I'm starting to hate phone reservations.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Proud Texan said:
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Unfortunately, with the cost of living going crazy, we have not been able to raise our rates for a long time, really since we bought this place. I did raise one room $5. So you have to make the call. Like I said, when I had it $10 per night, it was giving away money vs a simple $10 to book online. Our elderly people will book online to save that $10! Youbetchya. Everyone is online now, so it is easy.
I did raise my rates last year - first time since 08 - and business this year was better than ever. NO ONE (other than the usual lookie- loos that are looking for a $50 room and think THAT is expensive) hesitated to book. Raise your rates - you are a bargain at the raised rates!!

I just flat out lie to them! I've been doing this for a few months now and it's working great. I tell them I'm not in my office and won't be for several hours. Most of the time they are already on my website, so I tell them to just put through the online reservation and it will take that room out of inventory immediately so no one else can book that room. "I would sure hate for someone to snatch that room up from you!"
I've also started using auth.net, so when they make the online reservation their card is immediately charged and I no longer have to do a separate deposit and follow up on them if their card is bad.
It's been working well this way.

I just flat out lie to them! I've been doing this for a few months now and it's working great. I tell them I'm not in my office and won't be for several hours. Most of the time they are already on my website, so I tell them to just put through the online reservation and it will take that room out of inventory immediately so no one else can book that room. "I would sure hate for someone to snatch that room up from you!"
I've also started using auth.net, so when they make the online reservation their card is immediately charged and I no longer have to do a separate deposit and follow up on them if their card is bad.
It's been working well this way..
Love it!
regular_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Still at 50% online vs on the phone. No rhyme or reason. Not everyone who calls wants something, I get plenty of online bookings asking for a discount.
I get a lot of repeat guests who just call and leave a msg telling me what dates they want. Or last minute calls. Or they tell me their dates for next year on their way out the door. One person who reserves several rooms for multiple nights wants me to handle the reservations rather than entering everything over and over. (Yes, that is something that needs to be fixed! Reserve multiple rooms without putting all the info in again.)
A lot of whole house calls wanting to know if we can do that or not. How does it work? What's included? Things like that. I'm glad they call rather than just booking every room and I haven't had a chance to explain things to them.
I was surprised when I just looked that up. I thought we had definitely gone over to more online bookings.
I have to say that I think MOST of the phone callers are looking at the website and the calendar when they call but too many of them have been burned by places that only do 'room requests'. And they find out a day later there weren't any rooms available even tho they showed open online. So, once bitten twice shy and they call me instead of waiting another day to find out no rooms.
There is a lot of that in this area- request only types of systems.
Madeleine said:
I have to say that I think MOST of the phone callers are looking at the website and the calendar when they call but too many of them have been burned by places that only do 'room requests'. And they find out a day later there weren't any rooms available even tho they showed open online. So, once bitten twice shy and they call me instead of waiting another day to find out no rooms.
We have that happen. Guests are leery. They call to make sure that they truly have a room. And then, of course, there's the slightly older crowd who doesn't know what to make of this newfangled "interweb" ;)

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Still at 50% online vs on the phone. No rhyme or reason. Not everyone who calls wants something, I get plenty of online bookings asking for a discount.
I get a lot of repeat guests who just call and leave a msg telling me what dates they want. Or last minute calls. Or they tell me their dates for next year on their way out the door. One person who reserves several rooms for multiple nights wants me to handle the reservations rather than entering everything over and over. (Yes, that is something that needs to be fixed! Reserve multiple rooms without putting all the info in again.)
A lot of whole house calls wanting to know if we can do that or not. How does it work? What's included? Things like that. I'm glad they call rather than just booking every room and I haven't had a chance to explain things to them.
I was surprised when I just looked that up. I thought we had definitely gone over to more online bookings.
If it were a request only system I would call too. I don't get that, who the heck wants to wait around... planning a trip is like an orchestra sometimes, with flights, times off work, lodging, events, etc. You need to have those ducks in a row, and if you can't book it right now, then you have to call it right now.
exactly Joey.
And since I now am using reservationkey - I am in heavennnnnnn

We have a standardized 'script' that we go over. It includes the cancellation policy, the check-in policy and the breakfast info.
Of course it doesn't stop anyone from showing up hours early, but we know that they were told so we let them know they are early, sorry, the rooms aren't ready. I hate it. Absolutely. I feel SO incredibly ungracious but I liken it to showing up 3 hours early for a dinner party. The host of the party is likely not even dressed yet and will be VERY unhappy to see them at the door..
Very true with the early check-ins. I have been traveling around various websites and found a new trend: An early check-in fee. And also a late check-out fee.
They actually let you "purchase" that at the time of booking. I love it. People are forever showing up early and then they stare you down until you're finally finished with their cottage.
One time after I hurried to let someone move in early he marched back to the office with my Windex bottle in hand complaining about finding it in his bathroom
angry_smile.gif

