I'm starting to hate phone reservations.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Proud Texan said:
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.
I don't hate answering the phone. It's potential guests NOT reading ANYTHING on the website, especially the policies. Then they b itch and moan because they we tell them no for whatever ridiculous request they happen to make.
Proud Texan said:
I don't hate answering the phone. It's potential guests NOT reading ANYTHING on the website, especially the policies. Then they b itch and moan because they we tell them no for whatever ridiculous request they happen to make.
I mentioned the 50% of guests who book online here. It does not stop them from calling when they get their confirmation and then requesting a bazillion different things we didn't sign up for. Because now we have their money and now they want special food and different check-in times and who knows what.
Or, not ask for it in advance and just show up and think it is no big deal...case in point...one room showed up today, bags in hand at 11:30 wanting to check-in. The guests in the room the night before had barely gone out the door. Now she needs a place to put the bags down. And a place to sit herself down to call all her friends who are meeting her here. All what friends? Well, they all showed up. 4 cars. One room. Did she ask if there was room for 4 cars? No. Did she care that there isn't room for 4 cars from one room? No. She just expected us to suck it up. 'Where do you expect them to park? We're meeting HERE. We're having drinks HERE. You want them to park downtown and WALK here? <sigh><eye roll>'
Obviously she's the only guest here so what's the big deal with taking half of the parking spaces.
Another room showed up at noon yesterday, same case of bags in hand. No car. Taxi dropped them off. Taxi wasn't coming back to get them until 6 PM today. No problem storing our bags right here is there? Of course not. No problem answering the door throughout the day as they came back to drop off stuff and change their clothes, right? Of course not.
It's not the callers who create the havoc, it's the ones who just show up and fling it in your face.
Countdown to vacation...3 more wakeups.
Guests of guests have become a REAL problem for us this year. I'm amazed that people think it's acceptable to invite friends/family to meet HERE and then let them in to use their bathroom, eat our cookies, take up all the common area seating. This is getting added to our policies this year, and frankly I do feel it is a liability issue. Registered guests ONLY on our grounds and in the house.
Its definitely a liability and more important its your home. Best thing I ever did was install the Schlage door locks that are a keypad. I change the code often and the best part within five seconds of a guest punching in the code the door re-locks. These locks have been great! We don't find strangers walking around our home anymore and the comfort from making it more secure is pure heaven.
If we know a guest is here visiting family we try to always invite the relatives to our home for breakfast. This gets the local population into the home and seems to help promote the business on a local level. I do limit it to two guest however. Most guest usually appreciate it and want to offset you for the cost of breakfast.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
I mentioned the 50% of guests who book online here. It does not stop them from calling when they get their confirmation and then requesting a bazillion different things we didn't sign up for. Because now we have their money and now they want special food and different check-in times and who knows what.
Or, not ask for it in advance and just show up and think it is no big deal...case in point...one room showed up today, bags in hand at 11:30 wanting to check-in. The guests in the room the night before had barely gone out the door. Now she needs a place to put the bags down. And a place to sit herself down to call all her friends who are meeting her here. All what friends? Well, they all showed up. 4 cars. One room. Did she ask if there was room for 4 cars? No. Did she care that there isn't room for 4 cars from one room? No. She just expected us to suck it up. 'Where do you expect them to park? We're meeting HERE. We're having drinks HERE. You want them to park downtown and WALK here? <sigh><eye roll>'
Obviously she's the only guest here so what's the big deal with taking half of the parking spaces.
Another room showed up at noon yesterday, same case of bags in hand. No car. Taxi dropped them off. Taxi wasn't coming back to get them until 6 PM today. No problem storing our bags right here is there? Of course not. No problem answering the door throughout the day as they came back to drop off stuff and change their clothes, right? Of course not.
It's not the callers who create the havoc, it's the ones who just show up and fling it in your face.
Guests of guests have become a REAL problem for us this year. I'm amazed that people think it's acceptable to invite friends/family to meet HERE and then let them in to use their bathroom, eat our cookies, take up all the common area seating. This is getting added to our policies this year, and frankly I do feel it is a liability issue. Registered guests ONLY on our grounds and in the house.
Don Draper said:
Boy I hear ya! Some think they can have a social gathering here & last Dec. we had 1 room have a Christmas get together here (they knew we were going to be gone during the day for our son's MBA grad.). What they did not know was that our daughter was going to come by to check on the place. Low and behold she walked in on the party. I don't know who was more surprised. Other than the garbage can being overfilled with loose party stuff I would not have known except for daughter. They said not a word. Most of the time a guest asks if they can have someone stop over. ASKING goes a long way with me, I don't mind a couple joining guests for a drink or so before going to dinner or after. Parties are another story, I rent space for that!
I am with you its all about asking - have a group of ladies - just booked yesterday for next april and as part of the deal as they have booked the whole house is (and the asked very politely) if there was any chance of using the lounge area for a wine tasting? they would bring all their own stuff (we aren't licensed so its no money off us) agreed as they have booked the whole place - but its the polite asking that matters to me!

