I'm starting to hate phone reservations.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Since I switched to Rezovation GT, my phone reservations have been drastically reduced! I LOVE THAT!!
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
We use Reservation Key and a large percentage of our reservations are online without problem or incident. There are a few technophobes out there though that refuse to do a transaction online. I'm guessing that they're afraid that their credit card transaction will not be secure.
I may just have to artificially jack up my prices so that there is a "discount" for booking online.
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
DUDE! GO FER IT! That is what I did, $10 off to book online, as well as these other innmates here, it works EVERY TIME. Not per night, but to book online. I did per night the first couple years, and it made no different and I save $ by a one time book online save $10.
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Proud Texan said:
I see how you did that with the "BookOnline" discount code, but how did you figure out how much to raise your rates in order for that to work?
At present, our rates are very competitive and in line with our local market. I'm a little squeamish about artificially raising our rates so I can subtract $10 from the total. For multi-night stays, I would be charging higher than the market rate for my rooms.
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Try it for a month or two to see how it goes. Do you have seasonal rates or the same rate year round? If you have seasonal rates just don't lower your rates by that much.
I test drove the $10 online booking deal in the spring. But I did $10 off per night for booking online.
OTOH, if you truly hate answering the phone, $10 may be the price you have to pay. Keep your rates the same but don't have to answer the phone.
I don't hate answering the phone. It's potential guests NOT reading ANYTHING on the website, especially the policies. Then they b itch and moan because they we tell them no for whatever ridiculous request they happen to make.
Now that you mention it, it was someone who booked by telephone who was a real PITA! She was disappointed that I had a job outside the home and would not be able to give her breakfast earlier than 8AM, Surely guests didn't come first!!! She wanted a lot of little things I couldn't provide and was just plain p i s s y throughout. Pick, pick, pick, once she realized she couldn't have an early breakfast when the website clearly stated breakfast times. This was the one who canceled the day of the snowstorm and rebooked 3 months later. Someone had given her a gift certificate so she didn't even pay for the room herself. (directly)
Why is it that they wait to let us know they need something we can't provide? I got a phone call today from someone wanting a room for tonight. She needed 2 beds. We have that. She needed first floor. We have that. I am halfway thru the reservation and she says, 'You are pet friendly, right?'
Bless her pointed little head. She was SO clear about needing 2 beds and first floor but totally forgot to ask if Fluffy could stay in that room.
Glad she did ask before she showed up. She was upset that even if we were still taking dogs we only had one room. 'ONE ROOM? That's it?'

Please amend the original topic heading to "I'm beginning to hate people who make reservations"
Couple arrives today for a two-night stay having made their reservation online. ResKey requires that they check a box stating that they have read our policies. It was checked.
A confirmation is sent. Attached to this confirmation is a copy of explicit directions and OUR POLICIES.
The arrive one hour before check-in time WITH A FRIGGIN DOG. We say at least three places on our website NO PETS and it is specified in bold face type on the copy that's sent with the confirmation.
We state that if you arrive with a pet, you will be turned away and forfeit your full reservation. We also state that you are not allowed to keep your pet in the car overnight.
I hate having to be the bad cop and enforce the policies, but at least they acknowledged that they had not read the policies and we were able to arrange for them to board their dog with a local vet. I'm just hoping this does not turn into a very tense two days.
I did call the vet and verified that the dog was indeed boarded in case they thought about sneaking it in.

Please amend the original topic heading to "I'm beginning to hate people who make reservations"
Couple arrives today for a two-night stay having made their reservation online. ResKey requires that they check a box stating that they have read our policies. It was checked.
A confirmation is sent. Attached to this confirmation is a copy of explicit directions and OUR POLICIES.
The arrive one hour before check-in time WITH A FRIGGIN DOG. We say at least three places on our website NO PETS and it is specified in bold face type on the copy that's sent with the confirmation.
We state that if you arrive with a pet, you will be turned away and forfeit your full reservation. We also state that you are not allowed to keep your pet in the car overnight.
I hate having to be the bad cop and enforce the policies, but at least they acknowledged that they had not read the policies and we were able to arrange for them to board their dog with a local vet. I'm just hoping this does not turn into a very tense two days.
I did call the vet and verified that the dog was indeed boarded in case they thought about sneaking it in..
I also have no pets on the web site. Had an inquiry via email for people coming with a horse - oh and by the way we have 2 small dogs (7 lbs and 15 lbs) can they stay in the room with us.
I replied that the room and stable were no problem for her date, however, we do not accept 4-legged animals, on ly 2-legged animals (commonly known as kids) are accepted. (I told them the dogs could stay in the trailer or at the stable.)
She replied that she will have to make other arrangements although she may be contacting me if they cannot find other accommodations. Works for me.

Back