We have a standardized 'script' that we go over. It includes the cancellation policy, the check-in policy and the breakfast info.
Of course it doesn't stop anyone from showing up hours early, but we know that they were told so we let them know they are early, sorry, the rooms aren't ready. I hate it. Absolutely. I feel SO incredibly ungracious but I liken it to showing up 3 hours early for a dinner party. The host of the party is likely not even dressed yet and will be VERY unhappy to see them at the door..
Very true with the early check-ins. I have been traveling around various websites and found a new trend: An early check-in fee. And also a late check-out fee.
They actually let you "purchase" that at the time of booking. I love it. People are forever showing up early and then they stare you down until you're finally finished with their cottage.
One time after I hurried to let someone move in early he marched back to the office with my Windex bottle in hand complaining about finding it in his bathroom
angry_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
angry_smile.gif
Another reason I hate early arrivals. I need the time to do that one last check. And clean up the cleaning supplies!
I think with the new train service coming to town having an early check-in fee will work out. There's no place to leave the luggage at noon. So they show up here and want a place to store the bags and a bathroom.

I think it's our old friend Riki who ONLY takes reservations via the website, and she loves it that way. It may be that eliminating the crowd who can't/won't do it online will eliminate a lot of folks who require extra attention, and that's fine with me!
My vacation rental apartments (hopefully opening in a couple of months*) will only take online reservations. Time will tell how that will work out!
"I think it's our old friend Riki who ONLY takes reservations via the website, and she loves it that way. It may be that eliminating the crowd who can't/won't do it online will eliminate a lot of folks who require extra attention, and that's fine with me!"
Yes I do require that they make the booking online. But I'm in Virginia Wine Country and can pretty much force them to do it. But my demographic is online and I've only had two bookings where I had to fill out the form and email it to the guest and the last time was because she could not get her iPad to work and was on the road.
Plus Availabilityonline now has a note at the bottom of every reservation indicating not only that the guest has checked off that they understand the cancellation policy but the exact date and time they did so. Love that feature.
We try and stay off the phone as it's always last minute calls (today, Friday, for rooms this weekend and wine tours for tomorrow..)
Riki

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
I don't hate answering the phone. It's potential guests NOT reading ANYTHING on the website, especially the policies. Then they b itch and moan because they we tell them no for whatever ridiculous request they happen to make.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
I don't hate answering the phone. It's potential guests NOT reading ANYTHING on the website, especially the policies. Then they b itch and moan because they we tell them no for whatever ridiculous request they happen to make.
Proud Texan said:
I mentioned the 50% of guests who book online here. It does not stop them from calling when they get their confirmation and then requesting a bazillion different things we didn't sign up for. Because now we have their money and now they want special food and different check-in times and who knows what.
Or, not ask for it in advance and just show up and think it is no big deal...case in point...one room showed up today, bags in hand at 11:30 wanting to check-in. The guests in the room the night before had barely gone out the door. Now she needs a place to put the bags down. And a place to sit herself down to call all her friends who are meeting her here. All what friends? Well, they all showed up. 4 cars. One room. Did she ask if there was room for 4 cars? No. Did she care that there isn't room for 4 cars from one room? No. She just expected us to suck it up. 'Where do you expect them to park? We're meeting HERE. We're having drinks HERE. You want them to park downtown and WALK here? <sigh><eye roll>'
Obviously she's the only guest here so what's the big deal with taking half of the parking spaces.
Another room showed up at noon yesterday, same case of bags in hand. No car. Taxi dropped them off. Taxi wasn't coming back to get them until 6 PM today. No problem storing our bags right here is there? Of course not. No problem answering the door throughout the day as they came back to drop off stuff and change their clothes, right? Of course not.
It's not the callers who create the havoc, it's the ones who just show up and fling it in your face.
Countdown to vacation...3 more wakeups.

Meant for egoodell
Under "Our Policies", a typo:
"ten daysor more"

I think it's our old friend Riki who ONLY takes reservations via the website, and she loves it that way. It may be that eliminating the crowd who can't/won't do it online will eliminate a lot of folks who require extra attention, and that's fine with me!
My vacation rental apartments (hopefully opening in a couple of months*) will only take online reservations. Time will tell how that will work out!