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
Boy I hear ya! Some think they can have a social gathering here & last Dec. we had 1 room have a Christmas get together here (they knew we were going to be gone during the day for our son's MBA grad.). What they did not know was that our daughter was going to come by to check on the place. Low and behold she walked in on the party. I don't know who was more surprised. Other than the garbage can being overfilled with loose party stuff I would not have known except for daughter. They said not a word. Most of the time a guest asks if they can have someone stop over. ASKING goes a long way with me, I don't mind a couple joining guests for a drink or so before going to dinner or after. Parties are another story, I rent space for that!
Just...WOW! That someone would think this is ok, it just blow me away. So sneaky too, doing it at a time when they knew you would be away. This is also why I detest when guests ask "So how many people are staying here tonight?" "So, do you live here too?" Why, what are you planning to do that you know you SHOULDN'T???

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
OK...I've got to chime in here. And maybe be a bit of the devil's advocate... (a disclaimer, though, that I really have no idea how much of an issue this might be for anyone but me, but this is how I look at it)
Guests of guests? Where are they staying? Could they be potential guests, too? Is a few cookies and some 'looky-loos' too much to pay for the opportunity to impress others who might book their next stay in the area with you? Even if these guests are locals, isn't it reasonable to assume that they might just be more likely to recommend your place to their out-of-town friends or business associates if they've seen/experienced it?
Liability issue?? Technically, you owe them less of a duty since they are secondary invitees, not paying customers, but you're covered regardless (I was an insurance adjuster in my previous life). I don't think they would fall into the 'trespasser' category, though.
wink_smile.gif

Just a couple of issues to consider. I know we are NOT a hotel, but we're always trying to remind the public that we offer so much more! Guests of guests are welcome at hotels. Can't have it both ways.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Its definitely a liability and more important its your home. Best thing I ever did was install the Schlage door locks that are a keypad. I change the code often and the best part within five seconds of a guest punching in the code the door re-locks. These locks have been great! We don't find strangers walking around our home anymore and the comfort from making it more secure is pure heaven.
If we know a guest is here visiting family we try to always invite the relatives to our home for breakfast. This gets the local population into the home and seems to help promote the business on a local level. I do limit it to two guest however. Most guest usually appreciate it and want to offset you for the cost of breakfast.
Steven James said:
We have this as well. It doesn't, however, stop someone on the inside from opening the door to their friends and family or telling them the code so they can let themselves in (we've had that happen). SO, my solution is to have a different code for every guest which gets deleted at 11 AM day of check out. This doesn't stop guests from telling everyone the code but it does make the problem go away when that guest goes away.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
Just...WOW! That someone would think this is ok, it just blow me away. So sneaky too, doing it at a time when they knew you would be away. This is also why I detest when guests ask "So how many people are staying here tonight?" "So, do you live here too?" Why, what are you planning to do that you know you SHOULDN'T???
Don Draper said:
Just last week we had that. Guests had wanted to book the whole house but then couldn't get enough friends to come along. They ended up being the only people here and I locked every other room. Didn't stop them from going in the kitchen. Even with signage.
But whenever a group asks if we're full I wonder if they're going to wander so I lock everything.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
OK...I've got to chime in here. And maybe be a bit of the devil's advocate... (a disclaimer, though, that I really have no idea how much of an issue this might be for anyone but me, but this is how I look at it)
Guests of guests? Where are they staying? Could they be potential guests, too? Is a few cookies and some 'looky-loos' too much to pay for the opportunity to impress others who might book their next stay in the area with you? Even if these guests are locals, isn't it reasonable to assume that they might just be more likely to recommend your place to their out-of-town friends or business associates if they've seen/experienced it?
Liability issue?? Technically, you owe them less of a duty since they are secondary invitees, not paying customers, but you're covered regardless (I was an insurance adjuster in my previous life). I don't think they would fall into the 'trespasser' category, though.
wink_smile.gif

