I'm sorry, but that is just wrong!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I live in the NE part of the country. We are in a heatwave. Right now its 98 degrees. My lawn is close to dead despite the watering. My point is its HOT.
I have a guest coming here with her 2 children.
They are biking here. They are coming from a town 30 miles away. As if that is bad enough, her youngest one is 7 years old! I think that is abusive.
Its just wrong, in my not so humble opinion. grrrrrr.

If only there were a way to make sure guests don't do stupid things.
Unfortunately, that is something we have little control over. Much as we are forced to watch it again and again.
Guests are often stupid and that's just the way it's going to be. Unless you have very good reason to believe that the children are being abused, not much you can do.
If you do, though, think that children are seriously being put at risk as a result of their parents' bad choices, you can and should call someone about that.
Would I do it over riding a bike 30 miles in hot weather? No, probably not. But I grew up in the heat and am acclimated to it, even decades after leaving it. So my perspective is probably different from yours.
Should you intervene? That's a question only you can answer FD.
But I can tell you that I lived in France during their dreadful heatwave a few years ago. What was the cost of inaction? 15,000 elderly died. That haunts all of us who were there to this day. Always will.

Why should it take a tragedy like that to get peoples attention? That is so terribly sad.
Tomorrow morning at 5 AM she will be taking her children to a Hot Air Balloon outing. That 5 mile ride will be up hill in the dark on a country road. I still don't think that is appropriate for a 7 year old child.

Why should it take a tragedy like that to get peoples attention? That is so terribly sad.
Tomorrow morning at 5 AM she will be taking her children to a Hot Air Balloon outing. That 5 mile ride will be up hill in the dark on a country road. I still don't think that is appropriate for a 7 year old child..
The Farmers Daughter said:
And yet it is completely true. Even as it was happening, it did not occur to me that there were literally lots of people dying every single day. 15,000 by the time it was over.
Sadly, it didn't occur to any of us until it was too late.

I just feel bad for those children. This agenda can't possibly be fun for them..
Well it does not sound fun to me either, but wait till they come...you may find that they love it. As a child and young adult I rode my bike everywhere, and back then - that would have been right up my alley. (Today, I hurt just thinking about it. - I really need to excercise much more. )

If this is their very first trip on bikes, maybe it's a bit over extended. But, maybe they bike everywhere all the time. Maybe the parents have designated stops and the kids know about hydration. Maybe the kid is not even pedaling her own bike but is in tandem or in a carrier. Maybe they have a car following along.
Maybe we just need to let parents parent and stop second-guessing them.

If this is their very first trip on bikes, maybe it's a bit over extended. But, maybe they bike everywhere all the time. Maybe the parents have designated stops and the kids know about hydration. Maybe the kid is not even pedaling her own bike but is in tandem or in a carrier. Maybe they have a car following along.
Maybe we just need to let parents parent and stop second-guessing them..
Morticia said:
You guys are probably right. Since I posted this, I had the opportunity to think back to when I was a kid.
I was fearless, riding horses bareback, jumping over logs in the woods, climbing trees and falling out of them. Going swimming alone.
Yeah....I'm sure they're fine.

Morticia said:
You guys are probably right. Since I posted this, I had the opportunity to think back to when I was a kid.
I was fearless, riding horses bareback, jumping over logs in the woods, climbing trees and falling out of them. Going swimming alone.
We've become a very fearful society. It does help to stop and think what WE all did as kids and take a breath and realize that this hovering parent thing is relatively new and not necessarily going to turn out well in the long run.
A lot of us probably rode our bikes, without helmets or water bottles, 10 or more miles in a day just going 'out' wherever out was when you were a kid.

Morticia said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
You guys are probably right.
Key word is "probably", and you won't know until they arrive.
To paraphrase Reagan, "Trust the mom, but verify that she's taking proper care of her kids."
It's not likely that you'll feel the need for the difficult duty of calling social services, but cross your fingers just in case.
In 1950 this would be nothing, but many 2010 kids are fat and out of shape. I'll bet your soon-to-arrive guests are an exception to this. Good for them!

Most of those on bikes here also trailer them or bring them on their vehicles. So in other words, they are riding, but have a back up plan. Let us know how this turns out...inquiring minds need to know.

We had a horrible heat wave here in the late 90s. We had an inn-to-inn package using a 17 mile rail-trail between us and we has several couples in their 80s booked in for that. We kept expecting cancellations and never had even one. We know families who go biking all the time and an easy day is 50 miles. I would not worry about the kids - not all of today's kids are wimps! Wish I had known about child labor laws when I was having to pick potato bugs, weed, or work the hay fields in 90 degree weather!

I applaud parents who will take their kids on a biking vacation. You can bet they have physically fit kids and a better family relationship for doing these things together in lieu of video games.

Most of those on bikes here also trailer them or bring them on their vehicles. So in other words, they are riding, but have a back up plan. Let us know how this turns out...inquiring minds need to know..
Joey Bloggs said:
Most of those on bikes here also trailer them or bring them on their vehicles. So in other words, they are riding, but have a back up plan. Let us know how this turns out...inquiring minds need to know.
They arrived. Hot, sweaty and late, but all are fine. They have I tandem bike that the mother and the 7 year old are on and the 3rd is an older daughter on her own bike. They seem like they are in good shape. Just hungry and tired. The boy had enough energy to gallop up and down my front stairwell until I had to intervene.
He goes back and forth between door slamming and leaving them wide open.
I suppose he doesn't understand how expensive it is to air condition the front lawn.
rolleyes.gif

We are in the NE and sharing your record breaking temps, but it's really odd because as hot as it is there's not much humidity with it. There's actually a pretty decent breeze, so in the shade it's not half bad, plus on a bike you're making your own breeze so that helps too. I'm betting this family does a lot of biking, for those who are experienced 30 miles in a day is really not that difficult a ride. Hopefully they arrive hot and happy, let us know how it works out!