So, that is the thing. Do you all remember the guy who was BEGGING to stay here without a credit card? I am not sure if I shared it, he was a maniac. He called and emailed 15 times, and I told DH (as I was out of town) that good he dodged a bullet this time.
Then he finally went a bought a credit card from stuffmart and loaded money into it (which is easily done) and ended up here that weekend. He was a very small man, with a tall lanky woman, and he would hold her hand and kiss it at the table, like a love struck school boy. It was odd, he was odd, but in the end he was no more trouble. ONCE HE GOT THE DANG BOOKING ONLINE DONE!
Joey Bloggs said:
Can't wait to see the finished product. Perhaps a road trip is in order!
Talk about pressure! Hold off till I figure out WHO is going to flip the apartments and handle minor maintenance when I can't get there in time. That's the one detail I've kind of put out of mind all these months, thinking I'll handle that when the time comes. Well, the time has come!
I talked to my friends who own the local Days Inn about using their staff and paying the hotel enough to cover the staff plus a profit for the hotel. They liked the idea but never got back to me, which I take as a hint that they'd rather not do it.
What I need is a good 65-ish retired couple who can handle things on short notice and on no regular schedule. There's also the local "temp" employment agency that might come through for me. Ah, the pressure!

It's been working well this way..
That's funny! I do the same thing! I then have to go to Church on Sundays and ask for forgiveness for lies I told during the week! Unless its the day of, I never take reservations over the phone anymore. I tell them for the protection of their identity, we only take online reservations. This way no one can view your credit card. People seem to like that when I say that.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
I mentioned the 50% of guests who book online here. It does not stop them from calling when they get their confirmation and then requesting a bazillion different things we didn't sign up for. Because now we have their money and now they want special food and different check-in times and who knows what.
Or, not ask for it in advance and just show up and think it is no big deal...case in point...one room showed up today, bags in hand at 11:30 wanting to check-in. The guests in the room the night before had barely gone out the door. Now she needs a place to put the bags down. And a place to sit herself down to call all her friends who are meeting her here. All what friends? Well, they all showed up. 4 cars. One room. Did she ask if there was room for 4 cars? No. Did she care that there isn't room for 4 cars from one room? No. She just expected us to suck it up. 'Where do you expect them to park? We're meeting HERE. We're having drinks HERE. You want them to park downtown and WALK here? <sigh><eye roll>'
Obviously she's the only guest here so what's the big deal with taking half of the parking spaces.
Another room showed up at noon yesterday, same case of bags in hand. No car. Taxi dropped them off. Taxi wasn't coming back to get them until 6 PM today. No problem storing our bags right here is there? Of course not. No problem answering the door throughout the day as they came back to drop off stuff and change their clothes, right? Of course not.
It's not the callers who create the havoc, it's the ones who just show up and fling it in your face.
Guests of guests have become a REAL problem for us this year. I'm amazed that people think it's acceptable to invite friends/family to meet HERE and then let them in to use their bathroom, eat our cookies, take up all the common area seating. This is getting added to our policies this year, and frankly I do feel it is a liability issue. Registered guests ONLY on our grounds and in the house.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Guests of guests have become a REAL problem for us this year. I'm amazed that people think it's acceptable to invite friends/family to meet HERE and then let them in to use their bathroom, eat our cookies, take up all the common area seating. This is getting added to our policies this year, and frankly I do feel it is a liability issue. Registered guests ONLY on our grounds and in the house.
Don Draper said:
I hear ya. I have a sign I put out in the foyer whenever I get this happening, as some people do not lock their doors and feel it is just fine and dandy, but when there are UNREGISTERED guests here, who the heck knows who is in the place roaming around, and those are the one who roam!

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
We've been handling this case by case. Had they decided to hang around before check-in I would have shooed them out the door. When they all returned later they went right to her room.
But, yes, it's a lot more wear and tear than we signed up for. Both on the property and on me! I should check with our insurance agent to find out about problems with 'guests of guests'.
One of the local hotels used to allow locals to swim in the pool. They stopped that. I don't know if it was a liability issue or they just got tired of the kids showing up after school unescorted.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
Boy I hear ya! Some think they can have a social gathering here & last Dec. we had 1 room have a Christmas get together here (they knew we were going to be gone during the day for our son's MBA grad.). What they did not know was that our daughter was going to come by to check on the place. Low and behold she walked in on the party. I don't know who was more surprised. Other than the garbage can being overfilled with loose party stuff I would not have known except for daughter. They said not a word. Most of the time a guest asks if they can have someone stop over. ASKING goes a long way with me, I don't mind a couple joining guests for a drink or so before going to dinner or after. Parties are another story, I rent space for that!

If there is going to be a situation or damages from a guest, nine out of ten times it is from a phone reservation. They are the worse! A worse scenario is a phone reservation and demands to pay in cash, usually I refuse these people entrance. No CC on file no bed for you!

Back