Just a couple of issues to consider. I know we are NOT a hotel, but we're always trying to remind the public that we offer so much more! Guests of guests are welcome at hotels. Can't have it both ways.
The problem here is when the guests and their guests take over the little bit of room we have for everyone to share. We had a group here one weekend who were out on the porch drinking, helping themselves to coffee & tea & snacks. I hadn't checked them in so I didn't know which rooms they had. I greeted them and asked how things were going and they said they were waiting for their friends and they were all headed out for dinner.
OK so far as I HAD checked in their friends. Off I went into town. And there were the friends. In town shopping. And none of the people on the porch were actually staying with us! DH hadn't checked them in either. They were told by their friends to just come over and 'help themselves'.
We ended up with bottles all over the porch, butts in the shrubs and all of our snacks gone (ALL, meaning none left for the people who hadn't even arrived yet). Our porch looked like a frat house.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
wink_smile.gif

What we get here are friends of guests staying at other (read: CHEAPER) properties in town, not potential guests for us. Either that or guests from out of state whose families live close to our location and they all decide to meet up here. Why should I take a hit on my insurance policy when one of these folks drinks too much and falls down the steps? No way.
Plus, anyone rude enough to come into someone's house and help themselves to all the amenities uninvited are just not someone I'd want staying here in the first place.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
wink_smile.gif

The problem here is when the guests and their guests take over the little bit of room we have for everyone to share. We had a group here one weekend who were out on the porch drinking, helping themselves to coffee & tea & snacks. I hadn't checked them in so I didn't know which rooms they had. I greeted them and asked how things were going and they said they were waiting for their friends and they were all headed out for dinner.
OK so far as I HAD checked in their friends. Off I went into town. And there were the friends. In town shopping. And none of the people on the porch were actually staying with us! DH hadn't checked them in either. They were told by their friends to just come over and 'help themselves'.
We ended up with bottles all over the porch, butts in the shrubs and all of our snacks gone (ALL, meaning none left for the people who hadn't even arrived yet). Our porch looked like a frat house.
When it happens this is what we get too. Just RUDE and unbelievable to me.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
Just last week we had that. Guests had wanted to book the whole house but then couldn't get enough friends to come along. They ended up being the only people here and I locked every other room. Didn't stop them from going in the kitchen. Even with signage.
But whenever a group asks if we're full I wonder if they're going to wander so I lock everything.
Groups....I hated groups. They just feel entitled and take over. Thank goodness it didn't happen that often.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
wink_smile.gif

