I'm sorry. My air conditioners are not installed yet.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am lucky in the UK realistically we have about 7 days a year where it is hot enough to need a fan or AC. We did however when it was an unusually warm summer dash out and buy Fans as it was cheeper than giving people a discount and then you always have them. But it depends if you have space to store them as well and how expensive they are ours were about $5.00 in the sale so it was worth the investment. Have seen the portable AC's for much lower prices on the internet but don't know how effective they are..
Sorry UK but that's not lucky.

I am lucky in the UK realistically we have about 7 days a year where it is hot enough to need a fan or AC. We did however when it was an unusually warm summer dash out and buy Fans as it was cheeper than giving people a discount and then you always have them. But it depends if you have space to store them as well and how expensive they are ours were about $5.00 in the sale so it was worth the investment. Have seen the portable AC's for much lower prices on the internet but don't know how effective they are..
Sorry UK but that's not lucky.
I mean from a AC point of view lol I know they cost a fortune in running costs as well as being expensive to buy.

I agree that we have an obligation to provide comfort, no matter how we do that. If I lost AC, I'd be done and would be looking for alternative accommodations elsewhere for my guests if I could not fix the problem in short order (which is a reason why I educated myself on AC repairs, and purchased guages and a tank of R-22). As bad luck would have it, I am currently contemplating replacing one of my three AC systems - my salon/galley (living room/kitchen) system is giving up the ghost - blowing rust and sometime waters throug the vents. I'm moving away from a refrigerant cooled forced air system to a chilled water system which will be MUCH easier to maintain and troubleshoot when necessary.
Anyway, back to the unexpected flukes in weather, our past winter was a prime example. Here we are in beautiful Miami, and it was COLD all winter long. We don't heat. One morning it was 46° INSIDE. With guests arriving later and no relief from the cold in sight, I had to do the mad scramble to find electric space heaters. Fortunately, I found enough to heat the areas I needed to heat. Finding a space heater in Miami this past winter was like trying to find milk and bread just before an ice storm in the South.

So, I just got back from a mini vacation. And the gods of irony had a field day with me. You may recall my response to the problem of no A/C on an unexpectedly hot day...cut the innkeeper some slack.
It was supposed to be 60 degrees and rainy where we were going and it was 90 and sunny. It was 80 degrees in the room when we arrived at 6 PM. No innkeeper, gone for the day. I wrestled open a window, but it wouldn't stay open. I ended up shoving my eyeglass case in the window to keep it open enough to get a bit of a breeze.
No A/C. But there was a mini desk fan that we ran all night that sounded like a jet plane coming thru the window. Did I mention it? Nope. No way they could have known it was going to be that kind of weather when the reports all said 60 degrees.
I noticed the A/C units outside the building so I guess they have central air, it just wasn't on when we needed it. I probably should have called to ask how to turn the air on but by the time we came back for the night, the outside temp was 50 and the A/C wouldn't have worked properly anyway.

So, I just got back from a mini vacation. And the gods of irony had a field day with me. You may recall my response to the problem of no A/C on an unexpectedly hot day...cut the innkeeper some slack.
It was supposed to be 60 degrees and rainy where we were going and it was 90 and sunny. It was 80 degrees in the room when we arrived at 6 PM. No innkeeper, gone for the day. I wrestled open a window, but it wouldn't stay open. I ended up shoving my eyeglass case in the window to keep it open enough to get a bit of a breeze.
No A/C. But there was a mini desk fan that we ran all night that sounded like a jet plane coming thru the window. Did I mention it? Nope. No way they could have known it was going to be that kind of weather when the reports all said 60 degrees.
I noticed the A/C units outside the building so I guess they have central air, it just wasn't on when we needed it. I probably should have called to ask how to turn the air on but by the time we came back for the night, the outside temp was 50 and the A/C wouldn't have worked properly anyway..
A fine example why Innkeepers should be guests every once in awhile! Thanks for sharing your story.

Got the AC units in today! Weather calls for a cold spell for the next week. Oh well, now I don't have to worry about them for the rest of the summer. Its all good.

Got the AC units in today! Weather calls for a cold spell for the next week. Oh well, now I don't have to worry about them for the rest of the summer. Its all good..
We put ours in today as well even tho it is only in the 50's. See, we learned from both your lesson and our own experience!

Back