didn't get a car ride every where you went, you spent your days outside and not in the house in front of the tv of game station, and most of all you did some form of exercising everyday. Do our kids feel abused? Not in the least. Our oldest, which is 26, is a school teacher, which we're absolutely proud of, and still calls her mom every morning and evening. Oh, and btw ... she walks the 2 miles to school evry morning except when it is raining. In fact, we have two other children and all five of us walk at least two miles a day..
I'm across the river from you. It's going to be 100F on the thermometer today, without the heat index. ugh. It definitely feels hotter here than it did when we lived in Central TX where the Summer temps can routinely get above 100F, believe it or not it is the HUMIDITY, not the heat. lol!
Side track alert....we have an awful bus system here and very few of the stops are covered to protect bus riders from the heat. It's terrible. I feel bad for those folks on days like today.

We live in Alabama, and if you've not experienced an Alabama summer you don't know what the term "Hot and Muggy" is all about. When Nonnie and I were kids I would spend my summers in a little town about 35 miles north of Nonnie's house. Did that keep me from her? Heck no! I would ride my bike, at least three times a week, to go and see her, so your talking a 70 mile round trip. Did it ever bother me? Sure there were times I'd say, "Man it is hot," or "Darn I'm tired," and I'd always be soaked in sweat by the time I got there. However, did it stop me. Heck no. And of course did we just sit around when I'd get there? Again no. First thing we'd do is hit the woods and hike the trails, explore the rock quarrys, or even hike to the fire tower, which was a 5 mile round hike. Kids are a lot tougher than us old folk give them credit for ... as they should be. Of course we all know the world is a lot meaner place than it use to be, and kids can't ride alone for long distances like we use to, but I see way to many spoiled, rude and out of shape brats that think going outside is child abuse. Our children were raised that you didn't get a car ride every where you went, you spent your days outside and not in the house in front of the tv of game station, and most of all you did some form of exercising everyday. Do our kids feel abused? Not in the least. Our oldest, which is 26, is a school teacher, which we're absolutely proud of, and still calls her mom every morning and evening. Oh, and btw ... she walks the 2 miles to school evry morning except when it is raining. In fact, we have two other children and all five of us walk at least two miles a day..
Shades of my growing up on a farm in WV. My children were lucky enough to be in a family where they were expected to work for the good of the family and fend for rhemsdlves. I say fortunate because all have become productive tax-paying citizens rather than entitlement receivers. My grandchildren grew up (and are growing up) doing things and not being coddled. Band practice, football practice (full pads!) in August anywhere is not done in the shade.

So basically what is being said is keeping them inside all day on a wii or rotting their brains with violence and "unreality" tv, and feeding them skin, bone and guts in fun shapes (chicken nuggets) is the child abuse. HEAR HEAR!

I read a book by Michael Eisner (you know who that is) called CAMP. When asked what was the most influential institution in his life he thought for a moment and answered "Camp." He has been to many ivy league schools etc, but camp was what made him who he is and set the values he holds in the boardrooms in Hollywood and across the world today.
The book demonstrates as well taking two inner city LA kids and sending them to camp in Vermont, and how this whole camp thing can make a difference in these kids lives. He has a foundation from proceeds of the book to send more kids to camps like this (tripping wilderness camps).
Funny I was mentioning this to our guests this morning here from Scotland and their son worked in NH at a camp for three full summers and even met his wife there. There is something to that "roughing it" and pulling your own weight yet being part of a team. :) What is the saying, "High Expectations Are The Key To Everything." I said that to my sister from Ire with the four terrors and she looked at me like a deer in the headlights....
Well, our son worked at a Boy Scout camp in Central TX as a horse wrangler one Summer. He lost 22 lbs (which he didn't really need to lose) and learned what it was like to tend to horses, haul feed, slop pigs, throw hay bales in a hay barn, conduct trail rides, and work hard. Convinced him without a doubt that he wanted a college education. He still talks about how the ranch kids called him "City Boy". He learned a lot.....
Did I worry about him? Sure did. But he actually loved it. He only came home once that Summer and that was because one of the horses died and the camp director sent them home for a couple of days over a weekend when there were no campers. It really hit all the kids hard who were taking care of those animals.
This Summer he's been out in the heat working on houses in North Texas for AmeriCorps. Camp also taught him about service to others. It's a very good thing.....
Samster said:
Well, our son worked at a Boy Scout camp in Central TX as a horse wrangler one Summer. He lost 22 lbs (which he didn't really need to lose) and learned what it was like to tend to horses, haul feed, slop pigs, throw hay bales in a hay barn, conduct trail rides, and work hard. Convinced him without a doubt that he wanted a college education.
bwahahahahahahahaha! Do you know people go to college for degrees in just this field?

Isn't that the truth. My kids did what I did, played outside rode bikes etc...but then it was "Oh no you can't do that? blah blah blah. My sister has three kids one just turned 14-do you think he folds his own laundry? or clean up his room without a huge fight which my sister ends up doing cause she just doesnt want to fight with him? What is she teaching him when he gets out in the big bad world? If you wine enough you get what you want?-YEA RIGHT.
Gosh..do you think our parents talked about us like that? Not likely...you worked for your family for FREE..cause we where a team and it was expected-PERIOD.

Samster said:
Well, our son worked at a Boy Scout camp in Central TX as a horse wrangler one Summer. He lost 22 lbs (which he didn't really need to lose) and learned what it was like to tend to horses, haul feed, slop pigs, throw hay bales in a hay barn, conduct trail rides, and work hard. Convinced him without a doubt that he wanted a college education.
bwahahahahahahahaha! Do you know people go to college for degrees in just this field?
Absolutely....he went to a university in West Texas that is known for those degrees!
regular_smile.gif
He opted to get a Bachelor of Science in Architecture and a Bachelor of Arts in History there. Followed that with a Masters in Architecture from a well known engineering school in the SE.
Yeah, he may have to find work doing what he did in Scout camp....there's not much work out there for Architects right now.
cry_smile.gif

Growing up in the 60's and 70's we were told "Get outside and play" you never came and lounged around inside. Kids were OUTSIDE. Wasn't it fun playing kickball all hours of the night in the summer? We didn't do what our parents did, they worked, they did Parent things. Get your skates on and get outside. That is where the stray kittens were, the fin and games and the adventures!

Yeah that's why I get into trouble all the time. Common sense is not common..
I believe that the opinion of the teacher who phoned with concern about your daughter walking two blocks home was irrational personally, however I believe that your comment ("we should be more worried about her staying after school with a teacher") was offensive & objectionable (former Principal/Teacher).

I don't write the news. Mary Kay LeTourneau was incarcerated near where I used to live. I am sure if you were a principal/teacher you know who she is.

I don't write the news. Mary Kay LeTourneau was incarcerated near where I used to live. I am sure if you were a principal/teacher you know who she is..
that doesn't make your comment ok to say to another teacher

fd, as long as the mom knows her children, knows their limits (and her own), plans accordingly ... you have to trust she will take care of them.
not to say there aren't mistakes made by parents, teachers and coaches. we've had heat stroke and even a few deaths due to extreme heat or extreme to those who are not accustomed to it ... people at outdoor concerts, kids at football camp. it does happen.

Back