I do not consider them "potential guests" either. I have been here 17 years now. Locals have had more than a few chances to "see" what we look like. I have done tours several times with the $1 donation at the door going to the Lord's Pantry. There is more parking around me than Carter has pills although it does not belong to me, BUT I do not have any "common area" other than my dining room and my front porch. My porch was so clogged with bodies you had to climb over someone's legs to get into the house - that was OK because they were all guests. One time it was the family of our minister that were here for the wedding of one of his daughters - that was OK because they had 2 of my rooms and because it was his family. But if it was one room clogging everything up, I would not be happy. There are restaurants in town for that kind of thing (and even a couple bars). They are staying with me already or they are not and will not be in the future.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
Had a situation like this with my neighbour he went ballistic and was right to - woman comes to check into a single room with 2 children - tells him the children are staying with a friend ie not with them and only the woman will be staying - come breakfast time she comes down with the two children! He said and what if there was a fire and you were renedred unconscious we wouldn't know to get your children out and they could die of smoke inhilation!

I really like the idea of an "early check-in" fee. We are in a resort area, and it's remarkable how many weddings occur at 4 p.m., our check-in time. So we have been getting more and more requests for early check-in.
If we can accommodate them, we will. But it can bollux our shopping--as well as our cleaning--schedule.
Thanks for the idea.
Tom

I really like the idea of an "early check-in" fee. We are in a resort area, and it's remarkable how many weddings occur at 4 p.m., our check-in time. So we have been getting more and more requests for early check-in.
If we can accommodate them, we will. But it can bollux our shopping--as well as our cleaning--schedule.
Thanks for the idea.
Tom.
Almost all weddings here are at 4 and we get the same thing. 'Have to be there at 1 to get dressed!!!' And then don't show up until after the wedding.

Very interesting post! Many of the b&bs and Inns I work with are against online bookings as they want to "talk to the person" and make a decision themselves.
ProudTexan, you are actually giving a great example of what could happen when the guest isn't educated about your property. I will make sure I remember to show this thread to the Inn owners who don't want to use online booking!
Cheers
Fabie

Very interesting post! Many of the b&bs and Inns I work with are against online bookings as they want to "talk to the person" and make a decision themselves.
ProudTexan, you are actually giving a great example of what could happen when the guest isn't educated about your property. I will make sure I remember to show this thread to the Inn owners who don't want to use online booking!
Cheers
Fabie.
I love B&Bs that insist on telephone calls or use booking requests...
By the time they answer the call or send back the email, my customer has already filled in the form themselves and has a confirmation in their email.
I live in a VERY competitive LARGE city and only three of the top 15 B&Bs have online booking.

Cheers
Fabie.
Love it Eric!!! True, keep your competitive advantage!!
ps: thanks for the comment :)

Cheers
Fabie.
Personally id be dead in the water if i didn't have online booking - sounds harsh and you may want to talk to a customer - they don't want to talk to you - its that simple. The only ones who do want a discount, exception, PITA or dog its that simple.
It also means you are cutting yourself off from the international market which is potentially more lucrative as they stay longer because they don't wan't to ring you at 2am so as to work out the time difference.

Cheers
Fabie.
Personally id be dead in the water if i didn't have online booking - sounds harsh and you may want to talk to a customer - they don't want to talk to you - its that simple. The only ones who do want a discount, exception, PITA or dog its that simple.
It also means you are cutting yourself off from the international market which is potentially more lucrative as they stay longer because they don't wan't to ring you at 2am so as to work out the time difference.
This is such GOOD advice! And the Gen X and Gen Y people want to do things for themselves!! Like it or not, these are our up and coming market.

thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Now that you mention it, it was someone who booked by telephone who was a real PITA! She was disappointed that I had a job outside the home and would not be able to give her breakfast earlier than 8AM, Surely guests didn't come first!!! She wanted a lot of little things I couldn't provide and was just plain p i s s y throughout. Pick, pick, pick, once she realized she couldn't have an early breakfast when the website clearly stated breakfast times. This was the one who canceled the day of the snowstorm and rebooked 3 months later. Someone had given her a gift certificate so she didn't even pay for the room herself. (directly)

Back