I'm sorry. My air conditioners are not installed yet.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Its May 1st. I still have 2 more weeks before I can plant certain flowers because of the potential of frost. That said, no I don't have my airconditioners installed yet. Generally that doesn't happen for at least another month.
The temps today hit 93 degrees. The units are in storage and I can't install them myself.
My guests are complaining and there is nothing I can do about it.
I guess I am just posting this as a vent based on frustration and my neighbors are not helping. We are listening to Led Zeppelin blasting over the fence line.

Do you have any fans you can put in their rooms? You can't control mother nature...sorry...Apologize to the guests and maybe offer a slight discount for the problem if you can. LIke you say...next week we could have frost again. :-(

Ugh. We, too, cannot plant for at least two (maybe 3-4) more weeks, and we, too, have not yet put in the AC in the third floor room (the only room which the whole house air just doesn't get to).
Luckily, it's not 93° here.... bummer for you and my sympathy!
=)
Kk.

We don't plan to install them until the week before Memorial Day. Same thing here with the plants. I won't be doing my window boxes until just before Mothers Day.
I sympathize, believe me. We had 80 degrees on Easter and it was toasty.

What will you do?
How can you deal with guest discomfort? A greater discount?
When we stayed at Black Mountain last year there was no a/c in this room, only a ceiling fan and I nearly barfed from heat exhaustion. I was not accustomed to over 90 degrees like that, it was difficult to handle. When the sun went down, it got cold, so it was one of those odd Fall/or Spring days.

We had a "warm-up" a couple weeks ago so I muscled the A/C units in. It also clears my storage room so I can get to things. It is time for my semi-annual decrap the storage room.
Looks as if I am going to have to do the same with my new storage building. I had put the Christmas displays in it to save me going down to the furnace room with them. DH just bought a new easel and the old one MUST be put into the storage shed until the kids have cycled through to see if anyone wants it (he built it). It is too heavy for me to take upstairs - but I can muscle it out to the shed.....

What will you do?
How can you deal with guest discomfort? A greater discount?
When we stayed at Black Mountain last year there was no a/c in this room, only a ceiling fan and I nearly barfed from heat exhaustion. I was not accustomed to over 90 degrees like that, it was difficult to handle. When the sun went down, it got cold, so it was one of those odd Fall/or Spring days..
We've said, 'Wow it got hot early this year,' and then told guests to open their windows. Just today I was sweltering until around 4 PM when it got cloudy and the temp dropped 15 degrees.
And then, checking the weather, we might have tried to get the A/C installed before the weekend was out. But, this being a weekend where some guests have th heat on and some have the windows open, I don't think we could make everyone happy if it was A/C some were looking for.

One room was squawking like wet hens, so I ended up giving them a lodging voucher to come again. Hopefully it will be sufficient damage control that they don't go trashing me with some online review.

One room was squawking like wet hens, so I ended up giving them a lodging voucher to come again. Hopefully it will be sufficient damage control that they don't go trashing me with some online review..
I am thankful for central air conditioning right now - we had a record high 'low temperature' this morning and will hit the low to mid 90s today. We have found having fans in the rooms helps, even when the ac isn't running - since we don't have individual controls (except opening/shutting the ac vents) it gives guests something they can feel some power over.

Worse than heat is humidity. Another reason to keep the a/c whizzing if you are in a humid climate.

One room was squawking like wet hens, so I ended up giving them a lodging voucher to come again. Hopefully it will be sufficient damage control that they don't go trashing me with some online review..
I am thankful for central air conditioning right now - we had a record high 'low temperature' this morning and will hit the low to mid 90s today. We have found having fans in the rooms helps, even when the ac isn't running - since we don't have individual controls (except opening/shutting the ac vents) it gives guests something they can feel some power over.
muirford said:
We have central a/c and removed all the unique antique ceiling light fixtures and put in ceiling fans. We had to, the reason you state is the reason we did it. If a guest opens a window and it is stinkin' hot outside then the whole upstairs will be hot, this really helps. I use them to air the rooms as well when we have guests with too much cologne etc.

You know, I realize people are paying for an experience, but good grief, open a window, read a book, go to a restaurant, cut the innkeeper some slack. (Remember, I'm the one who always ends up in places with no heat in the winter! And I have never written a bad review online as much as I may gripe here!)
And, yes, I've stayed in Savannah in a place where the heating/cooling unit was in the hallway and the windows didn't open and I was miserable. In January. When it was unexpectedly 80 degrees. I didn't trash the people or expect them to control the weather. Altho it would have been nice if the windows opened.
I do wish that guests would understand we don't control the weather. Not the rain, the snow, the sun, the heat, the freezing temps.