Geez.............No offense, but..........
Society is babying kids far to much these days.........don't do this or that.......you might get hurt........might be teased.........maybe this or that......constantly thinking of some negative "might" happen.
What do you think folks did 10, 50......100 years ago?
When I was a kid.........could never get us inside, no matter how hot or how cold...........Today.........be hard pressed to see a kid outside playing.
30 mile bike ride is not that big a deal.........I am sure that the mother will be stopping once or twice along the way.....................and I am sure that the kid is conditioned to do that length of a ride..........
When my sister and husband were living in So Cal....I'd go out for 5 weeks in the winter and ride with them........25-30 miles was just a morning ride for them..........some 18 years ago my brother in law had a briliant idea of going to Palm Springs for a 75 mile ride.......102, 103 degrees of dry heat........at about 60 miles..........I was tearing up my knee....................heat, never a problem..........we carried water and scheduled 1 stop, 2 if necessary............
Are we correct in being concerned................yes........................we have to consider that the mother knows what she is doing.

My kids are going to an outdoor camp shortly where they camp outside with the bears and snakes and haul all their own gear - in the heat and bugs. They will go spelunking into the earth, so need to bring jeans and sweatshirts as well for that. One went last year and is chomping at the bit to go again, they both saved every last penny to go this year - we go to the bank right now and withdraw it all.
On the other hand...I won't start on the nephews and nieces here from Ireland, the worst behaved kids in the world. When dinner is served it is a knock em all down to get to the food, adults included. At age 13, 12, 10 and 7 none of them has ever looked at me (their Aunt) when spoken to or even replied when asked a question. I am here to report the record stands...it has not been broken. Yes, they have a full time Dad in their lives and a stay at home mom who has zero interests other than her kids and raising them, I would like to whoop his butt bad.
smileystooges.gif

My kids are going to an outdoor camp shortly where they camp outside with the bears and snakes and haul all their own gear - in the heat and bugs. They will go spelunking into the earth, so need to bring jeans and sweatshirts as well for that. One went last year and is chomping at the bit to go again, they both saved every last penny to go this year - we go to the bank right now and withdraw it all.
On the other hand...I won't start on the nephews and nieces here from Ireland, the worst behaved kids in the world. When dinner is served it is a knock em all down to get to the food, adults included. At age 13, 12, 10 and 7 none of them has ever looked at me (their Aunt) when spoken to or even replied when asked a question. I am here to report the record stands...it has not been broken. Yes, they have a full time Dad in their lives and a stay at home mom who has zero interests other than her kids and raising them, I would like to whoop his butt bad.
smileystooges.gif
Our son has gone on long bike trips, canoe & kayak trips (even where they had to portage canoes and 70 lb backpacks), rock climbing, primitive camping with long day hikes for over a week, etc. when he was a pre-teen & teen. We've done some of that too with groups of kids in the past. I have friends who cycle all the time that think nothing of 50 mile bike trips in one day.
It's all what you're used to doing.....

I read a book by Michael Eisner (you know who that is) called CAMP. When asked what was the most influential institution in his life he thought for a moment and answered "Camp." He has been to many ivy league schools etc, but camp was what made him who he is and set the values he holds in the boardrooms in Hollywood and across the world today.
The book demonstrates as well taking two inner city LA kids and sending them to camp in Vermont, and how this whole camp thing can make a difference in these kids lives. He has a foundation from proceeds of the book to send more kids to camps like this (tripping wilderness camps).
Funny I was mentioning this to our guests this morning here from Scotland and their son worked in NH at a camp for three full summers and even met his wife there. There is something to that "roughing it" and pulling your own weight yet being part of a team. :) What is the saying, "High Expectations Are The Key To Everything." I said that to my sister from Ire with the four terrors and she looked at me like a deer in the headlights...

I read a book by Michael Eisner (you know who that is) called CAMP. When asked what was the most influential institution in his life he thought for a moment and answered "Camp." He has been to many ivy league schools etc, but camp was what made him who he is and set the values he holds in the boardrooms in Hollywood and across the world today.
The book demonstrates as well taking two inner city LA kids and sending them to camp in Vermont, and how this whole camp thing can make a difference in these kids lives. He has a foundation from proceeds of the book to send more kids to camps like this (tripping wilderness camps).
Funny I was mentioning this to our guests this morning here from Scotland and their son worked in NH at a camp for three full summers and even met his wife there. There is something to that "roughing it" and pulling your own weight yet being part of a team. :) What is the saying, "High Expectations Are The Key To Everything." I said that to my sister from Ire with the four terrors and she looked at me like a deer in the headlights....
We camped and canoed with our kids as they grew up and some still love camping. Our #1 granddaughter goes to horse camp. This will be her last year as a camper. Next year she will be a junior counselor and then a counselor. she loves it. For her birthday last year, my daughter took he friends horseback riding for the birthday party. As they started out on the ride, a lightening storm came up and our granddaughter was able to help get the horses under control and back to the barn. Gained a lot of respect from her friends that day for her abilities and knowledge of horses.

Back