You know, I realize people are paying for an experience, but good grief, open a window, read a book, go to a restaurant, cut the innkeeper some slack. (Remember, I'm the one who always ends up in places with no heat in the winter! And I have never written a bad review online as much as I may gripe here!)
And, yes, I've stayed in Savannah in a place where the heating/cooling unit was in the hallway and the windows didn't open and I was miserable. In January. When it was unexpectedly 80 degrees. I didn't trash the people or expect them to control the weather. Altho it would have been nice if the windows opened.
I do wish that guests would understand we don't control the weather. Not the rain, the snow, the sun, the heat, the freezing temps.
No we don't control the weather, but they do expect their room will have controls for heat / ac....like in a hotel....sorry...we are not a hotel.
If the weather catches you by surprise, you can't lug up the window AC's by yourself. :-(

Morticia said:
You do control the weather, inside your inn, that is part of your job, absolutely. How strange to defend no a/c in hot temps and guests being miserable. People are paying to stay there, you must provide a comfortable experience. I totally disagree with what you said, why do you say 'trash the people' who is trashing, if a guest is uncomfortable it is our job to rectify this situation. If we have no a/c and the temps are in the 90's then we better start refunding their stay.

Morticia said:
You do control the weather, inside your inn, that is part of your job, absolutely. How strange to defend no a/c in hot temps and guests being miserable. People are paying to stay there, you must provide a comfortable experience. I totally disagree with what you said, why do you say 'trash the people' who is trashing, if a guest is uncomfortable it is our job to rectify this situation. If we have no a/c and the temps are in the 90's then we better start refunding their stay.
I have to agree with JB on this one. If you are charging the same price or more than a quality motel/hotel, the guests expect their room to be comfortable, no matter what time of the year it is. This could be a big reason why people choose to stay at a hotel rather than a B&Bs. If your rates are very low, then I think people are more understanding.
I know it's common practice to remove the air conditioners in the cooler months, but I don't really understand why. Why not leave them in all year?
I'm fortunate that I live in an area where we don't need air conditioning, but if this same house (which is very old) were located in an area where we needed it, I would install the split systems.
I know these comments may sound harsh to some, but the reality is that it's not just your home, people pay to stay.

Morticia said:
FD was concerned about being trashed online if she didn't give them a free stay.
Still, weather takes us by surprise and unless a B&B allows the guest to have complete control over their room's temps, no one can say that the guest won't complain that it was too hot or too cold, no matter what we do. (I will grant that making an attempt by providing a fan might go a long way to mitigating the grumpiness.)
When it's a one day phenom, like this was (I'm guessing), the guest should cut the innkeeper some slack.
I've gotten grief over not having the fireplaces running in August. Tough. August is not fireplace season. May is not A/C season (here anyway). The A/C isn't in. Had I gotten the whinging that FD got I would have refunded them their money and told them to go to a hotel. No 'come again and stay free next time.' More like, 'sorry we weren't prepared for this fluke in the weather, your comfort is extremely important to us, so we've found you accommodations elsewhere.'
If it is an ongoing problem with heat/air, the B&B should shut their doors until it is fixed. But weather happens and most of us can't flip a switch and magically make it 'hot' or 'cold' at a time when experiencing unusual weather.
See, I'm not talking about not being prepared in season. I'm talking about flukes in the weather. 40 degrees in August. 80 in April. For me, these are weather flukes. And I wouldn't run to put the A/C in in April for a one day fluke knowing it could snow (and did) the next week.

Morticia said:
I have to agree with JB on this one. If you are charging the same price or more than a quality motel/hotel, the guests expect their room to be comfortable, no matter what time of the year it is. This could be a big reason why people choose to stay at a hotel rather than a B&Bs. If your rates are very low, then I think people are more understanding.
I know it's common practice to remove the air conditioners in the cooler months, but I don't really understand why. Why not leave them in all year?
I'm fortunate that I live in an area where we don't need air conditioning, but if this same house (which is very old) were located in an area where we needed it, I would install the split systems.
I know these comments may sound harsh to some, but the reality is that it's not just your home, people pay to stay.
We remove the A/C units because the heat loss in the winter is astronomical.

Morticia said:
I understand what you mean. A one day fluke in the weather ....nothing an innkeeper can do except apologize and do the best you can. If you have a place that uses in room window air conditioners....it is a big job for most to get these installed and can't be done on a minutes notice.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Heat loss. And they're ugly.
=)
Kk.

Back